Saints Return build thread

saintsreturn

Just did a water change and things seem to be calming down in the tank. The snails, fish and conch have made it through the move but I will be replacing the lost soldiers once I get established again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

Algae is normal in tanks. Having a small amount is not the end of the world and your tank will survive a minor outbreak. That being said, you want to make sure you don't let it get out of hand either. Maintaining good water quality is something you will want to stay on top of.

You have options:
  • Make sure the food you are feeding your fish is completely eaten by the fish and not left on the sand bed or anywhere else in the tank. Turning off the pumps when feeding helps to make sure all the food is eaten by the fish and distributed around the tank.
  • Feed a little less each day for a week or so.
  • Increase weekly water changes by 5-10% for a month or so. Use RODI water.
  • Buy a few different species of snails 5x each species: Mexican turbos, Astraea, Nerite and Cerith to help eat the algae.
  • Make sure you bulbs are not old.
  • Cut lighting the tank to 8 hours a day for a month or so.
There are probably many other suggestions, but these are the ones that I can think of right now.

saintsreturn

Yeah most I have started. Will be buying more snails soon. Shop was unexpectantly closed today. Lighting reduced. Feeding less and leds. Just haven't had an algae issue before. Only 2 things have changed. 1) recently moved the tank. 2) water change with reef crystals instead of seachem. It's been 100% seachem for years. We will see and thank you [emoji1306][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Algae got in check. Red cyno came back. Took out 100% live critters and dosed the tank today. Going to get the stuff under control and then drag for store credit. This tank should be completely broken down by the time I graduate in a couple weeks. It's been fun and I hope this thread helps some folks out [emoji2]

Star polyps +
Zoas +
Mushrooms = heck yeah I get money from the LFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Dosing didn't help but it was time to break it down anyway. Cleared the remaining livestock I found and picked out some copepods for the 75g. Sold my coral and took one last picture as they put it in the display tanks at the store.
96cd0a1122843413d6826bef3899d5c0.jpg

This message was brought to you by the following: [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

saintsreturn

Yeah it was my 29 gallon that was just a maintenance pita at this point. Cleaning the rocks and was really surprised at the money they gave me for my corals. Apparently the blue mushroom is in high demand but short population here. Guess this tank may have found a second purpose in life [emoji23] we will see

This message was brought to you by the following: [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

saintsreturn

So it's been a tough couple months and I have been focusing on life stuff. But just a quick update, the tank is doing good. I lost a zoa colony for an unknown reason and have added some new ones to the mix. I also am having troubles with my sailfin, but she eats and swims fine.

Found out the hard way my heater was failing so I installed a controller and new heater, plus have a warranty replacement on the way. Over all, making some progress but more to come still.
f9c63871c97c82f40fc5cfa929b23b52.jpg
dfaa36ec5f886af2bb419c5edd3da8c0.jpg
1bd8ef5684e7bf9ed8798a0023ccbc0f.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk