Lipstick tang

Allison1981

I wonder if anyone can help for the past two days my tang has been hiding coming out for food and then going back into her cave. Tonight she came out started swimming then went to the bottom of the tank and stayed there she's still breathing she's dark but the lights are off help

DaveK

The first thing to do with a tank is check it over carefully for disease. Tangs are not known as "Ick magnets" for nothing.

Next tell us more about your system. How large is it? What other fish are in with your tang?

Tangs are big fish and require large tanks. They need "running room" Typically a minimum tank size is about 100 gal tank and up.

Allison1981

It's 300 litre tank we have 2 clown fish,peacock wrasse,valentini puffer, mandarin goby sand sifting goby and cleaner shrimp we've had her 2 weeks and we had to take the carbon out of the filter after a day as she had HLLE that's cleared up and she's been happy up until a few days ago

DaveK

I'd say your tank size is marginal, but not your problem.

Usually HLLE doesn't go away quickly, even with the best of care. Possibly it was something else. Also, the other fish in the tank would not typically be issues.

So, we are back to my original point. Check the fish carefully for disease. You may have noticed that tangs have very small scales, and getting any of the usual parasite diseases is very hard on them.

On the outside chance that the fish is reacting to something in the tank, a large partial water change may be in order, and it's not going to hurt.