Liam's CADE HL800 TANK

Just aquascaped used a lot of putty so my skimmer will have to remain off for about 36 hours according to instructions. This is a must! Your skimmer will go crazy. Anyway. I think once I have my first MP-40 and dosing pump I will be good to go to add corals. So perhaps in about a month or so. Coraline Algae is growing well with Red Seas Coraline Gro, very noticable improvement. The drain outside where I empty my water changes have turned purple all over. Must be coraline? Anyway.

My salinity: 1.025
Temps a bit low: 23 Celsius or 74 Fahrenheit
DKH varies around 9 - 10.
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Phosphates: 0.07 ppm

Looking pretty good. Nitrogen cycle and what not did not even register due to very well established previous tank media and slow introduction of new rock.

Anyway! Heres some pictures of my new Aquascape. I know stacking against the back glass to some is a big no no but I personally think the gradual in incline gives more access to photsynthesis to more corals rather than steep rock faces in the middle of the tank. But i'd love to here your thoughts anyway! (SORRY ABOUT REFLECTION ON PHOTOS)

You may not be able to tell from these photos but very little is actually touching the sand. All the caves are huge to avoid deadspots. With 2 Mp-40s running in this tank in the future the waterflow will be great.

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks fantastic mate! :) Rockwork is awesome, even if it does lean against the back wall ;)

Mischko

Nice. Just make sure you get enough current under the rocks though.
Just out of curiosity, how you guys keep up with the heat there in Sydney and the tanks? Was 2 times in Sydney, even on the Harbor Bridge in your summer time. Man, that was stinky hot, even at night.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That's an AMAZING ROCK SCAPE, L:heart:VE IT :geekin:
Going to be a very BEAUTIFUL tank. :thumbup:
I'm excited for you & I'm thrilled that you are sharing it!

Mischko

The only thing to be wary of is the palytoxin within them. When cutting and fragging them you need to be careful as it's quite dangerous but they can't release it at will, their skin needs to be broken for them to be able to release it
*cough*
They can release the toxin at will! Been there, saw it how they squirt and one got hit in the eyes. Not funny at all. I was one day doing some stuff in my tank, touched them having a little cut on one of my finger and was vomiting all day, feeling dizzy and sick. Those are not to underestimate at all! And as I mentioned in another thread, it is in my view completely unresponsible by fish shops not to point out the danger of this animal to customers.
There have been cases where people were rushed into hospital with symptons of multiple organ failure. This poison is so strong and painful that even Hawaiians elder put a toboo on using it.

Oxylebius

Wow it seems very irresponsible of LFS to sell Palythoa without any precautionary advise. Though to be fair mine just grew out of Live Rock. I'll have to do some research in how to care for them to avoid any potential hazzards!

Mishko well currently we are about to enter winter so funnily enough my heater is struggling to get it to where I would like it. I'll have to gear it up a bit i think. Many people own chillers here for summer. My nano did not need it fortunately though this new tank will be at risk. My house does get hot during summer so perhaps i'll have to buy a chiller or some fan action down the track but i'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Tanks doing well. Got a little phosphate problem so i'm going to buy a good sand vac to better remove detritus and probably get a phosphate reactor just because they're cheap and will disrupt emerging algaes supply. MP-40 is coming on monday and resorted to using some acetic cure silicone for my union joints due to leak issues. Will have to see how that sets by tomorrow. Not feeling to hopeful, I kind of botched the job but we will see.

No additional corals. I think it would be irresponsible of me to buy any until my system is fully ready and well cycled. I want algae controlled, water flow improvements, plumbing sorted for loudness/leaks and a dosing pump to control the elements the corals will need to survive. Plus one can never do too much research! The longer I wait the better anyway!

P.S. Diana and Wrangy i'm glad you like the rock scape!

Wow it seems very irresponsible of LFS to sell Palythoa without any precautionary advise. Though to be fair mine just grew out of Live Rock. I'll have to do some research in how to care for them to avoid any potential hazzards!

Mishko well currently we are about to enter winter so funnily enough my heater is struggling to get it to where I would like it. I'll have to gear it up a bit i think. Many people own chillers here for summer. My nano did not need it fortunately though this new tank will be at risk. My house does get hot during summer so perhaps i'll have to buy a chiller or some fan action down the track but i'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Tanks doing well. Got a little phosphate problem so i'm going to buy a good sand vac to better remove detritus (feeding should definitely not be an issue. Fish eat everything as I feed them regularly but in very small amounts) and probably get a phosphate reactor just because they're cheap and will disrupt emerging algaes supply. MP-40 is coming on monday and resorted to using some acetic cure silicone for my union joints due to leak issues. Will have to see how that sets by tomorrow. Not feeling to hopeful, I kind of botched the job but we will see.

No additional corals. I think it would be irresponsible of me to buy any until my system is fully ready and well cycled. I want algae controlled, water flow improvements, plumbing sorted for loudness/leaks and a dosing pump to control the elements the corals will need to survive. Plus one can never do too much research! The longer I wait the better anyway!

P.S. Diana and Wrangy i'm glad you like the rock scape!

Just bought a two little fishes PhosBan Reactor. Have phosphate and silicate removing media due to a diatom and green hair problem. Will be going lights out for three days once the reactor is in full flight. My tests showed no phosphate but I think that may be due to the fact the algae had already used phosphates that were present. Of course diatoms and algae outbreaks are too be expected while cycling new live rock. Nitrates are a little high not exceeding 10 and with no corals yet i'm not too worried. It will probably drop off quite soon.
I have put and airstone to speed up the removal of nitrates (minor help) and have a new addition of an MP-40 that helps will surface movement and will help with gas exchange (again removing nitrates!

I have also built stockman silencers for my overflow which has reduced their sound greatly. Easy build! There are youtube videos on how to build it. If anyone needs help building this just send me some queries and i'll see what I can do. Might make a youtube video if needed. I also used acetic cure silicone on my union joints and ever since have had zero leak problems and has allowed my to ramp up my return pump without fear of leaks and thus improve water flow and filter mechanisms!

Will post pics tomorrow!

Heres the pics. Not overly interesting. With corals, new critters and fish to come perhaps I will produce more interesting photos then.

1) Heres my new MP-40 pump as you can see a little green hair algae problem on the rocks. The urchins are churning them up and will get some hermits.

2) Here's the two new stockman silencers on the overflow

3) On the right is my new phosphate reactor using ROWA silicate and phosphate media.

First new coral. Got a leather coral. Opened up well on the first night and stays open while the white lights are on and closes up on the evening under the moonlights.

Calcium 450
Magnesium 1350
KH 8
PH 8.3
Nitrates 0.04
Ammonia 0.00
Nitrites 0.00
Phosphates: Unreadable to test (Phosphate reactor doing well. Algae disappearing greatly)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice leather mate!! Good to hear that the algae is making it's way out :yup: Any thoughts on your next few additions? :)

I'm thinking of getting a zoo garden going first of all. Maybe Sinularia, Frogspawn and some mushrooms as well. All in good time of course.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice choices :) All grouse corals :yup:
If you want some of the best zoa's around, check out Fragalicious :) She has some of the best zoa's going around in Aus and certainly one of the most comprehensive selections out there!! Tell her that I (Dom) sent you and you'll definitely be looked after :) even if you don't mention my name she will look after you better than any of the other shops out there haha.

Note: I don't have any financial links with Fragalicious and don't serve to get anything out of the relationship. I'm good friends with the owner and everything I say is based entirely on the truth and she really does run one of the most fantastic collections of zoa's in Australia and is also possibly the nicest person I know!! :)

Picked up a bubble tip anemone from a friend who was having problems with it in his tank (probably too small and insufficient lighting). My tank is no where near the age that I would plan to get a BTA but I thought it would still have a better chance in my tank with better lighting. Water parameters are staying steady and good. It's about 8cm or 3 inches in size.

It looked much smaller in their tank. Looks much happier even signs of what must be Zooanthelae returning with purples tips appearing and nice green glow. Just feed it brine shimp with a target feeder. It is eating well so I am thinking that it may have been underfed in the past. I'll show a picture tomorrow. It's looking far more healthier even after only a week and a half.

Sale going live on Wednesday at 8pm (Melbourne time) so keep your eye out!!
Will buy some on next sale or pick up what is left. Bit low on funds this week plus I want to take my time. Especially with an unexpected BTA making it in my tank (Fortunately has not moved in a week and half which makes me think its happy where it is but some luck or is too unwell to bother to move! :p