Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well I have to say that all love from you guys is definitely going a long way :) lol I'm starting to feel like I might get somewhere with the tank now that Iggy is doing better. I managed to get another water change and clean done today and took some pictures as well. The other awesome thing is my lfs is got me a tiny rabbitfish to help with my algae issues which is just fantastic, Dave certainly goes out of his way to help! Hopefully the little guy helps before looking at corals haha

Well on to some pics lol I'll start with the bad, things still aren't great and the caulerpa is still pretty wild with some acro's not doing great but this is the worst of it:

As you can see some pretty badly burnt tips but nothing really has flesh peeling off it and some of the other acro's tissue is looking a bit thin as well. I'm hoping with a little more love things will start coming back soon!

I suppose I'll get into trouble first and start of with the zoa's :rolleyes

I do really have a soft spot for them but I mean how can you not :D

Well this piece is finally blue-ing up again, pity about the dull polyps lol

Firetruck still Firetrucking but needs some colour fine tuning

Blues are going strong, I do like this little tenuis :)

Nearly impossible to get the colours on this one right but the white skin gets a purple-blue hue to it and it's awesome, either way it's only these few tips that have coloured back up

This little beauty is going to be an absolute gem! I love it :D

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I want your little tenuis!!
It's a great little acro :D

In some other news, I currently have all my new rock in a box soaking in RO with a pump. I'll be doing a 100% RO change tomorrow evening and yesterday morning they all got blasted with the hose on full to wash them off, fair bit of crud and dust came out lol

Nearly all of it is Real Reef Rock but there were two nice flatish pieces of CaribSea so I grabbed those two as well :) It's exactly 20kg of rock but I don't necessarily plan on using all of it!

I spent this morning cleaning out and organising the study ready for the tank! I spend most my life there as it's my work station and gaming station lol so the tank is going to be in the perfect place! And for some reason my phone camera has made it look like I live in a Dr. Seuss house haha the wall is actually straight I promise!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Well, there's news to be had on the reefing front for me :) The family home has been sold and our landlord has approved me having a fish tank! :D So this means all battle-stations are ready and the Thunderbirds are go! The new tank is planned and getting ready to be delivered, so hopefully over the coming week it gets wet!

Last weekend, Saturday, brought on the purchasing of all the new rock I'm going to need, while I don't plan on necessarily using the full 20kg I bought, I will at least have the pieces there if I need them :) They got blasted off under some high pressure from the hose and then straight into a tub with RO to soak! They've had a 100% on Thursday and I'll be doing another tomorrow. This is just to get a short period of pre-leaching out of the way before it actually goes into a tank :) There was a fair bit of crud coming off in the washes lol
URL]

Nearly all of it is Real Reef Rock but there were two nice flatish pieces of CaribSea so I grabbed those two as well :)

I then spent Tuesday morning cleaning out and organising the study ready for the tank! I spend most my life there as it's my work station and gaming station lol so the tank is going to be in the perfect place! And for some reason my phone camera has made it look like I live in a Dr. Seuss house haha the wall is actually straight I promise!

I also managed to get a few more things sorted on Thursday night too with a trip to Deer Park to pick up a few items;
- New bucket of RS salt from the lovely Sam after I rang 6 stores looking for it lol
- Continuum CaptivPhos to treat the rock once it's in the tank, it also contains Al2O3 to also absorb the silicates that will leach from the rock. This is going to be run for a month to ensure that all the phos and silicates are completely removed from the rock and the tank! Noice and clean ;) lol
- Due to the rock also being completely dead, I've picked up a bottle of Dr. Tim's bacteria to seed the tank with a decent source of bacteria :) I got a bottle large enough to "instant cycle" the tank lol but that's not what's going to happen! Once that's in I'll be adding a prawn for an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on and watch the levels from there and once things settle then the first fish will be going across :) Along with adding this bacteria, I'll also be adding soem media from a mates tank to add to the diversity and seed it with some more bacteria because that won't hurt!
- The tank spot is clean and vacuumed and I have commandeered a shelf in one of the cupboards so I'm ready to get rocking lol

I still need to pick up some plumbing, a few bits and bobs and sort out a sump but everything else will simply be coming across :) The skimmer, lights, return, heaters and whatever will come across after a good soak in vinegar and some hydrogen peroxide to sterilize anything, well maybe not the lights :p

As I have nothing to show at the moment please enjoy a picture of towels and the supplements lol

I'm still undecided on my sump layout but I'll see if Sump Master Dave has any ideas on that lol I'm also going to get myself a Gyre XF150 for the right side of the tank that will be supplemented with a few other powerheads :) For the moment that's all I can think of, I'm getting excited for a bigger tank and a new adventure in reefing! :D
I'm also tossing up on whether I should start some serious saving to get myself an Abyzz A100 for my return :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
This is the very rough design I sent off to my lovely LFS for consideration and redesign, I know the return drawings I'll be getting will be kicka$$ lol
13282586_1086377978087420_214013311_o.jpg

deaclauderdale

Yep, still here! I'm pretty hard to get rid of once I settle in :outtahere:haha
You haven't posted in a while ;) it's nice to see you back again :) still got the tank running??
No that tank is old news and I'm now working on a Cadlights 70 build that I will eventually document here, SoCali reefs, and the SPS (where I follow you) on RC. I'll be moving in the next few weeks and after that I'll begin a new build thread here at RS which was the first reefing forum I joined.

Reef keeping is life!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No that tank is old news and I'm now working on a Cadlights 70 build that I will eventually document here, SoCali reefs, and the SPS (where I follow you) on RC. I'll be moving in the next few weeks and after that I'll begin a new build thread here at RS which was the first reefing forum I joined.

Reef keeping is life!
Looking forward to seeing the new build! Cadlights make some really nice tanks! :)

No fuge section, may I ask why not?

Reef keeping is life!
No particular reason, I've never run a fuge on my tank and with the new one I'll also be employing 10L of Seachem Matrix media (not the carbon) for a vastly expanded bacterial surface area which will control nitrates and I'll use a little gfo if phos is getting high. The sump will also take up the entire floor of the cabinet which is why the ato is part of it and I also need a frag section too lol so with those two added it means that I also won't have room for a fuge.
I'm a little anti-algae too lol given the problems I've had and am having lol