Sully's RSM Reefer 350

Kman237

Well....... no photos yet. No excuse, just lazy and I really need/want to use the wifes Nikon. Heading to Nawlins and the western carribean for the next 2 weeks. Might have a beverage or two :pint::biggrin2: Snorkling with the little cobber and wife. Next year I can introduce the young sappling to scuba in the pool and we can both get certified togehter when she's 10 :pico:. Wife has no interest :shark2:

My next photos will be with the Nikon as there are some members on here, that really take nice photos, which in turn applies the pressure for some good shots :D.

Tank house sitter is GTG, doing WC tonight for the 2 weeks I am gone. Tank is doing great, may be looking into a doser, graci @Kman237

New Battlecorals are looking stellar and growing. No PE for the most part, but really don't care as long as they are growing. Something must be right :bounce:

Happy reefing

Sully

That's awesome Sully. Sounds like fun!!! I remember when my Dad and I got certified mostly using the pool in the back yard. Good memories.

I am feeling that same pressure on a nice camera for pictures. Mine just don't do the coral and tank justice. I am looking forward to seeing the FTS with the Nikon.

I would recommend the dosing pumps :thumbup: makes life a little easier with a little less work. :pbjtime: I'm still tweaking my Calc dosing.

Enjoy the vacation!!! Cheers bud:cheers:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You've said you're taking new pics so we're going to hold you to that!! ;) Looking forward to it mate :)

mtsully71

So..........Trip was awesome little cobber took to snorkeling like a shark to chum.

tank thriving, colors look good and the garden is growing, love my reefer. In regards to some reading I have done, my nitrates I am keeping around 5ish and a splash of phosphate .003-.006.

Took one photo with the phone last night, little bugger is just so damn cute and appears healthy as heck. He be fluffy

Image.png

Tuxedo Urchin

Happy reefing, tank photos coming soon to a posting near you :nekid:

Sully

Frootstik

Hey mate
I was wondering what the details of your light programme are? I have the same lights on the same tank and am hang trouble. Not sure if I don't have them bright enough.
Was hoping you could give me some info on your programme.
cheers

mtsully71

Hey mate
I was wondering what the details of your light programme are? I have the same lights on the same tank and am hang trouble. Not sure if I don't have them bright enough.
Was hoping you could give me some info on your programme.
cheers

Well, you can see how my lights are set from photos. They are approximately 14 inches off the water and I start ramp up at 11 am at 20K until 1PM. At this time I am running lights at 55%, 12K until about 530 pm. At light peek I am at 58% at 3pm. After 530 its the slow crawl until 20k at 8pm and lights out all blue at 9 pm.

So, I just read through 2 threads. Do you have 2 profiles? You can link profiles/threads, just contact a mod. You need an update for your current thread some photos etc. to really be able to help.
Show us your tank :camera:

What type of corals do you have, water tests results, bioload, type of mechanical/biological filtration, husbandry habits, flow etc. If you could provide more information about your tank and what you are trying to do, I and other members could be of a lot more assistance. RS is for all tank enthusiast whom want to succeed and as your are aware some very smart and experienced hobbyist here.

It has taken me a year tweaking my lights, to find what I think the corals like (color and growth), in collaboration with water parameters. I have become a firm believer that a little phosphate and nitrate is good for coral health. I am not knocking 0 nutrient systems they work quite well also. I am thinking of going up about 5% and maybe a little longer 12k. Maybe it will improve color and growth, Don't know, but I am going to find out.

I wouldn't just go tweaking your lights until I or others can make a more educated recommendation. I would love to help more, but sorry I don't have a better answer for ya :). Give some basics brother and we'll get ya rocking :thumber2:

mtsully71

Placed an order today for 4-5 more corals here are two of the colonies

IMG_0316_large.jpg IMG_8128-Edit_large.jpg

Now if I can get em to look like that :biggrin: I get a nice frag, not the colony.

Tank cleaning night JOY! :crown:

Going to bump my LED's up to a stright 6 hours of 12K at 65%. So about 10 hours of total lighting time See if it improves growth. Likely order 4-5 fish next month. Might even get me a clam and name him..... Dom :bounce:

97619ab0c2a48c65ed3abe8338345db7.jpg

Happy reefing

Sully

mtsully71

So something cool, I get home last night and see that my porcelain crab imagesZM8ZLR5E.jpg had moulted. Normally by the time I get to it the other inhabitants have declared fairgame on the carcass. I ended up with a complete exoskeleton, minus one of the setae. I took it out and spread the parts to dry.

Now the story......My daughter who is in first grade, is studying sea animals and oceans. I gave her the moult this morning and 5 points she could share with the class.

1. exoskeleton vs endoskeleton
2. how and why they moult
3. how they use their setae to eat
4. what they eat
5. What the chelae are used for

Daughter was so excited, she exiled here mother from dropping her off at school and I was nominated. JOY!

On a side note, they lady that runs the school drop off is very cool and down to earth. When I walked in to sign in my daughter, I gave her the crab and notes to hold until school started. I says Betty...... "I have crabs and Brenna will tell you all about it." :crab4:

Have a great weekend

Sully

mtsully71

Ordered me 2 Jebo RW20, figured what the hell, lets move some more water around. So my tank should be getting blasted with circulation with my MP 40 too.

Another observation, I tried some algae fix to assist with my inherited bubble algae. I dosed approx. 7-8 times as directed. While it did kill some form of Bryopsis (minor issue) it did not appear to affect the bubble algae. However, after completing the treatment and roughly a month later the bubble algae has begun to die off. I would estimate the die off at 1/3. Did the treatment work, heck I don't know, neverless, as an herbicide it appears to have something to with it. Or.......maybe it's my outstanding husbandry habits :)

61QMdAOwHkL__SY355_.jpg

Corals are doing great, I have increased my 12K to 6 hours at 75%. Colors are showing better!

:cheers:
Sully

mtsully71

The last of my coral is arriving from Battlecorals tomorrow. I have a full tank!

BUT! Needed some more fish so hey why not.
untitled.png untitled1.png imagesXJTBWTA6.jpg untitled2.png untitled4.png

Rock Beauty, Hogfish, Pyramid Butterfly, Green Canary Blenny and a couple yellow Chromis

I am under no assumptions the rock beauty will play nice and not bother the corals, but we'll have a talk and maybe cry a little. I promise to feed him nori every other day and provide some nice vitamin enriched LRS food :fingerscrossed:

Further for the Dr's office (fish only) tank I take care off, I got em some new snails, hermits, foxface, wrasse, shrimp and 2 cardinals.

I just realized a lot of yellow in those shots and no its not my favorite color. I like the fish :D

Corals Friday, my new fish Tuesday and Dr's fish Wednesday.........Fun week :thumber2:

Have great weekend reefers, the other residents of my household and I are going to hit the mountains Saturday with the 4 wheelers :whistle:

Sully

rostervandross

Looking grand sir. Did you use the new rw20 pumps yet? a while back I got it's wp60 cousin and holy shit it was much too strong for my 75g, I'm thinking of trying a rw15 for the 90 gallon cube im setting up

mtsully71

Looking grand sir. Did you use the new rw20 pumps yet? a while back I got it's wp60 cousin and holy shit it was much too strong for my 75g, I'm thinking of trying a rw15 for the 90 gallon cube im setting up

Ya, put one in my FOWLR holy hell blasted the tank.............I tuned it in and fish seemed to like the big current. I am going to put the other one in my RSM next week. I would get the 20 for your 90 :thumber2:.

BTW get cracking, I have some stuff to send you......it wont be packed pretty and may be plugless, but you will like it. Need to ship before fall, You can just send me a check for whatever the overnight cost. We can talk later when your ready. Mostly LPS