Alright to add clean up crew?

peter0688

38a3b3a7aadb55079399882e734f8ff9.jpg

Hi everyone I'm second week into cycling my tank here's my results for today I was thinking about adding a clean up crew just wanted a second opinion should I go ahead or wait a bit longer?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

frisbee

I'd wait a little longer, but you could go buy a single snail at the LFS and see what happens. Also, I'm not sure how big your DT is exactly, but when you do buy a CUC start off small. Just as an example, if you had a 20 gallon tank you might want to go with 2 or 3 Trochus snails and maybe one Scarlet hermit crab. See how they do for awhile and adjust the population accordingly. Don't forget though, you are the best janitor that tank will ever see. It's amazing what a little elbow grease can accomplish sometimes. GL.

Last edited:

peter0688

Hi Frisbee

I went to my lfs and got a turbo and two Nassarius snails and there doing fine atm I put this up on another forum and got all yes's so I went ahead but so far so good thx for the reply

dbetts

How is the tank doing now? I added my CUC about the same time into cycling as you did. I did not purchase a turbo snail however because I hear they need quite a bit of food because they eat so much.

peter0688

Hey dbetts the tanks going well thanks ive been battling algae and been trying to get phosphates to where I want them but other that and a big hiccup yesterday but I won't go into that,

On the clean up crew I got 2 turbo snails and there excellent going round the glass and rock no problem. I've also got 3 blue legged hermits had 5 but 2 have passed also have 2 nassurius snails and a peppermint and cleaner shrimp I'm comfortable with all these I feed them pellets called crab cuisine and they all love them

How's your set up going enjoying the hobbie?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dbetts

Sounds great! I was debating getting a turbo snail, so I guess I would have been fine. As for my setup, it's going great! I have a few fish in there now (2 green chromis, a clown, and blue tang). My params have very steady and I purchased a light that I was told would be good when I start adding corals. :)

peter0688

Awesome, i've just got to clowns atm just tacking slowly as for corals I'm still reading up on them I don't think I'm quite ready to start exploring them yet.

cindykz

Hey dbetts the tanks going well thanks ive been battling algae and been trying to get phosphates to where I want them but other that and a big hiccup yesterday but I won't go into that,

On the clean up crew I got 2 turbo snails and there excellent going round the glass and rock no problem. I've also got 3 blue legged hermits had 5 but 2 have passed also have 2 nassurius snails and a peppermint and cleaner shrimp I'm comfortable with all these I feed them pellets called crab cuisine and they all love them

How's your set up going enjoying the hobbie?

How are you liking the peppermint shrimp? It was suggested to me for aiptasia on some rock that I currently have cycling in a Rubbermaid while I wait until I can set up my tank in 2 weeks after some work is completed on our house. I think I got a couple of the larger ones with vinegar, I shot the with a syringe over 24 hours ago and still no sign. But I'm thinking that when I get set up the peppermint would be a nice addition, aiptasia or not.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Lochinvar

38a3b3a7aadb55079399882e734f8ff9.jpg

Hi everyone I'm second week into cycling my tank here's my results for today I was thinking about adding a clean up crew just wanted a second opinion should I go ahead or wait a bit longer?

Hi, I just wonder, did you have the ammonia and nitrite spikes? is it not 2 weeks to quick?