RSM E260

Jwfish13

Hello everyone, not sure if this is the correct place for this but since i just recently purchased a Redsea Max E260 i figured i would start here. I have the tank up and running (currently cycling) and my aim is to have mostly softies and LPS with a few fish. I am a complete SW beginner and would like advice on stocking... please before i get grief about patience, i am not planning on stocking immediatly, I will do so when the time is right and not before.

So back to my question, the Max E260 is 69 gallons. What can i stock with? Please give me some general ideas of species and numbers so i can research while my tank cycles. Thanks very much in advance.

markwelland

Hi

I have an E170 and was a complete beginner like you 3 months ago!! My advice is to take your time with stocking and find livestock you love before making a purchase. I've made 2 mistakes; a blue cheek goby which has covered my rocks and coral in sand and I added a purple and a red Firefish and they hate each other and are quite aggressive!! I cannot catch either of them to take them back!!

On a more positive note I have a beautiful little baby Sailfin tang and he is such a character. Get them when their very young... Also have a Lyretail Anthia and she's perfect!!

9fd31b5f368203409c1dfede9280da2b.jpg
e7e80b93b83294649a819aa075ba9808.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

On a more positive note I have a beautiful little baby Sailfin tang and he is such a character. Get them when their very young... Also have a Lyretail Anthia and she's perfect!!

I'm not trying to beat up on you or play "tang police", but these are really not good fish choices for a beginner. Tangs quickly grow to be big dirty fish. They also need a lot of "running room". The typical recommended tank size is about 180 gal (680 l). You can get away with a somewhat smaller tank to start with, but you'll soon need to make the choice of getting a much larger tank, or giving, selling, or trading the fish to someone else.

Lyretail anthias also have a large tank requirement, about 126 gal (470 l). They also should be kept in groups, 3 or 4 fish as a minimum. They also should have an almost constant supply of food. This can be a lot to keep up with.

Now it's hardly fair to be critical and not make some suggestions of fish I think make good additions to a reef system, and are fairly easy for a beginner to maintain.

Most of the various species of clown fish. This seem to be the fish everyone statring out wants, and they have a lot to offer.

Banggai cardinal. Another favorite, and easy to care for. It's one of the few SW fish you might be able to breed.

Pajama cardinal. I always liked these. The front of the fish looks completly different from the back.

Royal Gramma. Just about the perfect reef fish. Highly colorful, easy to keep, and a lot of personality.

Flame hawk, long nose hawk, and spotted hawk. Another group of my favorite fish. They are hardy, and easy to keep. They will perch on LR and always seem to take an interest in what your doing. Caution, they will eat shrimp small crabe like hermits and similar inverts.

Most of the dwarf angles. Sometimes they can tear into corals. It depends on the individual fish. If you get one have a plan B in case it doesn't work out.

This is a place to start. There are plenty of other great fish you can add. A lot will depend on what you want to do with the tank.

Oxylebius

So back to my question, the Max E260 is 69 gallons. What can i stock with? Please give me some general ideas of species and numbers so i can research while my tank cycles. Thanks very much in advance.

Once you get the tank cycled, then add your clean up crew. Some online vendors have nice write ups on them and what they tend to eat algae-wise.

A mix of snails and a few crabs (if you like crabs) to start off with will help to keep some algae growth in check before it gets out of hand. Look for a mix of snails like the nerites, cerith, and a couple of turbo snails (Turbo fluctuosa,Trochus sp., Astraea tecta, Turbo castanea). As for crabs, the two small hermits (Paguristes cadenati) and (Calcinus elegans) and theemerald crab (Mithraculus sculptus) are also good choices. If you go with hermit crabs always buy a bag of similar sized shells to add to the tank for them, as they like to move in and out of shells as they grow.

Then you can focus on adding some coral and a fish. My recommendation is to wait a month in between each time you add a fish. This allows your bacteria in the tank to grow in population as you build up your fish (pooping) bio-load.

As for fish, liveaquaria has a handy little guide on the right side of the page that you can use to help choose proper sized fish for the size of tank that you have. And this site has some really good fish write ups as well. Take time to check it out. You don't have to order from there if you can pick up the fish locally, but it is a great resource for info and usually has some fantastic fish selections as well.

And always keep in mind fish compatibility when choosing your fish, here is a good chart.

Jwfish13

Update: Tank has been cycled now for about a month. It all went very smooth and no problems to speak of. Got my first corals last month when my tank cycled and also got a pair of clowns. Slowly added a fish a week and a few corals since.

I will post pics when i learn how on this site lol

Jwfish13

Thanks, I have noticed my zoanthids are growing, each of the frags I have both have new buttons on them.

The clowns are growing also, and one is bigger than the other so one is female yay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

At that size she probably isn't female yet, but on her way to being so. My clowns are happily laying eggs regularly and aren't every very far from each other. Yours are still exploring the tank separately by the looks of that pic. Give them a year or two and they should pair up and you will then see a difference in size.

Jwfish13

Yeah they are still exploring separately, one even looks like it is trying to host my candy cane lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk