Third Times a Charm?

Pat24601

So, I'm going to try a clam again. I considered taking a $100 bill out of my wallet and burning it, but this seemed like it might last slightly longer.

My first clam died after 6 months my second after about 6 days. I have no idea why in either case. Back then, I watched my parameters like crazy.

So, one thing I'm going to try different this time is wedging it in my live rock in a more stable location so hopefully it's foot is more stable.

My question is do clams need to be straight up and down or is crooked OK?

DaveR11

I'm in the same boat Pat.

I lost my first one to pyramid snails and pinched mantle disease. The second one was really small and I gather they are more difficult to keep. Now I have the copperband I wonder if another would become an expensive dinner for my lovely, quirky characterful CBB....

Pat24601

So, the clam is officially in the water. I'll get a pic tonight. It's foot was sticking out WAY more than my previous clams. I'm not sure if that is good/bad/indifferent. I fear it might be bad as maybe it was damaged somehow before it made it to me, but that's only from what I read.

Regardless, I feel like I put it in a more stable location than I had it before. It hasn't died yet. So, there is that. :)

Pat24601

Im just tagging along. I have been contemplating a clam, and am undecided. Thanks for the great picts. Good luck!

My LFS no longer even carries clams and their floor level employees were discouraging people from buying them when they had them. Maybe I should learn from that.

I love clams, though. I can't think of anything about my tank or my care methods that shouldn't be OK for a clam. We will see...

DaveR11

It's pretty closed up in this pic. Every time I go to take a pic I step in its light.

Also, I never figured out how to make my pics not blue.

View attachment 46186

Hi Pat,

Regarding the blue pics - three options:
  1. Either only have the white lighting on in the tank
  2. Or if your camera can shoot RAW rather than JPEG images you can adjust the white balance after you have taken the pictures using the appropriate software (I use Adobe Lightroom)
  3. Or if your camera has adjustable white balance settings try playing around with it to give a more natural colour
Best of luck,

Dave

Pat24601

Clam still doing awesome. Lived longer than my last one already. :)

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd while my LFS has some. It's been 2 years since they had any. Trying to decide if I should get a Deresa or crocea.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Pat24601

Hi Pat,

Regarding the blue pics - three options:
  1. Either only have the white lighting on in the tank
  2. Or if your camera can shoot RAW rather than JPEG images you can adjust the white balance after you have taken the pictures using the appropriate software (I use Adobe Lightroom)
  3. Or if your camera has adjustable white balance settings try playing around with it to give a more natural colour
Best of luck,

Dave

Thanks! My camera can do this. But, I have to make time to figure it out. :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Get yourself a crocea Pat unless you're willing to give up looootttsss of space for the derasa lol they get pretty big and if they don't ship or acclimatise right they can be a little tricky but crocea are pretty bullet proof :)

Pat24601

Get yourself a crocea Pat unless you're willing to give up looootttsss of space for the derasa lol they get pretty big and if they don't ship or acclimatise right they can be a little tricky but crocea are pretty bullet proof :)

Great advice!

I think you just talked me into it. Not that I was all that hard to talk into...