DIY Resealing and removal of plastic frame.

Squatch XXL

Size of drains is directly related to pump flow. How much flow are you planning? If you have a plastic frame bottom, the foam is pointless.
After working on this tank for the last 3+ months, I've made a discovery. The plastic they used for the frames sucks. I don't know how or what caused it, but EVERY corner on both the top and bottom is cracked nearly perfectly through. It almost looks like it was glued together on the corners, but there is no glue.....My guess is that it is poor plastic composition. With this being a used buy, I am left on my own to guess. I see no signs of abuse, no dings etc. There are marks on the remaining plastic that show me it was slid around on something slightly abrasive. I simply don't trust the frame to hold downward pressure. The frame is going away when the tank shows me it holds water without leaks.

I have not planned a pump yet, but I may go with a mag drive 9.5. I have never had a mag drive fail. I found a DIY overflow setup for a bit over $100 that allegedly handles 1200gph. I will probally spring for it just because I can't justify my time versus the cost....Plus it comes with the drill bit needed.

Squatch XXL

don't know how or what caused it, but EVERY corner on both the top and bottom is cracked nearly perfectly through.
I figured it out. The glass sides were cut too long by 1/16" (just a guess). This makes the glass press against the plastic causing stress. I noticed while I filled it up. It is the only reason that all 8 corners would be cracked the exact same way that I can figure.

Too soon to judge success, but no immediate critical failure.

Squatch XXL

So Your concerned about the bottom plastic frame? I think Your good!
No not at all. I planned on removing it AFTER I leak tested. There is quite a bit of silicone holding it on. Up to this point, if it leaks I am done exerting effort on what will end up being a mouse cage for my kids.

However, since it holds water, and does not seem to be exploding, I can move along.

I am removing the bottom frame. It is big and ugly, and at this point serves no purpose. I will be incorporating some molding into the stand to cover up where they were. I plan on saving the "Made in 1994" sticker....they didn't leave enough room for me to write "overhauled in 2016" next to it lol.

Squatch XXL

Tank has been drained. No failures detected. Wet on the inside, dry everywhere else.

Still trying to decide if I should make a peninsula or an in-wall. There are a plethora of pros and cons to my discussion, and unfortunately there has been an argument in my head about it for the last 2 days.

The in-wall argument is that it would allow me to setup a sump just about wherever I want, including right beside it and at only a slightly lower elevation. It would be a more friendly setup to a fish-tinkerer. Id not need to worry about making the stand look nice, as it would be in a room. It would be tied into the existing wall, so it would be as sturdy as the wall.

The peninsula argument is that with this being 2 foot wide, it allows for creative rockwork that will allow corals and life to be visible from 3 sides. If there is a sump, it would have to be underneath. 3 feet long by 2 feet wide does not leave lots of room for a sump and possibly an ATO.....I don't know that I would feel comfortable without at least a 30g sump.....Not to mention the stand would need to be finished so it didn't look like some garage shelf. I would need to secure the feet directly to the floor to make me feel better about stand stability.

After they have a reasonable argument, they then start slinging insults about each other's mother and her apparent obesity....Again, this is all in my head.

SaltNoob

Can you corner edge wall it to get two viewing angles? So not an inward corner but an outward corner.

Or is that what you were gonna do?

Squatch XXL

My indecision finally resolved itself this fine and sunny afternoon. While I grilled whole chickens over pecan wood I got out some tools. No fingers were lost today.

I have about 4-5 hours involved with cutting, measuring etc. The floor is uneven where I wanted to build it, so I had to "miter" the bottom frame so it fit the floor, and was square with the top shelf. I am no carpenter, so I don't know all the cool terms.

I decided on a peninsula in the family room. I can pipe the supply and returns out to the laundry room which is 5 feet away to the right of the next photo.

I have 4 more support legs to cut. They will be in the long sides in the vertical orientation.

I have a plan for "skinning" the whole setup, but because I don't cut wood professionally I cannot even describe it. Pictures will follow in the coming weeks.

To Do:

Get overflow kit.
Fill with water
Praise the Sun

Last edited:

Squatch XXL

Looks good Man. I like how You shimmed the sides and corners for level.
Thanks!

It took a bit of measuring and tweaking. Not only is my floor not level, it is not "flat" either. There are ways to doodle the exact change in elevations, and Ill be totally honest....I cannot describe it in words.....but I will try.

I got my first long side "level" On the top, and drug a pencil along the ground marking the side of the lumber. I did the second side the same. Thankfully the "short" sides were flat, so I just connected the difference.

Its a shame that most of the words I use are only four letters. I hate shims. I am always afraid of them being kicked out or some other thing that results in strange bending of the tank.

Squatch XXL

Holidays weekends make for great time to do selfish projects.

I may do water next weekend. Sump is going to be another basic fish tank with an area large enough for a skimmer and heater. 38 gallon sump.

Is there any other sump alternatives?

Squatch XXL

did some work today. Rock was pulled from cure tub @ approx 150lb The 2 pieces against the back wall are large agrocrete. The rest is medium sized florida mined rock.

I only filled to the overflow to cover the rocks while the tank gets situated. I still need crushed coral or sand....and haven't decided. I need to make the sump, and possibly hide it in the wife's laundry room nearby. Sump is going to be my typical bare-bones heater and skimmer storage. I had a bunch of cured oyster etc shells that were sterilized and cured. I just threw them in with the tank. Im thinking they are just substrate fill and future frag plugs.

If the tank does not explode over the next 8 weeks, I will continue the project past the sump and 100% full.