Thoughts on design of new tank

rostervandross

Hey reefing compadres,

I have a number of options to choose from since I decided to buy a new little project tank to set up. Here is some background: I have this space approx 35"x 35" beside my bed and behind a bathroom door that I wanted to put a tank in so I can watch my reef come alive in the mornings or in the evenings laying right next to it so I can really observe the goings on. So my options became a 24x24" or 30x30" (45, 60, or 93 gallon aquarium. I went ahead and got a 45 gallon 24x24x18" over the 93 gallon 30x30x24" tank due to cost ($170 vs $450). However, the 45 gallon does not come reef ready and this leaves me with a few options:

1. Drill the tank and install a corner overflow of my own.

2. Add a hang on back overflow that's loud

3. Do not use an overflow or sump and use a filter and agitate the surface.

I am thinking 1 or 3 because I'd really like to keep it clean and quiet. Would the disadvantages of option 3 outweigh the diffuculty of option 1? If I went option 3 I could not keep as much life in it due to limited skimming and filtration capability. And if I don't do it best I think I will be wanting for a better design before long. I am leaning on drilling the tank myself, or I could possibly move my 29 gallon freshwater fish and live plant tank into this 45 gallon and save a bit longer for a 93 gallon to put in this space.

Picture of tank and space:

3FZE4cI.jpg

rostervandross

I think I've decided on putting my freshwater fish and plants in this tank instead of drilling it. I doubt I'd crack the glass or anything but I think buying a drilled 93 gallon later will be more satisfying over time. mr Dave or anyone else with a freshwater tank could you post a few pictures of yours for some ideas on what to use as substrate and what new plants to look for? I'm also going to need to upgrade lights to grow plants better if anyone has suggestions, everything is coming out of a 29 gallon with a single t8 bulb. It was time to upgrade that and I have all the equipment needed to set up this as freshwater instead of having to buy all new sump skimmer etc for a new saltwater tank.

So once I get this going hopefully I'll be setting up a 93 gallon reef before long!

rostervandross

Maybe I will make a new thread but I found a 93 gallon and am now in the planning stages for it as well and am on to equipment research .

I have dry rock and sand and will get it up and running and add some existing sand and live rock from my tank. Thinking of getting a small amount of aquacultured live rock and sand fresh from the ocean to help seed it. But from there I need pumps and a skimmer.

Probably going to go with a jebao rw/pp 15 for circulation, but there's a number of different skimmers I'm trying to compare air draw from . Mainly between aqua maxx , reef octopus and skimz/rlss designs. Just looking for a good buy because they're all so darn expensive at about $300.

Circulation/propeller pump @ $70 - PP-15

Skimmer - ??

Return pump - DC 8000 I have currently, may get another

Likely limited to spend another $500 or so.

Anyone else looking out for new equipment/ setting up a new tank?

Last edited:

rostervandross

Thanks my friend , shop is coming along but filling up with old stuff that needs fixing! (Such as grandpas boat) Here's a better shot of the plumbing connections. I have not been able to find another Marineland built one like this or any discussion about it but Im going to try it out. Not sure yet how I might modify it if I end up wanting to try to improve it.

o4T3F3t.jpg