Sick fairy wrasse

Susan987

I have a sick fairy wrasse. He has been looking a little tired for a couple of weeks, noticed a scratch on him, but thought it was just swimming in my rock. This afternoon, while doing water change, he really behaved like he is sick. He is not swimming around as he normally does and his coloring looks pale. I'm unable to attach a picture. He did eat, but only the mysis shrimp.

Water parameters:
pH: 8.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Kh 12
Salinity: 1.024

Any thoughts?

DaveK

You haven't given us too much to go on. Here are a few things you can check.

is anything attacking the fish?
any signs of parasites?
any sign of infection?

Tell us more about the fish and posting a picture would help a lot.

Susan987

You haven't given us too much to go on. Here are a few things you can check.

is anything attacking the fish?
any signs of parasites?
any sign of infection?

Tell us more about the fish and posting a picture would help a lot.

Susan987

That is what I'm so frustrated about,
nothing is attacking it, he is still eating and pooping and swimming around, although he is staying more around the top of the tank and isn't swimming around as he normally does. So, all I know is that he is not looking good. I tried to upload a picture, but I got a large file error msg. Any suggestions?

mtsully71

He is actually looking better today. I am feeding him, and the tank mates, a little everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear Susan, I, like some other members do soak food in vitamins such as Selcon for example. IMO I think it provides fish nutrients they may not get even in some of the more popular brands of frozen food.

Sully

Susan987

Thank you for the suggestion. I do soak my food in zoecon b/c I read the fish need some additional fats, but then I read another article about diversifying their diets and supplementing with vitamins. I will pick some up next time out.

Have you ever tried buying seafood at the grocery store and feeding it to the fish?

mtsully71

Have you ever tried buying seafood at the grocery store and feeding it to the fish?

:lol: For the most part fresh seafood and Montana do not go together. I know some members do feed fresh seafood as well as live such as clams, oysters etc. Maybe one of them will chime in. I feed new life spectrum pellets and LRS food http://www.larrysreefservices.com/products.html

Looks like there are 4 locations near you in Houston. I love the food, and could spend alot more time telling you about how great it is. Give it a read, might be exactly what your looking for. :thumber2:

Many members feed this as well as other high quality food such as Rods. LRS is what I prefer

DaveK

This is a great place to get some fishfood. Stick to raw. Shrimp, clams, oysters, crab, and lean fish all make good fishfoods. You can cut them up with a knife or use a food processor or blender if you want to make a lot. You can freeze in small batches. It's usually a lot less expensive then the pre packaged stuff from your LFS.

If your grocery store has them nori sheets make great food for algal eating fish like tanges and angles. Nori is the seaweed used in some types of sushi.

Don't feel you need to buy all your fishfood from your LFS.

mtsully71

This is a great place to get some fishfood. Stick to raw. Shrimp, clams, oysters, crab, and lean fish all make good fishfoods. You can cut them up with a knife or use a food processor or blender if you want to make a lot. You can freeze in small batches. It's usually a lot less expensive then the pre packaged stuff from your LFS.

If your grocery store has them nori sheets make great food for algal eating fish like tanges and angles. Nori is the seaweed used in some types of sushi.

Don't feel you need to buy all your fishfood from your LFS.

Agreed, if I lived closer to fresher stuff, I would likely make some of my own.