GhostAnchor's Drilled 40 Breeder Build

GhostAnchor

Hello all,
Decided to start a thread about my reef journey. While I don't have all of my equipment yet, I'll be posting updates :thumber2:

40 Gallon Breeder Mixed Reef
DISPLAY: 40 GALLON BREEDER DRILLED (OVERFLOW AND RETURN DRILLED)
SUMP: 20 GALLON HIGH
LIGHTING: ECOTECH RADION XR-15 PRO LED
RO/DI UNIT: SPECTRAPURE 90 GPD
PROTEIN SKIMMER: CPR BAKPAK 2R+ (TEMPORARY)
RETURN PUMP: QUIET ONE PRO 4000
HEATER: AQUATOP 200W
ATO: HYDOR SMART LEVEL W/ TOMS AQUALIFTER PUMP
SALT USED: INSTANT OCEAN REEF CRYSTALS

60 LBS TROPIC EDEN REEF FLAKES
40 LBS LIVE ROCK

Planning on stocking the tank around a Melanurus Wrasse. Open to suggestions! :)

Last edited:

DaveK

I see a few thing you should reconsider.

A 40 gal breeder is typically about 36 inches long. That's going to be asking a lot of a Radion XR15 pro to cover that much area. I'd suggest getting two of them from the start.

That CPR skimmer is something I'd consider to be at best something that is only a fair product. You might want to get something better. Since you already have the CPR, give it a try first, but go with something else if it doesn't work out.

Pick between the wrasse and scooter dragonet. These fish compete for pods in the tank, and in most cases the scooter dragonet needs those pods to survive. If you pick the scooter dragonet give the tank about 6 months to stabilize and build a pod population before you add the fish.

GhostAnchor

@DaveK - Thanks for the reply! I understand that the lighting is a bit of a stretch. This is why I plan to keep the corals more in the center of the tank until I can gather the funds to invest in another unit.

I also understand that the CPR skimmer I have isn't the best on the market, but it has worked well for me. I've been looking into a few other options (want to get an in-sump skimmer). I've heard good reviews of the SCA skimmers, and they are budget friendly. Do you have any input on these?

As for the Dragonet and the Wrasse, I was going to ask if the competition for pods would be too much, and after rethinking, I think it is as you've suggested. I'm going to go with the Wrasse.

Thank you again for the reply!

DaveK

I have never used an SCA Skimmer, so I really can't give you too much information. It does seem to be similar to many other skimmers, and the price is right.

On the other hand, from bitter experience, I know you only get what you pay for, and the price almost looks too good to be true. If at all possible, see one in action in person.

GhostAnchor

@DaveK Ya I can see where you're coming from. You do get what you pay for. I guess time will tell what skimmer I get. Lots of researching. Maybe I can find someone locally, but its probably a slim chance.

GhostAnchor

Radion lights are here! Got these used from a local for a price I couldn't pass up.uploadfromtaptalk1462736737991.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on the rest of the equipment! Have a lot of stuff coming in the next few days. Hopefully I'll be able to drill the tank tomorrow or the next day.

Last edited:

GhostAnchor

Radion's are really nice! Grats on the great find. Can't wait to see more pics of your set up.
Yes I agree! I've always wanted one and waited long enough for a good deal! I was toying with it last night and I can already tell its going to be fun.

And ya I can't wait to get all the equipment and get this tank rolling. I've pretty much got everything ordered other than heater(s). This will also be my first drilled tank

GhostAnchor

Woke up to like 4 packages outside my doorstep

Got my sand, return pump, refractometer, and my Glass-Holes kit! Also, picked up some silicone for the sump. Stand should be set up today and I'm going to attempt to drill my tank! Big day for the 40 breeder.uploadfromtaptalk1462910710181.jpg

GhostAnchor

OK so I've been messing with the tank the past few days. Drilling the tank was a success and easier than I thought. Everything is plumbed. But I did run into a wall. My 20 long doesn't fit inside the stand... Lesson learned... So I'm gonna get a 20 high tomorrow and use it for the sump instead. Been messing with the rock to find the look I like, too.uploadfromtaptalk1463109420855.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1463109416618.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463109416618.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

StirCrayzy

Good work on the drilling, 40b is notorious for cracking so use caution tightening the bulkheads.
Also the quiet one 4000 is a 900+ gph pump, and on mine at 5.5' head gets 750 gph, the 40 b is a bit shorter so you'll gain some from that.
I think you may want to test your glass holes overflow cautiously . Aka choke down on the return flow with a valve, and slowly open it up giving a while in between adjustment to stabilize the flow.
Rocks look good too.!

GhostAnchor

Good work on the drilling, 40b is notorious for cracking so use caution tightening the bulkheads.
Also the quiet one 4000 is a 900+ gph pump, and on mine at 5.5' head gets 750 gph, the 40 b is a bit shorter so you'll gain some from that.
I think you may want to test your glass holes overflow cautiously . Aka choke down on the return flow with a valve, and slowly open it up giving a while in between adjustment to stabilize the flow.
Rocks look good too.!
Hey thanks!
Ya I am looking for a double barbed ball valve for the return. However the quiet one pro 4000 has an adjuster on it, but I was going to install a ball valve just in case. I think the rock work came out nicely as well. Gonna get a few more 'chunks' and add them. I was trying to fit them together like a puzzle while having caves at the same time.

GhostAnchor

Pump will run better and last longer if choked on the outlet vs stock inlet restrictor
Sounds good! Ive got the double barbed ball valve on order. For some reason I couldn't find a non-brass one locally. Filled the tank with RO DI and is currently running. No leaks and the pump is wide open.

silver97

That cloud will settle soon enough once the tank takes it's first step in cycling. Make sure you put in a small piece of shrimp or raw meat to kickstart the process. I also have a 40b, one night the cloud was there and after I put the shrimp in it was crystal clear the next morning.
That sucks with the 20 long, I didn't have enough space for one either. I'm currently working on an upgrade to another sump that can fit in the space that I have.
I see you have a very similar stocking list to mine also! Looking forward to following along

GhostAnchor

That cloud will settle soon enough once the tank takes it's first step in cycling. Make sure you put in a small piece of shrimp or raw meat to kickstart the process. I also have a 40b, one night the cloud was there and after I put the shrimp in it was crystal clear the next morning.
That sucks with the 20 long, I didn't have enough space for one either. I'm currently working on an upgrade to another sump that can fit in the space that I have.
I see you have a very similar stocking list to mine also! Looking forward to following along
Ya its clearing up pretty good already. And the stock list isn't 100% for sure. I know I want the melanurus wrasse. I'm going to stock my tank around him.

GhostAnchor

Hey guys sorry I haven't updated for a bit. Here's a shot of the scape so far. A friend of mine ended up giving me a piece of his live rock to seed my tank. Anyways I've been testing the tank and I'm starting to see nitrite and some nitrate now. Current test results...

Salinity - 1.023
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 1 ppm
Nitrite - 1 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm

I've also got a Hydor Smart Level and a TOM Aqua Lifter on order for my ATO..

Stay tuned!
5dbb55174d7f1e5b44d0578fa3de2824.jpg

GhostAnchor

Tested the water again. I guess it's just the curiosity in me. Ammonia has now reached zero!

Salinity - 1.023
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm

I also received my ATO stuff! Works like a champ!