Skimmer Really Frustrating Me

RSMRyan

Hi All,

I'm having some serious trouble getting my skimmer to function properly, and I've had it running now for about 2 months.

I'm concerned that it has to deal with my water levels, it seems as though they fluctuate way too much for the finickiness of my skimmer. I've not once seen my skimmer function consistently. the bubble column is either too low to hit the skim cup, or is overflowing. There is no happy medium.

I've tried micro adjustments to my valve, leaving it for several hours before adjusting again, and I still end up with either not enough or too much.

I'm thinking of cleaning it, but I also know that some slime is necessary for a skimmer to function properly.

Here is my model: http://www.coralvue.com/sro-xp1000-space-saver-protein-skimmer (The only difference is the little air silencer at the top has 2 intakes not 1 like shown, both are uncovered.)

Any advice before I go out and buy a new one?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@dblue20

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

RSMRyan

I guess I should have mentioned that I've read the manual for it, and mostly I can't seem to get a steady water level. So let me rephrase this whole question:

How do I get a steady water level with a HOB overflow? I have an ATO to deal with the minor fluctuations.

cracker

hello rsm, Try setting it a little dry and give it some more time. Is the tank a new setup?

bbearden101

What overflow box do you have? I use eshopps and if my u pipe going over the back of the tank isnt at the right angle it will slow my water flow up to my sump and both my skimmer and return pumps level will run low

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MatroxD

http://www.tbaquatics.com/0-100-gal...ein-skimmer/?gclid=COut97Khv8wCFQmRaQodtxABng I use this one and like you said it has 2 air silencers, at first I was running the little black plug over one hole during the break in period and pulled it off after to see if it made a difference and to be honest I think it runs better with both the silencers open.

Ha ha, so that's running steady for you now correct?! I'm thrilled after all of your issues and frustration...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MatroxD

Now, OP.. Correct me if my reading is wrong, but your saying the level in your chamber of your "sump" fluctuates? Because of your overflow box? The overflow is basically surging correct?

If so, shoot a picture of your overflow box and sump, with the location of the skimmer... I think this is the same issue someone else was having on here.. But shot some pics and pat them to basically confirm or deny my little hypothesis...

bbearden101

It wasent even frustrating it ran it's course for myself the only thing that use to mess it up was before I had a ato I would pour my water in the skimmer compartment. Otherwise i have no problem with this skimmer. Just curious as to why you having such a issue and mine has seemed to set up pretty easily. If your water is to deep in the skimmer compartment Go get some plastic light racks from Lowe's or home depot a pick it up a little I had to raise mine a little. I did get to small of a skimmer first off and had constant issues how much water are you running? Where's your ato adding water in at?

MatroxD

It wasent even frustrating it ran it's course for myself the only thing that use to mess it up was before I had a ato I would pour my water in the skimmer compartment. Otherwise i have no problem with this skimmer. Just curious as to why you having such a issue and mine has seemed to set up pretty easily. If your water is to deep in the skimmer compartment Go get some plastic light racks from Lowe's or home depot a pick it up a little I had to raise mine a little. I did get to small of a skimmer first off and had constant issues how much water are you running? Where's your ato adding water in at?

Lol,I thought you were someone else..