Most cost effective purchased Frag Plugs?

Squatch XXL

Per the topic.

I am looking into fragging/propagation while I plan a move from a 40g to an 85g tank. It could be months away, and in the interim, I am looking to grow-out some of my cyphaestra and encrusting monties.....possibly some of my zoas and pocci, but that is different.

I can DIY plugs, but I would make them with agrocrete. I don't feel like waiting 2-6 weeks for the agrocrete to fully cure, so I am looking for recommendations for cost effective plugs.

Basically where are the best/cheapest basic ceramic or pre-cured plugs.

Squatch XXL

Just to respond to my own thread....

I just picked up an 8 pack of 6"x3" travertine natural rock "tile" from the local brick and mortar store for a bit under $4 dollars. IF I choose to cut it into 1"x1" frag squares, it would produce 144 squares. This sort of thing would be more for the DIY forums however.

cracker

Squatch, I just did a little surfing on ceramic tiles for plugs. some were using the tiles made up of 1 inch squares glued together with mesh . They peeled the mesh and boiled off the glue. You probably already know that. This thread got my interest for a different reason. I want to stack them and make legs for several large base rocks to lift them off the sand bed. Thanks for the idea !

Squatch XXL

Squatch, I just did a little surfing on ceramic tiles for plugs. some were using the tiles made up of 1 inch squares glued together with mesh . They peeled the mesh and boiled off the glue. You probably already know that. This thread got my interest for a different reason. I want to stack them and make legs for several large base rocks to lift them off the sand bed. Thanks for the idea !
I was actually looking for the 1x1 tiles, but I did not really want to pick at the adhesive (like REALLY REALLY did not). I was pretty well stoked when I found what I did in the size that I did. It gives me more than a few options for frag bases...I would rather use my saw to create the frag base in the size I want. In the last 7 months I picked up a cyphaestra ( tyree japonica) and I want to test theories on how fast I could colonize certain shapes....In a way this is totally about experimentation with growth....I am curious, and I want to see things first hand to prove or disprove my theory.

I am in the process of setting up a small frag tank tied into my 40g display. I have more than a few corals that I don't mind putting into long term growth....and as it goes, my current DT may end up being a frag tank in the future as well.

cracker

Good luck with Your project. I will look into the stuff You bought. I have a buddy with a table saw.

Squatch XXL

Here is a 3" x 3" square with a hole drilled for a larger frag plug. I tried to grow it as fast as possible, but I think I could just swap plugs in and out in a few weeks.

Its just starting to spread to the tile.

I am still waiting for the zoas to move onto the tile. I only relocated some of them a week ago. I will post a photo of them as it goes also.

Squatch XXL

Cyphaestra growing out onto a full tile.

Cyphaestra is fast growing, and could be a nusance. I expect to be able to cover that tile in 3-6 months.....for what reason, I don't know. I have enough on my rockwork already. It starts out reddish, then slowly turns shades of teal to green. The light in the picture is really blue.....I missed an afternoon shot.

Squatch XXL

This was a 1" square piece I cut off with a grinder and a diamond wheel. The frag is spreading off. This is from my first acro frag, so watching it "oooze" over something is pretty slick. I doubt it would be a good solution for branching SPS in the shape of a square, but if it were to be rounded in an irregular pattern, it would blend in quickly.

cyphastra continues to grow over the tile. In the next few days, I will pry up the frag disc, and move it somewhere else on the tile and let it grow out.

montipora creeping out to the edges of a 2" square with a 1/2" hole in the middle. I can pop this plug out, than just set a new one in. I was not aware of how fast this grows. I will probally smash it to pieces, and seed one section with it.

montipora on a tile with 3 rubble rocks in contact. 2" square with a 1/2" hole in the middle. The rocks have more than enough growth to relocate or be further split to create frag plugs. For some reason I beveled the edge of this tile. There was no reason, and there has been no benefit. Simple goal has been met.

Zoas on the substrate on a 2" square. Tile was pre-cut, than glued back together with super glue. It will be easy to snap apart when ever the tile gets filled.