Stand for a new aquarium

rostervandross

Hey everybody, wanted to get some thoughts on this:

I got a 45 gallon cube and am either going to build a stand or put it on top of some other sort of furniture such as this thing here: do you think it would be ok to buy a piece of thick plywood / sheet wood and put it on top of this tv stand thing, then the tank on top of the plywood?

dOge6xm.jpg

DaveK

One of the big problems you have with items such as TV stands is that they are often made of particle board. When particle board gets wet it expands and looses strength. Since it's around an aquarium you can be 100% certain that it will get wet.

Plywood can have similar issues, but it's not nearly as bad.

Your best bet for a stand is to build the basic frame out of something like 2x4s and use bolts or large screws to hold it together. It's really not too hard to so. Then you can use plywood or similar material to make an outer casing that looks nice.

If you do build your own stand I highly recommend several coats of spar varnish or polyurethane as a finish, to keep moisture out of the wood/ Be sure to get all those bottom surfaces.

rostervandross

Yea my friends, I'm not sure it's going to be sufficiently sturdy. I think it will work but..

LvSP2ax.jpg

3FZE4cI.jpg

I think I will assemble a proper stand tomorrow. Going to read up on structuring one

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
That stand looks like it could support a baby elephant. Well done and make sure it is 100% square, so it won't rock back and forth.

Jeff