My new alage scrubber but i think i need more light?

DaveK

It's really hard to tell from a posted image, but I will say that it looks ok. Red light can often seem a bit more dim than it actually is.

I'd say try it the way it is, and see how you make out. You'll likely be just fine. If not you can always add more light. This is a case where you want to use just enough light to do the job. You don't want to over do it, and consume more power for no additional results.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members :nessie:

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

clownfish296

It's really hard to tell from a posted image, but I will say that it looks ok. Red light can often seem a bit more dim than it actually is.

I'd say try it the way it is, and see how you make out. You'll likely be just fine. If not you can always add more light. This is a case where you want to use just enough light to do the job. You don't want to over do it, and consume more power for no additional results.
its a 9 watt led the other 9 watt led died so all i have is one light. thanks for replying!!

clownfish296

how long does it take to get algae growing i see some brown stuff which i think its working because the algae in the tank isn't as bad as it was before i made the scrubber do i need more water flow. how does the water flow affect the scrubber ?

cracker

Hello Clown fish and Fellow Floridian ! Santa Monica can give You good advice . He helped me out a "lot"

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
We find that most people need about 24W of high quality red LED light and about 3W of either 420nm violet or 440nm royal blue, for each side of the screen. We aware that a high quality 3 watt LED such as a Luxeon can output almost twice the power of chinese 3 watt LED. Same to be said for the 9W LED, slim chance it is outputting anywhere near enough light for optimal scrubbing.
Algae can handle a lot of light!

Hope that helps?

Jeff

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Just remember that with submersible lights, they add approximately 25-50% of the total wattage output in heat to the water. For example, a 20W submersible LED light can add up to 10W of heat to the water.

I think you were on the right track going with external lights.

(Edit: Sorry Santa Monica, I didn't see that you were a sponsor! I hope my comment didn't come across as rude. Just making him aware of some facts without promoting any specific light brand of product.)