New SW fish tank (brown spots popping up)

dougweis

Hey guys so I've had my cycle going for about 5 weeks now. Ammonia dropped down to .25 finally everything else at 0 but my nitrates are up to 10 ppm. Is this normal nitrates seem a bit high did a 30% water change the other day still reading the same. Now I come home to brown spots all over my coral and sand. I try to net most of it out but it's pretty rapid and now it's becoming more and more every day. Any advice would greatly be appreciated! Thanks

DaveK

Just leave things alone. Algae blooms are not unusual in a new tank. The brown spots are usually diatoms, and they will die off in a few weeks.

A 30% water change should have reduced nitrate by 30%. Are you using RO/DI water to mix your salt? Test your new water and see if your getting a reading there.

Your nitrate reading is not unusual. With an ammonia reading or .25 your tank is on it's way but the initial cycle isn't complete.

dougweis

It should be rodi water I get it pre mixed from the local shop. I plan on testing it my next water change.
Not a fan on just leaving it my tank was beautiful before his happened Haha. Is there anything to slow it down? Clean the filter?

Jwfish13

Trust me, I just went through the uglies with my new tank. About 2 weeks of the brown rust colored diatoms. Today I noticed that there was not a need to clean the glass. Just leave it be, there is really nothing that can be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

peter0688

Hey doug

I'm a beginner and going through the same during cycling, im 4 weeks in on my new tank and I've accepted that it's all part of the process it might look bad but add a cuc when your levels are safe they will sort most of it out and keep and eye on your phosphate levels I'm no expert but reading forums or any sort of information helps a lot to make your mind up on what you thinks best to do

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk