Green Bubble tip Anemone

Diver alcoholic

Hi everybody,

I have some questions about green bubble tip anemones. I bought one on Friday afternoon, he didn't even go on display to be sold--Still in shipping bag when I bought him. Did the Drip Acclimation for an hour. My tank is 40 breeder, 1.025, 0 amoninia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. One Kessil led 165 light, (I'm buying another one on Friday. I know it's a little low on light. ) 0 phosphates. reed octopus skimmer hob. Aqua top canister filter. 50 lbs of rock. 10lbs of live rock. 1 inch sand bed. Two clown fish, cleaner shrimp. And a sailfish Blenny. The tank is going on three months. I have Zoas, torch, octospawn, hairy mushroom, tube anemone and a plate mushroom are doing really well and growing. Okay. The Bta hasn't really opened up. It keeps shrinking and inflating its not near the tube anemone. Mouth gaps and closes up. Nice green tips, brownish body. He's near the top of the tank not directly under the light. He's sticky and, moved a little from the start. I know my tank is young, but I've done weekly water changes since the beginning--20 percent. I've had him for 4 days. He did take some food today. But I don't know how much might have given him a lot. So my questions are will my LEDs work for him? The mouth gaping and closing tight. is it normal? Best food I can give him? Being deflated for some part of the day normal. How can I encourage it to open and inflate? I've read Karen's anomone page, so I'm nervous about him. I want him to live well. The lfs that I have been dealing with said it'll be okay. To they told me to wait at first until it my tank matures for a couple months. Then gave me the go ahead after they tested my water before selling it to me. He's not hiding or moving. Just deflated a lot. He is from what I can tell small. Maybe 2 inches when open. His mouth gaps not all the time some times. Advice. I can post a picture if requested. I'm willing to listen and learn here. Any advice and tricks and tips will be great.

mr_tap_water

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment It's quite common for them to deflate on and off mine does it every night I can even go hide behind the rocks for a few weeks before coming out just give it time to settle in and try not to touch it ,also I wouldn't bother feeding it until it has settled, as if it's not settled they will just spent the food back ,now as for your lighting again I wouldn't worry it will work the light out for itself for instance if it's too weak will move closer to the top of your tank. And that will give you some idea if you need stronger lighting or not.
And just one more thing why is settling keep a eye it don't wonder into your flow pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members :nessie:

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

DaveK

Hi everybody,

I have some questions about green bubble tip anemones. .... reed octopus skimmer hob. Aqua top canister filter. 50 lbs of rock. 10lbs of live rock. ... The tank is going on three months. ... I want him to live well. The lfs that I have been dealing with said it'll be okay. To they told me to wait at first until it my tank matures for a couple months. ... Any advice and tricks and tips will be great.

I know this is you first post here, and I'm not trying to "beat up on you", but at this point the best thing you can do is return the bubble tip anemone to your LFS.

The main problem you have is that your tank is still far too new to handle an anemone. Generally you need a mature tank, and this means waiting about a year after it's gone through the initial cycle. You have also started the tank with mostly dry rock and some live rock. This is a very good way to do things, and saves a lot of money, but it takes time for the dry rock to populate.

One thing you are going to find about a lot of LFS is that they are often misinformed or lie to make a sale. They never should have sold you an anemone knowing your tank is only a few months old.

This doesn't mean you can never have an anemone, just that it's far too soon. I should also note that I am talking about large anemones here. Anemones such as zoas and mushrooms are fine in new tanks.

Now, if your going to try and keep the anemone, you must maintain top quality water. Part of this means cleaning the canister filter weekly. Also, anemones can go for a long time with out feeding. Do nit attempt to feed unless it's fully extended. You typically should only feed an anemone once or twice a week.

Diver alcoholic

I understand. I did get excited. The Lfs after i thought and said I don't think it's ready did say I can bring it back and i can exchange it for something different. I might lose my rock in the process. But not a life. Not a beat up at all. I respect the hobby, I respect the information.