Creating An overflow

rostervandross

Hey everybody, I just came across this video and thought I might be able to modify the design a bit to create an overflow that would skim the surface proteins. I suppose I'd still have to drill the tank and Id need to look into that but I think this might be a better design than buying a hang on back overflow box or just going sumpless and agitating the surface and using a hang on back filter.

It's basically a cut bucket into thirds and sealed to the corner, where you could cut it like the ones that come in reef ready tanks and direct some water over the top and a few holes for water to flow in from the bottom.

What are your thoughts?

Video:

cracker

Hey roster, I like the idea ! If Ya get the height right and get the cuts nice and straight and silicone it well, why not?

rostervandross

Thanks man I think I will cut up a bucket tomorrow and see how it looks. Have you ever drilled a tank? I may not absolutely have to drill it but I could use a better skimmer with a sump.

silver97

That looks like a solid build, I'd like to see it work. You don't necessarily have to drill the tank yourself, if you find a local glass shop near where you live I am sure they would be more than happy to drill it for you as long as you have the right specifications. In this case I think that might be a better option, only because if you've never done it before (not that it's that hard to do) , you don't want to start doing it and screw up, or even worse, shatter the pane your working on. Usually glass shops are pretty quick with this kind of thing too.

DaveK

More to the point, are you interested in simply surface skimming the water, or are you interested in building an overflow to feed a sump?

In looking at the video, this is a good project if you want the effect of an all in one tank. However a price you pay is that it does take up a good bit of space in the tank. You could get more or less the same effect by just using a hang on the tank filter such as a Hagen Aquaclear.

If your just interested in surface skimming, you can add an Eheim surface skimmer. (offsite link) - http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Sk...Driven_Filters-Eheim-EH35027-FIFRITWP-vi.html It will surface skim most smaller tanks quite well. It does have one disadvantage. If you have very small fish, like neon tetra size, they can get sucked into the surface skimmer but this is an issue with most surface slimming methods.

cracker

Hello Roster, Drilling a tank isn't so hard to do. sounds intimidating at 1st. I don't know about the "all in one filter" . But for a DIY internal overflow. it's a good simple idea.
Also whats up with drilling holes all the holes in the side? I'd think You want the water coming of the surface.

Squatch XXL

What are your thoughts?
d think You want the water coming of the surface.

Check out my chronicle. I did a DIY overflow setup on my current 40g breeder tank. My intention however was for a sump to hide all of my hardware.

DIY overflow and tank drilling is simple, but that is just my experience. IF I had to do it again, I would only make minor changes. I do like the round look of a bucket, though it seems large. The nice thing about using straight edges is that you could add egg-crate to the top to help keep critters from getting into your sump.

I watched some of that video, and I disagree with some of the methods. I don't like the random holes......I would have pre-plotted all the holes, and made it very uniform. As for sanding and painting with Krylon....Urchins and possibly other critters can and will chew the paint right off.

If it is for a all-in-one tank modification without tank drilling, it is not a terrible idea....but really figure out exactly what filtration you want. If you are looking just for surface skimming, do you want a sump and can you afford to lose a large amount of tank space to a bucket are all questions to answer to yourself.

I used plexiglass for my overflows, and knowing now what I did not know then.....I would cut the side of a sterilite container IF it had the shape and color I wanted. I however did drill for a sump, so all the overflow needed to do was collect surface water and deliver it to my filters (lack of) in my sump.

Good luck and keep us posted. This idea of a bucket is new to me, and I am interested IF you follow through with it and how it turns out.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
If you have a steady hand and patience, drilling glass is not big deal. Just use a high end diamond hole saw. My buddy drilled into his aquarium for this type of overflow, and he did it with it full of water, and was confident it would not break - and it didn't!

Be aware that you absolutely cannot drill into tempered glass (such as an aquarium's bottom). The slightest scratch will likely shatter the glass.

Use water for the lubrication, and light pressure. As it punches through to the other side is when you have the greatest risk of something going wrong, as you don't want the drill bit to catch, or stop rotating.

Hope that helps?

Jeff

Squatch XXL

As it punches through to the other side is when you have the greatest risk of something going wrong, as you don't want the drill bit to catch, or stop rotating.
I will always duct tape the inside of my cut to keep the slug from dropping out or breaking. All the advice you give is great. The proper drill bit will come with advised speeds of use....usually low rpm. I always let the drill do the work, and never push. My holes always have taken more time than others have estimated, but I have never broken any glass.

My only piece of advice to add, is to find a piece of glass to test. Practice your methods prior to doing it forreal. Also, look into using a "jig" to align your hole. I have yet to do it with a jig, but my next tank I will be using one. It certainly makes it easier than tilting the cutter into position slowly.