dustinc's SPS E-260

dustinc

So, I decided to go ahead and add an additional MP10 to go with my other one to add additional flow. Right now the 1 is sufficient, but I know as the coral grows and takes up space, the 2nd will be needed to add additional random flow with the 3 pumps from behind. This should add a great dynamic for the tank.

Also, I found 1 Zoa Eating Nudi and was able to catch him. I also pulled all the zoos out of the tank and dipped them. Found a couple more. Not sure what they came in on but I'll be dipping every few days for a couple weeks to make sure I eliminate them.

Oxylebius

Also, I found 1 Zoa Eating Nudi and was able to catch him. I also pulled all the zoos out of the tank and dipped them. Found a couple more. Not sure what they came in on but I'll be dipping every few days for a couple weeks to make sure I eliminate them.

Look for eggs. Dips tend to not kill the eggs. You will want to get all the eggs out.

dustinc

Update:

The tank is going great. I'm pretty much done stocking at this point already. If I find something crazy, I may add it, but it's time to start letting the corals grow. I found a Zoa Eating Nudi a few nights ago and lost him, but I took all zoas out to dip, and couldn't find any eggs or other nudis, but dipped anyways. Tonight, I found the culprit again on the back of a very small zoo rock, so I pulled it out and dipped again. It came off, but again was the only thing I could find, so hopefully he was and is the one and only.

Also, a LFS had a 50% off all livestock anniversary sale, so I was able to get some really awesome corals and a nice clam. I was able to pick up an OG Oregon Tort, Raspberry Limeade, rainbow milli, and a ton of other acros. I also picked up an amazing chalice for $35 and I know I've seen it somewhere else on the net before for a ridiculous price. Below are some pics I snapped tonight.

Sick New Chalice
IMG_0382_zpse83myvyu.jpg

2 Chalices Together
IMG_0384_zpskysufire.jpg

Joe the Coral, Oregon Tort, random SPS
IMG_0365_zpsccsrgexr.jpg

Wild Caught Tri Color & Rainbow Monti
IMG_0360_zpsgtshxlck.jpg

Cali Tort
IMG_0354_zpssqwsgdjf.jpg

Right Rock Top Down
IMG_0353_zpsu9vcw2rl.jpg

Left Rock Top Down
IMG_0351_zpse4tlkgoi.jpg

Clam and some Zoas & Palys
IMG_0370_zpsdbui0d9x.jpg

The Culprit
IMG_0378_zpsi8voozdw.jpg

IMG_0381_zpsb3tlctto.jpg

Antics

50% off lifestock!? How do they maintain margins with that kind of sale! Great looking tank. :D

dustinc

50% off lifestock!? How do they maintain margins with that kind of sale! Great looking tank. :D

It was definitely an awesome sale. I've been told they run it twice per year. They have a huge SPS tank with gigantic colonies, would guess around 600 gallons and so most of their SPS livestock comes from there, which means little to no margin on those guys. Definitely cool that they do that for their customers though.

dustinc

Update: On Wednesday, I picked up the sump upgrade kit for my E-260 and ran into a couple snags, but with RedSea's help in Houston got everything worked out. At first, the store I had order the sump upgrade kit from didn't want to include the plumbing, and tried to charge me an additional $90 for it, but with a call to Steve at RedSea in Houston, he got on the phone with the distributor and got it handled. Next, I got home excited to set it all up, and noticed there was not any return pump vinyl tubing, although the instructions say it was included. So I called Amanda at RedSea in Houston, and she got that sent out the same day and I received it yesterday. So fast forward to last night...

I was able to get the upgrade completed and running, and I'll share with you a few initial thoughts.
1) it operates pretty quietly and added over 10 gallons of water volume to the tank
2) the process of adding the plumbing was very messy (I drained as much water in the back as possible, but water continued to enter the back chamber and I didn't know it, I guess there is a small leak in the silicone between the baffles in the back wall, but not a big issue. So when I would unscrew the seals, there would be a ton of water rushing into the sump below and all around. It actually tripped my GFCI during the process).
3) the return plumbing outlet seems a little high, when tilted all the way down, you can hear the water flowing out of the pipe on top because it's coasting on the top of the water
4) it comes with the mesh filter socks, so I swapped with the felt to polish the water better.

Overall, I'm very glad I did the upgrade, but there are a couple small modifications I may need to make to ensure it runs as it should. I would highly recommend if you plan to do the sump upgrade, try to complete it before you start running the tank. Below are a few pics of what I installed.

IMG_0433_zpshphzajpu.jpg

IMG_0432_zpss2gaba8z.jpg

IMG_0429_zps34clgkqj.jpg

IMG_0444_zpseigjiefj.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsjvl5ajko.jpg

This is at a higher water level than recommended and covers the return line, may use here
IMG_0446_zps77xpdpov.jpg

Antics

Dustin, what? You know that posting photos of a sump on a Reef forum requires pristine in-stand lighting and amazing cable management. Step up your game please. I don't want to waste my time looking at realistic in-progress pictures.

:roflmao::roflmao:

CoachLarry

I appreciate all the updates. I just purchased my E-260 last weekend and am trying to learn as much as I can, as I am brand new to the hobby. What did the sump upgrade run you and did you get it from a LFS or online somewhere. I called RedSea and they do not offer it. Thanks

dustinc

I appreciate all the updates. I just purchased my E-260 last weekend and am trying to learn as much as I can, as I am brand new to the hobby. What did the sump upgrade run you and did you get it from a LFS or online somewhere. I called RedSea and they do not offer it. Thanks

The upgrade is $349.99. I purchased it from a LFS and they just started distributing them. I believe I saw they were on AquaCave.com as well. Good Luck. It's a great kit.

CoachLarry

The upgrade is $349.99. I purchased it from a LFS and they just started distributing them. I believe I saw they were on AquaCave.com as well. Good Luck. It's a great kit.

Thanks Dustin, I guess I'll have to deal with my LFS, which is not the best, because all I have found online, including AquaCave.com is the pipework.

Antics

You only have one shop to choose from? I guess I'm spoiled to live in an area with half a dozen stores within 20 miles. I'd call around and even contact some online vendors who have a relationship with Red Sea.

CoachLarry

Yes. I live in Annapolis Maryland and there is really only one LFS that I am aware of. They are supposedly a Platinum Dealer for RS yet when I stopped there yesterday they had no idea there was a sump upgrade available and said they would email RS and get back to me. The store, House of Tropicals has been there for decades, yet is notoriously known for very bad customer service. I'm guessing they survive only because they have no competition.