Draco's 28 JBJ Cube

Draco

Hi People!

Not sure if anyone would actually follow this, but why not. I'll start a new tank thread.

I had a 9 gal Ehiem which I've upgraded to a 28 gal JBJ Biocube. Here's my old thread about my 9 gal.. sorry, many images are broken! http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-dracos-9-gal-nano.88963/page-2 . I had this tank in my old apartment before I moved.. a lot of my corals did not survive the move, but my two clowns did very well.

Anyway, this JBJ has been up and running for about 5 months now. I am running pretty much everything stock with minor changes
In the back fuge...Middle filter, I just have Chemi-pure and the sponge. The Chemi-pure will be replaced with GFO and Carbon when it's time to replace.
I've added a Coral Life Skimmer in one side compartment (replacing an old one that was unrealiable.. still bubbling like crazy after 2 days). A heater is in the last compartment.
I will be replacing the filter sponge with Chaetos within the next week or so..I am almost done with my DIY Light box to place on the back. I will show photos down a bit.

For stock, I have:
2 Clowns (perculas i think, I forget!)
Six-Line Wrasse
Randall Goby/Randal Shrimp pair
Brittle Sea Star
Rock Boring Urchin
Lots of snails and crabs of all sorts
I had an emerald crab, but i haven't seen it in forever!
Cleaner Shrimp (Love this guy!)

Anyways, here's some photos. I'll let them speak for themselves. I have an underwater camera that I used to take a few of these photos too.

Sorry for bad quality. I am trying to improve my phosphate issues to reduce the algae and such.

IMG_3899_zpspkco2cl0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Draco

I wanted to make a separate post about my upgrade for the fugue in the back.

I took a gang box, drilled holes and added a light. I still need to put plexi-glass or something to cover the light to prevent any water from getting inside (I am planning on screwing it down so I can replace bulb as needed). Then I plan on velcro it to the back of the tank where the filter's currently at. I am going to be removing the filter, and rely on chaetos, carbon and GFOs, along with the skimmer which is in the next compartment over.

I used a 6500k daylight bulb. I hope it'll be enough to grow the chaetos.

a perfect fit and placement for the back. I held it up to test.

Draco

Finally got my lightbox completed. added plexi-glass and velcro'd the box to the back of the tank. It was a hunt, but I finally found some chaetos at a LFS. I never knew they'd be hard to find! I took out the sponge. Right now I just have chemi-pure, Phosguard and Chaetos in that compartment. Phosguard I will take out tomorrow.. per instructions.

IMG_3926_zpszvmrmlvj.jpg

and a bonus photo of my rock boring urchin. bad photo though but I love this guy

IMG_3908_zpsd88gsupy.jpg

Draco

Wow.. I can't believe its been a year since I've posted here!

My tank was doing well, until Nitrate (or was it Nitrite) somehow spiraled out of control back in feb. I lost my sea star.. my urchin suffered, but is doing much better now. I lost all my tiny asteria stars apparently. My tank was overridden in brown algea which turned into Cyano algae. Most corals did not survive either. My duncans were the only ones that surived.. few zoas and mushrooms are hanging in there.. hoping they'll come back. My shrimp also died. The duncans are looking pretty pale, but I have confidence they'll color up again.

Took me over a month of upping water changes, siphoning algae and adding a protein skimmer.. it's now been a week free of algae and my testing's finally back to normal. I hope to never have such an outbreak again like this!

The only livestocks I have now, aside from CUC, I have are my 2 clowns, six-line wrasse and sea urchin.

I have not done much else to the tank in the year since I've posted, except for adding a skimmer which is working quite well. I am waiting a bit to make sure everything is stable before I restock up on corals again.