NickF's RSM C130

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Thanks for the feedback, we are glad to include an extra power plug for the water cooling fan with all future RSM130 orders. Those of you that have already ordered, if you need a fan, just shoot me an email and I'll get you one free of charge.

How's that?

Thanks!
Jeff

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Gosh darn Nick :) Awesome to see another happy Steve's LED user! The tank is looking fantastic as usual and the video was great too!

NickF

Been a while since I updated, I started a new job beginning of March after taking some time off so I've been really busy with work & not given the tank as much love as it deserves. I'd gone from cleaning the glass daily to twice a week, surprising how dirty it gets :eeknew:. I've not even had chance to catch up on any threads, some nice looking new tanks on here :)
Anyway I took the opportunity yesterday to give it a proper clean & changed out my CPE & purigen so it's looking a lot better :sunshine:. Here's a quick pic I took on my phone:

Everything is doing great under the LEDs, I'm slowly increasing every week and they're currently on 54% on both channels. The only thing that isn't happy is my Gramma, he's dug himself a hole under the hammer (that's why the sand is piled up in the right hand corner) and I very rarely see him now :( although he does come out at feeding time.

I'll try to take some better pictures at the weekend but it's harder to get good ones under the LEDs.

mr_tap_water

Hi there if you're struggling to get a decent picture under the LEDs try placing a brown filter over your camera Lens Or just try turning down the blues and I'll up in the whites while taking the picture.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I also have a gramma who hides, and I think he's happy because he knows he has is safe part of the aquarium that the clown can't bother him at. Grammas are a bit territorial, so if they don't have their own territory, then they could get a bit stressed out.

Jeff

NickF

I'd been having trouble with my return pump the past few weeks, it was only running intermittently so the skimmer was overflowing. I'd give it a vinegar soak and it would run ok for a while but recently it's been cutting out every day, despite being clean as a whistle. I'd only had it just over a year (so the warrenty had run out :mad:) and this was a replacement for my previous which also only lasted just over a year, so I didn't fancy getting another RSM one. My lfs reccomended an Eheim 600, it was a third of the price and has a 3 year guarentee. It's not as powerful but he said it would do the job, especially as I've got the MP10 for circulation .

I also traded in my Lobo & got a couple of new corals :). Here's a few pics from earlier:

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
NickF,
The Eheim 600 should do just fine with the supplemental circulation. Even though it has less flow, it will still turn the water over several fold in an hour, so it should be just fine. Eheims are made in Germany, and are exceptionally reliable pumps. Personally I have found that they don't progressively make more heat as they degrade like a few other major brands. (I won't mentioned because it isn't 100% consistent with every pump, increased heat output due to pump degradation varies from pump to pump, but is worse with some pump manufacturers). I will say cheap Chinese pumps are the absolute worst, and will dump tons of heat in the aquarium.

Hope that helps?

Jeff

NickF

So I shut down my c130 a few months back as I had to move it when I was getting the room it was in re-plastered. I was about to start it up again but I’ve decided to upgrade to a Reefer 350. I’m still in the planning stages but one issue I have is that the wooden floor it’s going on isn’t level, there’s a bit of a hump where I’m planning on putting it, only a few mm but I don’t want to be putting any strain on the tank or worrying about it so I want it sorted properly.
Thoughts so far are to either get some shims to level the cabinet or putting a thick mat under the cabinet, was wondering what others here have done if they had similar problem?

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I got a thick rubber mat ~3/4" thick, from the local feed store, called a "stall pad" for horses. I just cut it to size and it allows the aquarium to self level somewhat, and you can put full-length shims underneath it. I also got a second mat for the bed of my pickup truck, which makes for a nice cushion and saves the bedliner. They were around $25 for a 4'X7'.

If you use little tiny ships like for mounting doors, it will stress the stand out too much and could cause it to prematurely fail.

NickF

Thanks guys, I've found a place selling 12mm thick noise & vibration heavy duty matting & I'll get some long shims as well so that should do the trick. I was going to procrastinate a bit longer before getting the tank, New Year maybe, but there's a 10% sale on tanks on Saturday at Charterhouse Aquatics so I might put an order in. Been looking into lights & skimmer options as well, could end up being a very expensive weekend!