Saint's 75g

saintsreturn

So today's update is due to some serious storms in our area. My last trip to the LFS involved hearing about a woman losing power and then losing all her fish while she slept. So I took action. This bad boy is running my heater and return pump while my future purchases include the battery backup for my Vortech.

06dcf5206c28acd2b15d684b89f5f8ac.jpg

APC pro 1500. With the 200w heater off its 4% load and when she kicks on its a 24% load. Powering the Aqueon Pro heater and Sicce 2.0 pump for talls reference.

This message was brought to you by the following: [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

saintsreturn

So the battery is fully charged and now I know the capabilities of the system. Brand new battery(still sealed) can run my return pump for 40 minutes or run my return and heater for 7. Damn....

This message was brought to you by the following: [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

Antics

The vortech battery is pretty good and the way to go in my opinion for flow in the event of a power outage. If I recall correctly, they can also be daisy chained.

saintsreturn

The vortech battery is pretty good and the way to go in my opinion for flow in the event of a power outage. If I recall correctly, they can also be daisy chained.
Yes they can and they seem to be highly rated so I am probably going to get one. The issue I have is O2 exchange. The pump is not in the position to break surface water so how much is internal movement valued? Regardless, I am buying one because it makes my wife happy.

saintsreturn

Does anyone know if having a Backup on my in tank vortech would be sufficient in a power outage or do I need the surface area to break like a bubbler or pump powered? The in tank would have flow but nothing breaking the surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Antics

Does anyone know if having a Backup on my in tank vortech would be sufficient in a power outage or do I need the surface area to break like a bubbler or pump powered? The in tank would have flow but nothing breaking the surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In my opinion, some type of surface agitation would be critical. There will be much less gas exchange without it, and will make the flow provided by the vortechs almost meaningless if your power outage is a few hours or more.

saintsreturn

Yeah that's what I figured. I was just reading the propaganda on Ecotechs site and it made me doubt myself.

Antics

Yeah that's what I figured. I was just reading the propaganda on Ecotechs site and it made me doubt myself.

Well I'm just a guy wth an opinion, don't take my word for absolute fact either haha. But in my opinion, surface agitation is necessary for oxygenation. :D

saintsreturn

I am thinking about picking up two battery bubblers and researching a notification setting if something fails so I know to hook them ip

Antics

I am thinking about picking up two battery bubblers and researching a notification setting if something fails so I know to hook them ip

Are you considering a controller or a different method?

saintsreturn

I honestly don't know yet. Still googling a lot to figure out what to do

MatroxD

Mmnnn, Mmnnn... Sounds like a controller situation to me.. It's screaming to you.. An apex junior would be a good "end" to your needs....

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

I am saving my penny's for an apex. But the 800$ one. How does that help in a power failure though? I want battery backup capabilities for several hours not minutes

MatroxD

I am saving my penny's for an apex. But the 800$ one. How does that help in a power failure though? I want battery backup capabilities for several hours not minutes

It lets you know whenever it goes off line.. Via text, email, and sound on the unit.. It also keeps a log of power failure and disconnects..

And whichever one chooses will work well, just as long as one integrates this somehow into their system is a good thing..

I had the full blown on my first full reef, and just decided, after usage that the junior was good enough for my uses.. But the argument for the full blown is a good one. And I have considered at times buying the base unit(you can do that if you wish) to go to full blown.. But I just, at this point don't have the need..

But in your situation, it definitely would help. Just letting you know.. Also, you can make it trigger other things with "if-then" statements..

I used the 1500's at work and they work well for the slight power needs in case of a failure..

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Wow great information. Thank you both. I read up on it and logged in to tell you I see the battery backup function. Love that and even though it's stupid expensive, I will venture down that road since I already have more than that vested in this system. Texas gets crazy weather and I don't want to start this over.

saintsreturn

Sold the coral for store credit out of the tank I broke down and was pleasantly surprised at the payout. So I will be buying an apex sometime this month. But for now I am closely watching this guy.
1407ca317f06f222ec1636eb2b9d8134.jpg