HELP! Built in tickle filter convert to refugium helpñ

theglassshah

Well I recently swiped a new 80 gallons aquarium with built in filters and stand.

Not exactly sure how to set up the filter system in middle. I was going to replace it with liverock/ rubble and maybe some chaeto. Any input or advice would help. I like refugium vs bio balls from experince in my current 30g I house just green star polyps and hitch hiking sponges but would like to expand. There are fish in the tankuploadfromtaptalk1462574445785.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

DaveK

This is a system that is an older design. Things have changes a bit since it was originally built.

I agree with you in that the bioballs should come out. However, do not put live rock rubble in their place. It will only create a dirt trap and become a nitrate factory.

See if you can add a skimmer to the second compartment from the right. A skimmer will remove a lot of junk.

It looks like there is a mechanical filter pad over the middle two sections. You could go with or without the filter pad. If you want to keep macro algae in that area you can, but then the mechanical filter pad should he removed.

You could also place bags of chemical media in that center section.