Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Danreef

Wow a truly stellar tank, ive read it before but it still amazes me. I just got some Matrix for my tank, struggling with some no3, due to a high bioload. I used to run a mediarack, but its gone now. Do I need to run the matrix in a bag? Or can I just dump it where the mediarack was before? Im thinking about adding 500 ml at first and the other 500 later.. I`ve converted to Aquaforest productline about a month ago, using the probiotic salt. But yet too see any progress/improvements regarding no3/po4. I try too run my Kh at 7 ish.. Keep it up Dan :)

Thank you !!!!

I have 3 bags of Matrix in the media rack. Bags are good because once a year you can take them out during a WC and clean the accumulated debris using the old salt water. DO NOT USE TAP WATER....DO NOT LET THEM DRY !!!! or you will kill the bacterias.

I stop using the AF Probiotic salt because I can not keep it, already disolved, from one week to the other. With my working life style that is a prblem, so I returned to Reef Crystals.

Best
Daniel

Danreef

UPDATE

Not all are roses. Short Story, I was trying to stabilize the ALK use with the new Probiotic salt from AF, when I had a 4 hours power outage. No one at home. Temp went from 78 to 76 F and ALK jumped to 8.5 dkh. I do not know, by true, what was the cause, but after that I has another 12 hour power outage. This time I was at home and started the generator. It took me a week to get the Alk from 8.5 to ~ 7.5 dkh. Corals stopped growing. I was working on the new consumption triggered by the new salt and all this make the system unstable. The SPS were piss off and stopped growing, not making my life easy. In the middle I needed to travel, as I do every week so calibrating the dossers wasn't easy neither.

Bottom line, I lost 2 Bird Nest colonies. See this picture

I finally took out both:

Left and center bird nests colonies that have gone

The colony at the right of previous picture was relocated 2 inches to the left. It was where the white spot is now:

FTS after i took out those 2 colonies

The story continues............

Danreef

This acro was affected too.

I fragged it.........This first picture I was not able to cut the RTN section, so I cleaned and dipped in antiseptic.

These are the other branches that were far from the RTN

This was the body of the colony.

More coming ..........

Danreef

This weekend went to see a LFS that I did not have any idea that existed. A member of the local club mentioned. it was half hour driving........so I did the trip.

The shop was small, with not to many across, but among the stock I found this:

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME..........AUSSIE SSC !!!!!

Keep your fingers crossed with this baby. Let see if it changes color under the T5 and my tank parameters. I hope it stays as it is.

Last edited:
How do you (or do you) clean your sand bed? Into the hobby less than a year or so and upgraded to the same tank. Cycling now but always thought I'd get to a point where my tank inhabitants clean for me.
Also curious what lights you're running..stock t5 or (looks like) LED kit? Euroquatic E5's are drawing my attention at the moment :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danreef

How do you (or do you) clean your sand bed? Into the hobby less than a year or so and upgraded to the same tank. Cycling now but always thought I'd get to a point where my tank inhabitants clean for me.
Also curious what lights you're running..stock t5 or (looks like) LED kit? Euroquatic E5's are drawing my attention at the moment :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not clean the sand bed at all. I think my clean up crew does it.

I am using T5 with 3x24 W True Lumen pro LED strips.

Best Daniel

Ok thanks daniel.
I use trulumen pros as well in my biocube and love them although I'll be adding another bright white soon. Great value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xCry0x

I do not clean the sand bed at all. I think my clean up crew does it.

I am using T5 with 3x24 W True Lumen pro LED strips.

Best Daniel

Hey - read through your thread, great job.

Just got a RSM 250 and quickly realized I am going to want to add some sort of actinic supplementation for dawn/dusk.

What controller do you use?
Why did you feel 3 strips were needed vs 1 or 2?
Do you have the LEDs on all day or do they cycle off when the t5s come on?

Thanks!

Danreef

I have 3 TrueLumen pro LED 24 " attached to the lid. In the first pages of this thread you will see the pictures. In those pictures there is one of 36". I replaced that one with one 24 " .

The 3 strips have their own ecoxotic light controller for sunrise and Sunset. They stay ON 11 hours and have 1 hour of sunset and another of sunrise.

I do not use moonlight any more.

All the rest in the tank is controlled by an Apex.

Best Daniel

Danreef

Hi all

Sorry I was not posting for a long time, but travels and life keep me busy. I tried to post in all the forums I am a member. But gave up. Because my tank is mainly an SPS tank I decided to stay with my postings at Reef Central, the SPS forum.

I had another crash in January, electric outages at the same time that I decided to migrate to Aquaforest Pro biotic salt made a disaster. You can read on my RC thread details. I belive starting around page 14.

Now I the tank is recovering again. Well, that is life.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2522791

Best
Daniel

xCry0x

Thanks, why 3 strips?

Am asking because I am tossing around the idea of buying a single strip to perform the dawn/dusk.

like the t5 color and don't feel the need for heavily LED supplementation - just hate that I can't have lighting in the tank for most of the day due to not wanting to run t5s 12 hours a day =)

Wondering if 1 strip is enough to get some basic light in the tank for a few hours before/after the t5 photoperiod.

Pat24601

Sorry to hear you went through issues...again! You have had more than your share.

Good pics, though!