TEA's RSM C250

Danreef

Wow. ... I hope is a good peaceful worm.

The picture, as I see it in the phone, looks like the body of the worm slowly fade (camouflage ?) against the rock. Very nice effect !!

Reactions: TEA

TEA

aa02ebff48e9b15570304e579de880b5.jpg

Enjoying the tank progression. Really enjoying no Cyano!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TEA

Digitate Hydroids. I'm pretty sure that is what I have in my tank. I've read numerous accounts of others having them and some say to get rid of them some say they are not a problem. Some say they are not sustainable in our tanks and will go away/die off on their own and some say they live for years. Ugh!!! So, airing on the side of caution I started the task of removing them. I've not seen any attached to my rock but only attached to the sand bed. I pulled three from the tank and I know there is at least one more that I can see but couldn't get to easily today. I'll tackle that one next time I raise the hood to fully open.

TEA

Shining a light in the tank after lights out tonight I do see some on my rock. And I see A LOT more small ones in the sand bed. [emoji16]

TEA

So, after reading numerous posts across various forums and websites about digitate hydroids I've come to the conclusion that 50% of people hate them and say they are pests and the other 50% say they are harmless and haven't hurt anything in their tanks. After careful inspection of my tank early this morning I have so many of them, and some in places I can't even reach, that I've decided I'm going to let them be and see if what most people say about them going away on their own is true. I have to believe that some folks have had them in their tanks and not even known about it.

TEA

d8f48d7d69b266b1e5a808559ffef568.jpg

982ac156cb437ad75b6185e4acd8c334.jpg

6cd047f7f67de2a8ba90dbded71373f9.jpg

ed1f834c30b52d2dd5eb6f22a37dcb88.jpg

Attended a local reef club BBQ. Had a great time and won an SPS frag pack in a raffle. Wasn't planning on SPS this soon but I've got them now! Also, the host of the BBQ gave me some GSP that I've attached to the back wall. Oh, and the Monti was a freebie since I won a frag pack.

TEA

Been a while since I posted anything. Busy schedules lately have consumed all my free time. I've added some new additions to the tank though so I thought I'd throw up a few photos.
8343396264a7ece89fd4dd2ff53c2bc7.jpg

8181eb0f311bc479fbeb43fb99693080.jpg

9a63dcf92a4751865db1e71833a1bc04.jpg

5b3d8d2d228ea50511cb0b179fda2d42.jpg

ab420b672ef8b155426ef91ce834443a.jpg

We also got a Green Madarin and a Yellow Tang [emoji15]. Yes, yes I know the Tang Police will scold me because my tank is not as big as I need to house a fully grown Tang but - happy wife, happy life!!! [emoji12]

TEA

Oh, and I got a Lawnmower Blenny. He is MY only fish. All the others were what the wife wanted. Our fish stock is now complete. From now on ONLY coral additions!!!

Oxylebius

b910404d6e337c3ef66e189690b83d4f.jpg

Got a pretty decent picture of one of the worms in the back of the tank that was fully extended early this morning.

This might be a ribbon worm. It doesn't look like it has bristles or segments. It is smooth, right? I suggest you look them up to be sure. Nemertea ( Ribbon Worms ). You can scroll through all these pages of images if you'd like: http://eol.org/pages/2855/media (this is the encyclopedia of life (eol) website). There are about 900 known species in the phylum Nemertini (also spelled Nemertina or Nemertea by different authors). So, if you can't find the exact one, don't be to disappointed. Instead focus on the body anatomy of the worm.

If it is a ribbon worm, I'd suggest you capture it and get it out of the tank, the nemertines are carnivorous. Most feed on small invertebrates like crustaceans and annelids.

The below is from this website: Berkeley University (http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/nemertini/nemertini.html)
The most distinctive feature of nemertines is a large proboscis, which you can clearly see in the image to the right. In one group of nemertines is tipped with a piercing barb known as a stylet. In other nemertines, the proboscis is unarmed, but often secretes sticky fluid. Normally, this proboscis is retained in a specialized sac in the animal's body, the rhynchocoel. To capture prey, the proboscis is rapidly everted (turned inside-out) and shot out of the rhynchocoel. It wraps around the prey, and toxic secretions immobilize the prey; nemertines with stylets use them to stab the prey repeatedly, introducing toxins into the body. Generally, nemertines are carnivorous; most feed on small invertebrates like crustaceans and annelids, but some feed on the eggs of other invertebrates, and a few live inside the mantle cavity of molluscs and feed on microbes filtered out by the host.

TEA

Oxy, I've identified them as Digitate Hydroids. Some say they are bad and some say they are not as much of a problem as they are an eyesore. Everyone I've talked to about them has said that they usually do not last long so I'm holding out for that to be true.

TEA

40f6f4ed74d8a067087873b5bee6d567.jpg

Been a while since I've posted anything. Busy with work and home life and trying my best to take care of the tank. I've experienced some coral loss which I'm trying to work out what may have been wrong. Overall I'm still pretty pleased with the progress.

TEA

07fcaaaacc7a768ec9e197a75433621d.jpg

115553da209bc9c90908f467ae841e42.jpg

6d63d427eca9e70d8b8d80666b86aa93.jpg

Did a little rearranging on the right side due to the addition of a new wall hammer. I hope it does well. We've lost two hammers in the past 4 months or so. I think they were both in too high flow. This time I placed the new one in a very low flow area. My flow also has dropped after the addition of two Spin Stream output nozzles. We shall see.

TEA

May i ask. What is the green at the back? Looks great [emoji106]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
In the fourth picture? Back right corner? If so, that is an Aussie Goniopora.

Evan