Ordered new T5 Bulbs

Squatch XXL

Currently hanging over my tank is a 4-pack of ATI bulbs. 2 actinic, one Coral Plus and one Aquablue special.

I found a great deal on Giesmann bulbs, and purchased 7 of them. Why on earth did I just buy 7 friggin bulbs? Well, simply there was free shipping on orders over $75...

I grabbed: 2 Actinic blue, 2 aquablue coral, 2 superpurple and 1 tropic.

They were priced at less than half the MSRP, so in my mind I can justify it. I will eventually find a color combination that suits me....either way, no matter how I run them corals will grow. I haven't decided if I am just going to change out all 4 at one time, or do it over a few days. I may just change out the actinics, than ease into the new "daylight" combo.

Another option that I am bouncing around....I have a spare Coralife Dual power compact ballast and plugs. I may use this to add a pair of PC actinics, and just use my 4 bulb for the "daylight" colors. This would be an option for my upcoming 85g.

Anyone use Giesmann? How do they compare to ATI? Am I being overly concerned about light bulbs?

Last edited:

DaveK

Looks like you got a fantastic deal on T5 bulbs. T5 is far from bad light.

As for Coralife Dual power compact fixture, if you already have the bulbs or can get them cheep, then use it. Otherwise get a T5 fixture or an upgrade kit for the existing fixture. CFLs are a lot less effective compared to T5s, because you can't get a really good reflector behind a CFL. A T5 bulb with a good reflector behind it will give you more light for less cost compared to a CFL.

Squatch XXL

I reread what I wrote earlier....

My plan is 4x t5 ho + 2x Cfl. However I may add in another quad t5 fixture, and skip the Cfl actinic. Them Cfl are pricey.

DaveK

If your going to add an addition quad T5 fixture, you might want to consider going with LED lighting. Between the annual bulb replacement and the additional cost of electricity for the T5s, good LED lighting can often pay for itself over the long haul.

Squatch XXL

If your going to add an addition quad T5 fixture, you might want to consider going with LED lighting. Between the annual bulb replacement and the additional cost of electricity for the T5s, good LED lighting can often pay for itself over the long haul.
Funny you posted that. I just bopped in here to check the forums, and to be totally honest....I have been thinking this over the last few days. I have spent more for bulbs in the past year and a half than what a set of no-frills LED lights would cost.

I am going over many, many options.......and I have about 2 months left to decide on lights for the upgrade tank. I can see LED happening just based on the costs of ownership.

DaveK

Also, with some LEDs you get all the additional features, like multiple color channels, and special effects like storms. Lots of bragging rights there (grin)

Squatch XXL

Also, with some LEDs you get all the additional features, like multiple color channels, and special effects like storms. Lots of bragging rights there (grin)
Hahaha. I am super cheap. My options will be limited to on and off and 2 dimmable channels for now. I prefer simplicity and functionality over features.

Squatch XXL

So as an update:

I dismounted the 4 used lights....And to my surprise I have not been using any "actinic" lights. This explains to me why it seemed brighter than I expected.

My bulbs are 2x Ati Blue plus, 1x coral plus and 1x Aquablue special.

Could having no real actinic bulbs be the cause of my inability to keep zoas? Does this explain why my acan does not seem to be getting larger either? I have noticed a trend that green corals do considerably better than reds and blues...is this associated?

I have 7 Giesmann bulbs to try around with.

I have a Quad t5 on 2 separate timers. Each bank is on for 8 hours, with a 4 hour overlap when both banks are on. Total light time is 12 hours.

I am ONLY interested in growth and health of corals. My individual interpretation of the "look of the color" is irrelevant.

Any suggestions based on my aforementioned bulb selection:

2 Actinic blue, 2 aquablue coral, 2 superpurple and 1 tropic.
In addition, I have 2x 10k and an additional 2x Actinic (These ones are new oddysea bulbs)

My tank is heavy on monti, pocci and a few acro. In addition I have a single Acan with multiple heads. I have a few variety of zoas.....none of which do well except one which I have ascertained to be a protopalythoa.

I have promised some of my zoas to a local reefer, but if they do perk up from lighting changes, I will still have many more than I care for. I still don't know what I was thinking when I bought them.

I am honestly thinking about the following combo:

1x actinic
1x Tropic
1x Aquablue
1x Purple

Any thoughts for me to chew on?

Squatch XXL

1x actinic
1x Tropic
1x Aquablue
1x Purple

So I did this^

Im running the Tropic and Purple on the first set of timers, and when all 4 are on the colors are amazing. My zoas appear to be more open.
Aquablue and actinic for late day.
I raised the lights up 6 inches or so because the pocci were acting bothered. After that, everything is peachy.

3 week old FTS with old ati bulbs

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I raised the lights up 6 inches or so because the pocci were acting bothered. After that, everything is peachy.

By changing all the lights at once may have been the reason why the pocci reacted. Going from old bulbs which lost a lot of out put to all new bulbs w/lots of output can irritate corals. Usually I change out a couple of bulbs at a time over a month to 6 week period so that the sps are shocked by the sudden surge in light output.

By raising the bulbs you have essentially limited the output on the pocci. In a couple of weeks you may want to try to lower the lights back to where you had them originally to see if the pocci can handle the bright new lights after a several week acclimation to them.

Squatch XXL

By changing all the lights at once may have been the reason why the pocci reacted.
Ya, I knew that IF I did all 4 at once, there would be issues. The green pocci was the only thing acting slightly bothered, and it was not bad. Within 3 days, it was back to normal. 2 days ago, I lowered the lights back down, and have not noticed any issues. Everything is going as intended. The encrusting monti seem to have grown more in the last 2 weeks than it would in the past. The 4 pocci are doing well.

The only coral I own that I consider slightly outrageous is a Darth Maul porites, and it is doing great, and spreading to the rock I have it setting on. I plan on making frags of it onto rubble as to increase the spread of it in my tank(s).

As expect all of my true zoas and palys are not spreading. My protopaly is still going nuts, though the color change makes them look less appealing.....Though they are the only thing, and they still look great.