Max 250 Skimmer Options

I bought a original Max 250 off of craigslist. It did not come with a skimmer. Doing some research the Deltec MC500 was recommended. Although it is discontinued. So looking for some suggestions on what to use, that is not a hang on the back.

Rekkie

I used the deltec on my 250 for around 5 years and sold it with the tank after i recently upgraded to the reefer 450. Cleaned the air intake at the pump every 6 months and never had a issue with the pump or skimmer.

I would highly recommend it, a bit difficult to clean because of the square skimmer cup but pulled out a consistent dark skim and is easily controllable but would recommend an ATO.

The Deltec MC500 are still being sold new for $525 with free shipping in Australia but not sure if they do international. Also not sure if i can post links to their site but just google thereefshop off the Aussie google.com.au and you will find it.

I think a couple of the Tunze Comline or some of the new models may fit but i have no experience with these.

xCry0x

I believe an aquamaxx ws-1 may fit in the back. An Aquamaxx Hob-1 would be a HOB option that I believe could be modded for in tank. Although they are borderline for the size -- $500 for the deltec is a lot to swallow.

I am a fan of the two aquamaxx skimmers, have had a hob-1 on my nano. Considered running it instead of the stock RSM 250 skimmer, but the stock skimmer seems to work really well (was actually kind of surprised).

pablomay28

I bought a original Max 250 off of craigslist. It did not come with a skimmer. Doing some research the Deltec MC500 was recommended. Although it is discontinued. So looking for some suggestions on what to use, that is not a hang on the back.

I know you dont want an hob but look at the one I had on my 250. It worked better than any tunze would.

This was before they made the internal model. If you get the ws model just make a stand out of egg crate.

Thanks for the video. Im actually considering the Aquamaxx the more I read about them. I just cant afford the $500 for the Deltec so that option is out.

Another option Im considering is what I am running on the back of my C130, a Aqua C Remora. I have thought about just moving that to my 250 when I start that up. Aqua C says its good up to 75 gallons. They also have a Urchin, which is a in sump model although I dont think that will fit in the sump of the 250.

xCry0x

Yea I have my Aquamaxx sitting here and if the stock skimmer wasn't working I would switch it in -- the perk to the HoB is it would free up all that space in the rear chamber -- you could run a giant fuge in there or fill the thing space with marinepure blocks etc.

Out of curiosity, why did you put the Hob-1 in? Did your stock skimmer break or did that work better?

pablomay28

Yea I have my Aquamaxx sitting here and if the stock skimmer wasn't working I would switch it in -- the perk to the HoB is it would free up all that space in the rear chamber -- you could run a giant fuge in there or fill the thing space with marinepure blocks etc.

Out of curiosity, why did you put the Hob-1 in? Did your stock skimmer break or did that work better?

I tried different mods but never really got it to skimm like I wanted it to. I ended up putting some live rock in the chamber and ran the aquamaxx. It skimmed better and ran cooler than the stock skimmer.