PCDS -The reef story

PCDS

I tried a mixture of spirulina and garlic infused brine shrimp and the Kole tang was just as frenzied as the rest. I feel better although I know brine shrimp are not very nutritious for fish. I'll try a mixture of the garlic infused brine shrimp with mysis shrimp next.

PCDS

With regards to the nano reef tank - If you saw my other threads you maybe aware that I went a bit crazy with ordering corals. I've bought quite a number over the last few weeks.
My new favourite is a golden torch coral. In the blue light it fluoresces orange! I love euphyllia corals but in a nano tank size is going to be the issue. My frogspawn that was in my main tank was being attacked by my lemon peel Angel ( same one that previously attacked the Duncan ) I fragged the frogspawn into three pieces and they are also in my nano reef at the moment. If they recover fully I plan to give them to my local fishee shop. The bottom of the tank looks too cluttered with them there as well.
I am considering trying to catch and give away that lemon peel. - I never had any problems with my flame Angel - it's just that the lemon is so much more of a feisty character than my cowardly flame.

The lights are still one an acclimatization schedule but I'll add a few pictures.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The purple stylo looks a bit like a hand. The green stylo fluoresces really brightly.

shark32

About your Kole Tang... What type of seaweed are you feeding him? I am only asking because my tang will only eat green and brown seaweed... I tried putting the red one in ( about 5 separate times) and he wouldn't even swim near that side of the tank... I hope he fares well! :) Good Luck!

PCDS

About your Kole Tang... What type of seaweed are you feeding him? I am only asking because my tang will only eat green and brown seaweed... I tried putting the red one in ( about 5 separate times) and he wouldn't even swim near that side of the tank... I hope he fares well! :) Good Luck!
Thanks. It has been green algae sheets. I may try a different type. I saw some garlic infused sheets once I think. Once it is as fat as the others, I'll stop worrying.

shark32

I know the feeling! Give the different seaweed a try.. i use the Ocean Nutrition w/ the natural garlic extract... a few of my fish graze on it... good luck!

MatroxD

Thanks. It has been green algae sheets. I may try a different type. I saw some garlic infused sheets once I think. Once it is as fat as the others, I'll stop worrying.
just try going on Amazon and getting a 50 sheet pack of nori.. Just the regular roasted.. Much cheaper than the stiff at the fish store, and imho, better response and effects on the fish.. Then, either some seachem or brightwell garlic, dripped on the nori, and allowed to sit for maybe 10 minutes.. There aren't many fish that are going to resist that honestly.. Lol, and if you really want to fatten him, also get some selcon and drip it, along with the garlic on the nori.. The only fish honestly in my tank that don't go after it, are my bangai..

But, along with the above, mixing up some frozen "treated" food, has been my godsave with all my fish.. And I have had some sad looking ones as far as weight when I got them.. Now they are all fat.. Plus, mixing up the food, and only being to break off a little frozen piece once a day is simple.. And I have honestly, never been great with fish.. But with this combo,I fell I could raise a horse! And also, surprisingly, every tang I have owned, absolutely love nls pellets.. I don't know why, but they do...

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

PCDS

I'm due a big delivery today including several different types of algae/seaweed sheets, but unfortunately my yellow eye kole did not make it. I now have loads of algae to clean off the glass! I suspect it was not really a lack of food. It may have developed some sort of parasitic infection. Up until the end it was continually pecking at the rocks and glass - but getting thinner. My other fish are all quite fat - even the supposedly flat tangs!
I am rather sad - I really liked that tang. :wah:

MatroxD

I'm due a big delivery today including several different types of algae/seaweed sheets, but unfortunately my yellow eye kole did not make it. I now have loads of algae to clean off the glass! I suspect it was not really a lack of food. It may have developed some sort of parasitic infection. Up until the end it was continually pecking at the rocks and glass - but getting thinner. My other fish are all quite fat - even the supposedly flat tangs!
I am rather sad - I really liked that tang. :wah:
Sorry for your loss, seriously.. I hate that feeling..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PCDS

Thanks everyone. Whilst I really liked this fish I don't think I will replace it.
I still have two tangs in my tank and I am aware that three was pushing it. Even with the large sump, the main tank is only 4x2x2 feet. In the future I may add some thing smaller. For the moment just water changes and a lot of moping around.
I did notice that my yellow and regal tang have been more aggressive to each other since my Kole tang started waning and didn't interact with them. I think they miss it as the peace maker between them.

MatroxD

Thanks everyone. Whilst I really liked this fish I don't think I will replace it.
I still have two tangs in my tank and I am aware that three was pushing it. Even with the large sump, the main tank is only 4x2x2 feet. In the future I may add some thing smaller. For the moment just water changes and a lot of moping around.
I did notice that my yellow and regal tang have been more aggressive to each other since my Kole tang started waning and didn't interact with them. I think they miss it as the peace maker between them.
I hear you.. Funny thing is, I know exactly what you mean but for a student reason, same situation.. My naso and foxface have been doing slight battle ever since I sold my Mata.. It's like these goofballs have to have some kind of pecking order..

But I'm with you on the fish.. Honestly,I have more problems with them than coral.. Backwards, yes, but we all have weaknesses..

But I'm still sorry about your kole.. They are cool fish for sure..

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

PCDS

I haven't updated in a while. I have had some losses from the multitude of corals I bought - too many and too soon !
Of the SPS corals, I only have 2 that are not dead or on their way out.
On the other hand my golden torch is doing well as are my two Duncan corals ( including the one I rescued from my main tank.
image.jpeg
I now have 3 fish. My Royal Gramma, a Mr Grumpy ( wheelers shrimp gobie) and one Starry Blenny.
I am not currently planning to add any more fish. I am hunting for a Randal's pistol shrimp but can't seem to find one locally.

DaveR11

I haven't updated in a while. I have had some losses from the multitude of corals I bought - too many and too soon !
Of the SPS corals, I only have 2 that are not dead or on their way out.
On the other hand my golden torch is doing well as are my two Duncan corals ( including the one I rescued from my main tank.
View attachment 46021
I now have 3 fish. My Royal Gramma, a Mr Grumpy ( wheelers shrimp gobie) and one Starry Blenny.
I am not currently planning to add any more fish. I am hunting for a Randal's pistol shrimp but can't seem to find one locally.

Yes for Mr Grumpy!

Sorry to hear about the SPS but the duncans look good.

PCDS

Yes for Mr Grumpy!

Sorry to hear about the SPS but the duncans look good.
Thanks. I see why you called it Mr Grumpy! I haven't given up on SPS yet, but I will wait till the tank has stabilised a bit more before replacing them.
The stylophora were a bit of an after thought rather than my first choice. They seem more hardy than the acropora but I'm not kidding my self they may just be taking longer to fade. image.jpeg
It's a good thing I like LPS best!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    939.2 KB · Views: 1

PCDS

I am very sad to report that my Wheeler's shrimp gobie leapt out of the tank and suicided! :wah:
I have a glass cover for the tank, but because of the overflow and the return piping, there is a small gap at the back. I have had a piece of plastic cut to fit this now and will get that cut in glass. I think I will wait till I can get hold of a Randall's pistol shrimp before trying to replace the gobie. His grumpy face was so cute, I'm gutted!
The starry Blenny was slightly larger than I thought but is quite nice. He was a light brown when he arrived and I was worried that they had sent me the wrong fish. He soon darkened to the normal colours. He has largish white patches rather than tiny stars but still looks nice.