Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

Today I am making a typhoon in my tank using a diatom filter. I do this once or twice a year to stir up the gravel as much as I can right down to the UG filter plates. The fish seem to like it but the corals always look mad, they will get over it.
In my tank this needs to be done as I run water in reverse through the gravel and if I didn't occasionally do this, the gravel would clog.

This is from an older typhoon a few years ago as I see I had my old lights then. Today I am only using one diatom filter but in my reef, two are really needed. I just don't have the time today.

Paul B

I just noticed that this is the 100th page of this thread.

I just bot back from a great day of boating. Those are my favorite kind of days. It was low tide so of course I went collecting. Amphipods are much more numerous last month but I got a nice haul. Maybe a few hundred but I didn't count them. I also collected some mud (for the bacteria) and some mud snails (by accident) My fish are smiling and all is good.

Paul B

While doing some cleaning up in my workshop I came across my fish tank logs from 1974 until the 90s. I listed what I paid for fish, how much they cost, where I bought them and how long they lived. When I get time I will scan some of it and post some of it. This was way before computers so it is mostly hand written until we got an Apple 2 computer in the 90s. I can't scan it all as it is to long but I will look for the more interesting stuff.
I also noticed my tank had some diseases like HLLE and how I cured it.

On another topic, I installed this thing on my boat that tells you how much fuel each engine is using. I wanted to do this for a long time, so a week ago it came in and I went to the marina to install it. It took a couple of hours to install because the cables have to be snaked from the engines to the dashboard and these sensors have to be cut into the gas lines. When I turned it on I got nothing. I checked all my connections, tested the power a few times (the thing needs to be fed power from 3 different locations) Nothing. So I called the company that makes the thing and this technician talks me through all the steps. It is all hooked up correctly. He tells me to take home the chip and update it.

The next day I go there with the updated chip, turn it on and ........Nothing.

So I call again and go through the same thing with another technician. He decides my unit is defective and tells me they are sending me an entirely new unit. It arrived yesterday and today I go there and install the new unit. Turn it on and I get......Nothing.

I call back and this time I get a female. She was very nice and I knew she must be a Supermodel. But I didn't think this Supermodel would know how to fix my problem. Well, I was wrong. I love this girl. I explained the problem to her and we went through the same steps I have done four or five times. Now I am in the engine compartment checking the power connections. She asks if the red wire goes to power? I say yes. Then she asks if the striped wire goes to ground? I say, No. She says, Why not? I say, because in your instructions, it clearly states that if you are not using this to tell you how much gas you have left in your tank, "do not connect the striped wire, instead, connect the brown wire to ground".

She says, Oh yeah, that's a mistake in the instructions........"A WHAT, in the WHAT?" . A mistake in the instructions! And when exactly was I supposed to know about that? I spent the better part of 3 days trying to fix this thing.

But the Supermodel was very nice and talked me through it. She is going to tell someone to change the instructions. So a Supermodel saved my day and all is well.

Last edited:

Paul B

I was just on my deck feeding my tomato plants when I noticed a wasp nest in my air conditioner. I didn't know if it was an old nest as I didn't see any wasps. So I (smartly) banged on the air conditioner and immediately got my answer. One of them, the meanest one I assume because he seemed to have a tattoo on his ankle, made a "Beeline" or more accurately a "Waspline" for my face. He was to quick for me and got me between my eyes. It feels like I got hit with a hammer. A small hammer but a hammer none the less. Not to worry. I got even with him and he won't be siring any more babies. The rest of his family also better have better insurance than Obamacare because they are going to need it.

Paul B

I had this guy in my tank for quite a while and he got pretty big. But he always looked sad so a few weeks ago I went on E Harmony/Crab.com and found him a date.
When I first put her in I thought it was love at first sight because he "ran" right over to her. But it was really love at first bite as he quickly got her into a Ricky Nelson.
(Headlock for you kids) I quickly removed the both of them from the water until he got the idea and let her go. Then I released them on opposite sides of the tank so they could be properly introduced gradually.
Now I am happy to report that they spend quality time together and sometimes hold hands, or claws.
I hope to mate them but I think they are way ahead of me. I have not had arrow crabs spawn in my reef in many years and I am excited for it to happen. I know I won't be able to raise them but that's not the point.
They hang in the dark in the back of the tank but if I can get a shot of the both of them, I will try to get it. In the meantime, this is just him, handsome devil that he is.

Paul B

The tank is still doing well. No problems, no diseases, no quaranting etc. I have lost some corals in the last couple of years. A couple of nice bubble corals and a bunch of acropora. I don't care about the acropora because that was the clown gobies that spawned all over it and killed it.. I have quite a bit of montipora and it seems that everything kills that so it has a hard time growing to big. The gorgonians sway into it and kill it. The sponges grow fast and block the light as do the large encrusting gorgonians and green star polyps. I keep giving away pieces of blue sponge, but it keeps growing. I kind of like it. I can't remember the last time I lost a fish but I am sure it was from jumping out. I think I have all the holes covered now so it is hard for something to get out.
The bluestripe pipefish and fireclowns are still spawning although I have not seen the bangai cardinals spawn in a while. They grew very large and it is hard to get enough food to them without dumping large clam pieces in there as they have huge mouths. I can get them to start spawning again with just a little more food but they are very healthy and old.
I have 3 filter feeding anemone crabs which I target feed as I do all my animals. The clingfish I especially target feed as he is a large eater but very lazy and probably near sighted because you need to put food right near him. Unless he is just a Sissy and afraid to come out in the open.
I am going to try to list the fish, (but I am sure I will leave some out)
Copperband
2 fireclowns
clingfish
queen anthius
2 bluestripe pipefish
2 mandarins
2 bangai cardinals
leopard wrasse
some other kind of anthius
watchman gobi
2 other gobie's
2 yellow wrasses
striped (who knows what it is wrasse)
clown gobi
Some wired pipefish
And this guy

There are also 3 anemone crabs and 2 arrow crabs. I have no idea how many hermit crabs or other crabs there are.
In the summer I collect amphipods and mud a few times. The tank is at 80 degrees and that is about the only parameter I know.

Yesterday I was at my boat and I thought I blew an engine. I got the horrors because first of all, that would be very expensive and second of all, I would be boatless for the rest of the summer and I don't know how to live without a boat.
I changed the oil in both engines and when I shut down the port engine, it backfired and turned in reverse for one or two revolutions. In a boat, that is not good. I heard a big BANG!!!%#$Clank*&%$#BANK%$#&SWOOSH and another BANG. Then, nothing. It wouldn't start or even crank. Nothing, Nada, Kapoot. I thought by the sound I broke a connecting rod.
The marine mechanic just happened to be near me so I went over to him. (I am sure I frantically ran over to him practically shoving him into the water)
He told me that on my marine engine, and most marine engines, when that happens, the engine pumps water into the cylinders stopping the pistons from rising. Like Duh, of course. I was a car mechanic and cars don't do that. So all I had to do was to remove all the spark plugs from that engine and crank the starter. When I did that, about a gallon of water shot from the cylinders. I let out a loud sigh of relief because I knew that was the problem. I put the plugs back and after a few minutes of cranking my baby hummed back to life and my boating season is saved.

Paul B

I haven't seen my male arrow crab in a few days so I know he is under a rock someplace growing a new shell as he must have shed.
I also noticed 4 or 5 places on one of my yellow wrasses where he had some parasites on his tail. I view this as a good thing because I want parasites in my tank and because I never quarantined, and I collect mud, amphipods and water from the sea, I would be very surprised if there were no parasites.
The parasites on that particular fish are no longer there. The fishes immune system more than likely either killed the parasites or the parasites completed their cycle and fell off. Either way, the fishes immune system was enhanced as it is in nature because all wild fish are exposed to parasites continuously during their lifetimes. Parasites are natural and they evolved right alongside fish. If wild fish never encountered parasites, they would have no natural defense against them. But they do. Of course if we deny them the presence of parasites for a long time. (I am not sure how long) they will lose that immunity and be susceptible to them if they are encountered. That is why if we quarantine, we must be very careful never to add any parasites as those fish will have no immunity and will most likely die.
Here is something I just found on the web about this. I deleted a lot of the information that was irrelevant to our hobby.

Journal of ISSN: 2378-3184JAMB
Aquaculture & Marine Biology

Volume 3 Issue 1 - 2015

Parasites as Health Indicators in Wild Fish Populations

Gonzalo Illán*

Independent Aquaculture Consultant, Spain

Received:October 24, 2015| Published: October 29, 2015

*Corresponding author: Gonzalo Illán, Independent Aquaculture Consultant, El Chopo 26, apt. 109, 40196 La Lastrilla, Segovia , Spain, Tel: +34610425220; Email: gonzaloillan@hotmail.com

Citation: Illán G (2015) Ciguatera, an Emerging Human Poisoning in Europe. J Aquac Mar Biol 3(1): 00055.DOI: 10.15406/jamb.2015.03.00055

Abstract

Here, we present you another opinion, based on the conclusions of some researchers, about a new role for the fish parasite communities, this time as helpers and indicators of the health status of the wild fish populations and the whole aquatic ecosystem.

Keywords: Parasites; Fish populations; Mortalities; Health indicators; Water quality

Introduction

Parasites play a key role in natural ecosystems, mainly considering that their life cycles are developed among different hosts, either vertebrates or invertebrates. Hence they play an important role on the ecological balance of the aquatic ecosystems, sometimes acting as a control mechanism of the size of wild fish populations. Whether we see them or not, in natural populations of animals and plants, parasites are always present, normally under a complex and dynamic balance within the populations of living things.

Conclusion

Under normal circumstances, fish, the apex of most aquatic trophic chains, are always infected by a considerable number of parasites. However, there may occur a slight change within the environment, of natural or anthropic origin, the scenario may change in a very significant way, affecting the parasite-host balance and thus leading to an epizootic situation where one or more types of parasites can thrive. This situation may last for long depending on how affected has been the balance and the health status of the fish population. Even though the original situation may come back to normal eventually, and a new balance can be established again, these populations can lose a part of their members during the disease outbreak [2].

As expected, the human intervention on the fish habitat usually makes things worse. It’s being observed that some hydraulic modifications have caused a negative effect on the hydrological, physicochemical and biological parameters of the water, leading to the impoverishing of the fragmented habitat and the life conditions for the fish populations

Paul B

I really need to clean my powerheads today as they have a bunch of growth on them which is impeding the flow. Flow is very important and I like to see the water sloshing all over the place. In the sea the water moves much faster than we can provide in a tank. I also need to scrape the algae scrubber.

I have been neglecting my tank due to my wife's illness. (she has MS) Lately she has been in a lot of pain and I just don't get the ambition when she is like that, not that the pain ever goes away. But maintaining the tank is not as important than having a wife in a good mood and pain will crash a mood in seconds.

I am going to try to keep my tank going at least until it is fifty years old in 5 years. I am not sure what will happen then as we may move to a smaller home or condo. It depends on her health.

I am at the point in my life where I don't need money or time. I just need my wife cured.

deaclauderdale

I haven't seen my male arrow crab in a few days so I know he is under a rock someplace growing a new shell as he must have shed.
I also noticed 4 or 5 places on one of my yellow wrasses where he had some parasites on his tail. I view this as a good thing because I want parasites in my tank and because I never quarantined, and I collect mud, amphipods and water from the sea, I would be very surprised if there were no parasites.
The parasites on that particular fish are no longer there. The fishes immune system more than likely either killed the parasites or the parasites completed their cycle and fell off. Either way, the fishes immune system was enhanced as it is in nature because all wild fish are exposed to parasites continuously during their lifetimes. Parasites are natural and they evolved right alongside fish. If wild fish never encountered parasites, they would have no natural defense against them. But they do. Of course if we deny them the presence of parasites for a long time. (I am not sure how long) they will lose that immunity and be susceptible to them if they are encountered. That is why if we quarantine, we must be very careful never to add any parasites as those fish will have no immunity and will most likely die.
Here is something I just found on the web about this. I deleted a lot of the information that was irrelevant to our hobby.

Journal of ISSN: 2378-3184JAMB
Aquaculture & Marine Biology

Volume 3 Issue 1 - 2015

Parasites as Health Indicators in Wild Fish Populations

Gonzalo Illán*

Independent Aquaculture Consultant, Spain

Received:October 24, 2015| Published: October 29, 2015

*Corresponding author: Gonzalo Illán, Independent Aquaculture Consultant, El Chopo 26, apt. 109, 40196 La Lastrilla, Segovia , Spain, Tel: +34610425220; Email: gonzaloillan@hotmail.com

Citation: Illán G (2015) Ciguatera, an Emerging Human Poisoning in Europe. J Aquac Mar Biol 3(1): 00055.DOI: 10.15406/jamb.2015.03.00055

Abstract

Here, we present you another opinion, based on the conclusions of some researchers, about a new role for the fish parasite communities, this time as helpers and indicators of the health status of the wild fish populations and the whole aquatic ecosystem.

Keywords: Parasites; Fish populations; Mortalities; Health indicators; Water quality

Introduction

Parasites play a key role in natural ecosystems, mainly considering that their life cycles are developed among different hosts, either vertebrates or invertebrates. Hence they play an important role on the ecological balance of the aquatic ecosystems, sometimes acting as a control mechanism of the size of wild fish populations. Whether we see them or not, in natural populations of animals and plants, parasites are always present, normally under a complex and dynamic balance within the populations of living things.

Conclusion

Under normal circumstances, fish, the apex of most aquatic trophic chains, are always infected by a considerable number of parasites. However, there may occur a slight change within the environment, of natural or anthropic origin, the scenario may change in a very significant way, affecting the parasite-host balance and thus leading to an epizootic situation where one or more types of parasites can thrive. This situation may last for long depending on how affected has been the balance and the health status of the fish population. Even though the original situation may come back to normal eventually, and a new balance can be established again, these populations can lose a part of their members during the disease outbreak [2].

As expected, the human intervention on the fish habitat usually makes things worse. It’s being observed that some hydraulic modifications have caused a negative effect on the hydrological, physicochemical and biological parameters of the water, leading to the impoverishing of the fragmented habitat and the life conditions for the fish populations

Great info Paul thank you. I'm seeing more and more refers coming to the realization that our tanks are not to be kept totally 'sterile'. I subscribed wholehearted to this- zero po4, zero nitrites, zero everything- and now I'm more into keeping things like the ocean. While the article is still a bit unnerving, I won't be QT'ing my fish as normal.

Reef keeping is life!

Paul B

Thank you for posting. We will soon learn that eliminating bacteria and parasites is counter productive.

deaclauderdale

Thank you for posting. We will soon learn that eliminating bacteria and parasites is counter productive.
Paul how do we safely manage this in our systems? Yes I've been following your thread but at the end of the day I'm not performing the husbandry on your system. How do we allow these bacteria and natural checks & balances systems into our reef when there is the ability for disaster to occur. I've always attributed your success to your proximity and access to the ocean, but for others how can we achieve what it is that your doing?

I ask this because there have to be certain parasites that we don't want to introduce as we don't have the ability to control with natural predation...i.e. AEFW. I get it with the fish, a healthy immune system allows for higher tolerance and the ability to fight infection but corals in foggy on.

Reef keeping is life!

DaveK

I can't speak for @Paul B but I will make a few observations. His system is unique. I don't know of anyone else running anything close to it. He uses a lot methods and techniques that most of us can not imitate, even if we wanted to. For example, Paul uses mud that he has gathered locally. If you don't live someplace close to where you can gather similar mud, you can't duplicate his method.

This is why I do not doubt him when he says he doesn't quarantine, and doesn't think he has any need to. If you have a system like that, then go and do likewise. However, if you have a system more or less what the rest of us have, or you have ever had a system just about wiped out due to disease problems, then I recommend you quarantine religiously.

Keep this in mind, it's a lot easier to keep a system out of trouble than it is to get it out of trouble.

Paul B

Deaclauderdale, I get asked that a lot. Actually my system always had an infusion of bacteria and mud. I am not sure the tiny percent of NSW I use is of any consequence. I have not even collected any in probably 8 months. I do add a little mud and did last week. But I am not sure that would do anything for the fishes immune system. I do that for the bacteria in the substrate to control nitrates. Does it do anything? I have no idea. I think the big secret is not the mud or NSW. I think it is the natural food with the live bacteria and possibly parasites associated with it. Many of us fail to feed properly. Just because a commercial food comes in a nice package with an angelfish on the front and is very expensive does not mean it is a good food. It could be, but most foods state right on the package
"irradiated to kill harmful bacteria and parasites" To me, that is a No no. We need to get live bacteria and parasites into our tank and the live bacteria should be in their food every day.
But before we expose the fish to parasites, they should be in excellent condition and spawning or making spawning jestures. DaveK and many people feel this is unattainable. I think they just don't understand how simple it really is. All it takes is some whole foods such as clams and live foods almost every day such as live blackworms. That is all you need. Clams are filter feeders and accumulate tons of minerals including calcium which is missing from many foods. They also contain bacteria as do live worms.
Fish in the sea eat live food at "every" meal. Fish in the sea are exposed to parasites "every day". That is what keeps their immune system ready to kill any parasite that attacks it. If you quarantine for a long period of time the fish will lose it's parasite immunity. Fish come to us already immune from the sea and they probably already have parasites. They are natural and normal and needed by the fish to even have an immune system.
We are in the dark ages when it comes to fish diseases. There are just as many tank crashes now as there was in the 70s. Just search on this or any other forum as to how many tanks crashed even if they were quarantined. You don't have to listen to me, just look it up.
In the 1900s my Grand Parents came here through Ellis Island. If they were found to be sick, they were quarantined.
I can put any parasite or bacteria infected fish in my reef, and do, and nothing will happen.
That's not magic or due to mud. That is because my fish are eating correctly. They are eating foods with live bacteria and parasites.
When I went to Viet Nam I lived in the jungle for the entire year, I never came out. I took an anti malaria pill every day or I was almost certain to get malaria. The Vietnamese people who were born there didn't have any pills and they rarely got malaria. That is because they were bitten every day by malaria carrying mosquitoes and were immune. As long as they had food to eat and were in good shape, they were fine. If they got severely wounded or something else happened to them, they may have died from malaria just as my fish may die from parasites if the heater broke or a Supermodel dropped her hair Goo into my tank.
All my paired fish are spawning. That means they are as healthy as they can be which is the first step in revving up their immune system. If fish can't or won't spawn (or at least make spawning jestures because they are alone) they are not healthy and their immune system will not make antibodies against parasites. This is not rocket science but we make it difficult. Just look at what fish eat in the sea. Did you ever see a wild fish eating flakes or pellets?
Most people on here are smarter than I am. All I have is more experience which means that I made all the mistakes and killed more fish than Starkist Tuna. In a long lifetime I learned how to get and keep fish healthy and it is extreamly simple. I write about it al the time and even wrote a book because I got tired of posting the same thing.
Everyone says my tank is an enigma. It is only an enigma because I found out that the correct food will make the fish immune. Immune means I can put anything in the tank and any bacteria or parasites will just make my fish stronger. Is that a bad thing?
Here is one article I wrote about immunity. I am sure you saw it. http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/marine-fish-heal-through-slime-3962/
If I were you, I would start feeding my fish, every day with something live like blackworms. Earthworms work as well. Then I would feed only whole foods such as clams. Not squid, shrimp, fish fillets or scallop as those are only the muscle of the creature. They need the guts and a clam is almost all guts. In the sea fish eat nothing but whole creatures, bones and all. Don't feed any dry foods. In a few weeks your fish should be in breeding condition. Their colors will pop and they will probably bite you when you stick your hand in there. Your paired fish will spawn.
That is the secret to keeping fish healthy. Immunity from parasites is harder especially if you quarantined your fish for a long time. But that can come in time.
Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

deaclauderdale

So well fed fish (on proper foods) equal no quarantine as there immune system will function properly. Makes sense. What about corals, how do you handle (if you've ever had) red bugs, flatworms, etc? I've always been of the mindset that what we consider pest or only 'pest' because we house them in such a small environment very the ocean, but that in the ocean they are simply a function part of the ecosystem and play their designated role.

Reef keeping is life!

Paul B

The proper food "with" it's associated live bacteria. Not a varied diet, but a diet that the fish need. Bacteria is the key. Fish are not like us. We can live and "spawn" no matter what condition we are in. Our immune system will also function if we are near starvation. A fishes system is different and those systems will not work. I didn't make this up, you can Google a fishes immune system. There is so much new information now about the health giving properties in gut bacteria in us, and fish. But the fish needs to be in great condition through whole foods with the guts and bacteria.
My tank had flatworms a couple of years back. It may be on this thread. They didn't do anything to the corals and in a month or two got bored and disappeared. I have also never dipped a coral in insecticide or anything else and never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky or maybe it comes from the mud I add. I really don't know why my tank is not afflicted with those things.
A quarantined system functions because the fish are sterile, their environment is sterile and their guts are sterile. This is like the boy in the bubble. It can work but it is un natural and un healthy. If those fish are subject to almost anything, they will die as they have no immunity. Immunity is not only to protect the fish but the process of being immune also enhances other functions in fish. Fish in the sea are "always" pregnant. That is their normal state. Are your fish pregnant? That is the reason most fish don't spawn in captivity. They are sterile and have no immunity. Most fish are in horrible health. Fish should be pregnant, never get sick and live for their normal lifespan which in some fish is 25 or 30 years. Most gobies and smaller fish should live at least 10 or 12 years. If they are not, why not?
If you lived in a town where virtually everyone died in their teens would you want to live there?
I don't make a lot of friends with my theories. Most people think inside that old box. But gradually the thinking is changing. People are wondering why there are so many disease problems in a hobby that is 45 years old. Just go on the disease thread and be horrified.
That upper pipefish is always pregnant. Always. That is the condition all fish are supposed to be in and it is very simple. He eats live new born brine shrimp every day in a feeder I designed. I can train him to eat cornflakes, apple pie or beef jerky. But I want to see pregnant. immune fish and that is what I am seeing.

These fireclowns spawn so much it is nauseating. And the larger one is 25 years old.

Watchman gobi with her eggs, that she laid for 12 years.

These guys constantly spawn because of the proper food.

The normal state of a female mandarin.

How bad are my practices? This all comes from the proper food and bacteria, that is all.

anarchy

Whats your suggestion for foods for herbivores like tangs who not only need the fresh food but also algae? Do you think the dried seaweed is good enough or should we be feeding our tangs different kinds of algae?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Paul B

Dried seaweed is not good enough because of the same problem with dried (sterile) foods. Dried seaweed is fine but I would supplement it "every day" with clams and, if possible, live worms. Mysis are not bad but they are mostly shell so salt water clams are much better. Tangs are considered by many to be ich magnets. They get that more than other fish due to their habit of living in large schools and the lack of that in a tank. That stresses them out because they never live alone. They also eat live, fresh, bacteria covered seaweeds in the sea which is nothing like dried nori that we give them. It makes a huge difference.

"Ingredients-clam"