Copper on hands

Squatch XXL

Per the title.

I work with copper at times at work. By trade I am a "Pipe Fitter". My personal preference in work is Stainless steel, and carbon steel......However, with my checkbook being my guide I am working on a large scale heating system renovation....which involves lots of copper tubes.

Somehow I avoided the copper work for 4 months, and we are in the home stretch....So in the last 2 weeks I have been laying massive amounts of copper, and my fingers are green. I bite my fingernails, and they taste like pennies.

I am aware that I really should not be reaching into my tank in this condition.....Is there any methods that are finger-safe to remove this? I would like to be able to reach into my tank again...though It is probably best for my corals.

cracker

Hello Squatch, That's a fairly unique situation . Maybe call the poison hotline or such. After all it's probably not good for You either.

Oxylebius

I'd wear gloves if you go into the tank, maybe shoulder length durable gloves, until you are done working w/the copper. I too was wondering if all that copper is good for you. Maybe look into wearing gloves while at work as well?

Squatch XXL

I'd wear gloves if you go into the tank, maybe shoulder length durable gloves, until you are done working w/the copper. I too was wondering if all that copper is good for you. Maybe look into wearing gloves while at work as well?
I do wear gloves. I believe that sanding the ends of the pipes and brushing out the cup of the fittings causes copper "dust" to settle into my gloves....perspiration and water than cause it to soak my hands.

As for if it is bad for me....probably, but based on where I have to crawl around and the stuff I have to crawl through, it is the least of my worries.

Here is a "good" read on some of the effects of copper in the body....Some of which explains the general attitude of most pipefitters/plumbers I know.

http://www.holistic-back-relief.com/copper-toxicity.html

As for me, the heavy copper work has been done, and the green has gone away. It was not bad, but I am certain it was not good. This is unfortunately a side effect of my profession. I have no other professional skills that pay half as much.

Squatch XXL

Explains why you are so good at the DIY projects!
I hate to say, but DIY is a passion not totally associated with my career. I DIY because it is a big time-waste and I think that I learn more about the things I want and need. It also could be ADHD/Insomnia and "racing thoughts" that is caused by acute copper poison lol.....But probably is just that way because I was born with issues lol.

Pat24601

I hate to say, but DIY is a passion not totally associated with my career. I DIY because it is a big time-waste and I think that I learn more about the things I want and need. It also could be ADHD/Insomnia and "racing thoughts" that is caused by acute copper poison lol.....But probably is just that way because I was born with issues lol.

We were all born with issues...