Roster's 75g reef

rostervandross

uYwJu7q.jpg

Very first picture all settled and cycling.

Here it is several days later reorganized and with my old fish and rock. I've kind of tried to create shelves of rock for corals and plenty of nooks and tunnels for fish territory. Is that generally how you all try to set up and structure your rock?

4OebwCL.jpg

Can anyone recommend some reading on setting up a refugium / sump?

And can anyone recommend the test kits they use? I have a Red Sea kit that measures Ca Mg Alk but need something for nitrates and other basic water quality stuff.

:seahorse:

Last edited:

reefin101

salifert makes good tests:
I use red sea for cal & mg
salifert for nitrate & Alk(prefer it over red sea)
Hanna for PO4 & ALK checker as well

rostervandross

Hello everyone. My tank is doing well. Added some livestock; i got a tank's contents from someone converting to freshwater. Lots of live rock, a clownfish that has paired up with mine and a pair of zebra dartfish. Lost the cardinal fish and a fire fish. Traded in some blue damsels that came with them to the local fish store.

Ive added a tail spot blenny that is a very cool fish as well as a midas blenny and a little naso tang that is a bundle of energy and appetite. I love how much personality saltwater fish have.

My most recent additions have been a 250w MH light, a package of corals from a RS member, and a condy anemone which got stuck to my filter intake but is making a miraculous recovery.

I will get a new picture up momentarily.. I was going to ask if I could get my thread title changed to a more appropriate reef chronicle heading. Roster's 75g reef or something of the sort.

rostervandross

Particularly shabby phone camera.

ECPmXie.jpg

1az5m0v.jpg

Tank seems pretty stable. I lost my anemone after all and I went through some diatom algae that passed very quicky.. it seems that adding some phosphate remover really slows down algae growth. I almost need more for everything to eat.

My little vlamingi is so fat and growing very fast. He is a funny thing and both tangs are taking seaweed from my fingers.

rostervandross

Hey everybody, I've got a pretty solid progress picture. This tank is doing great and seems very healthy and established with all sorts of bugs and invertebrate life showing up and multiplying in the live rock. Just a couple months shy of a year old and it seems just teeming with life. I have a nitrate issue I'm going to try to tackle as my next project either with a reactor or a algae scrubber or both. Here's a couple pictures. And I'm really excited about my clownfish spawning underneath the green and purple frogspawn down in the bottom right !

oDeugeC.jpg
2770IId.jpg

rostervandross

Thanks a lot dude! It is a lot of work and it isn't at the same time you know, but it's taken a lot of time and hours of work in expenses. thought i might post a shot of my freshwater tank too with the new light . Stir crayzy walked me through and helped me plan it from scratch with LEDs from rapidled.com. I'm really happy with the spectrum and I think it shows well through the picture too

xFOe4il.jpg

rostervandross

Thanks a lot stir!!

One of my favorite fish this guy here. He eats almost everything and is fat and active. Thankfully. I got him several months ago without doing my research into them and how many have trouble eating in captivity and is a joy to have survive and healthy and great character
tD0Puya.jpg

drZHk87.jpg

Did a small rearrangement after taking some corals and rocks into the cube tank . I need to get a photo of the clownfish eggs, you can see them down in the bottom right