Two blue spots getting along so far

Vonclownfish

Hello, I just purchased two blue spotted jaw fish roughly 1 week apart in attempt to atleast have a male/female. It's been two days since they have been in the same tank. I have yet to see any aggression between the two of them. They are currently housed in my 40 gal. QT tank. Eventually when I'm certain I have a male/female, I will put them into my 210 mixed reef. Do you guys think two males would have gone at it by now? Can anyone direct me where to read up on telling differences between the males from the females. I know the male can turn white with a blackish tail during spawning. Is there any other little signs I can try to observe?

cracker

I understand thy are a deeper water cooler water fish. That makes them difficult to keep .

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

From all I have read there no way to tell the males from females
Outside of spawning season there is no sexual dichromatism

one good read
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/hcs3/

Vonclownfish

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

From all I have read there no way to tell the males from females
Outside of spawning season there is no sexual dichromatism

one good read
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/hcs3/
Thanks for the welcome.
Update, The two Jaw fish are still getting along, or at least not killing each other. I know they see each other, and they were just chasing the same food. They both have established their burrows within the tank. One is rather shy, however its the newest of the two so that might have something to do with it. The other one is not shy at all, and made a burrow right on the front glass of the tank. Picture of the unshy one below.
JJfish.jpg

bohrio

Hi there

Unfortunately there is no way to know whether they are male or female unless is during mating season which tends to occur If I am not wrong, in summer or at least when the water is hottest (around 70 degrees farenheit).

I have had mixed results with BSJ, same as everyone. Its all down to finding a hardy specimen and second a proper environment, which IMO is pretty hard to do.

For instance, this fish does not normally do well in a mixed environment, with this I mean with other fishes so be sure to pick up proper tank mates. This, wrong substrate and the wrong tank temperature are IMO the main reason of their highish failure rate.

Another problem you might have is exactly this. Being such as secretive fish I doubt they will mate in a mixed reef aquarium so make sure you chose the tank mates well.

The success I have seen was in an aquarium with no or very few fish and tank mates. But there is no rule about this, there are also plenty of articles out there about breeding them.

Also, to recreate their mating environment you need to increase the tank temperature, which in most cases means lowering it as you are probably running your aquarium way to hot for this fish (this fish is meant to leave on water temperatures on the 50s to high 60s low 70s.

With this I dont mean you wont be able to mate them, just that it would be tricky.

Just finding 1 fish that is hardy enough and get him/her to live for more than a year is hard enough so nevermind 2! :(

But back to their behaviour, dont worry about your jawfish not making a burrow, it could take a few days before he does, normally is an indication of either having the wrong substrate or him being too stressed or the opposite, not threatened! So hard to know as each individual is completely different to each other.

I am upgrading aquariums at the minute, and I decided to put my BSJ on its own tank at 65 degrees. He is very happy there, only has a crab to worry about and that's about it.

He was in a 60 gallon tank with Tangs who were very aggressive at feeding time but he still would stand his ground and always get his bit of food, moved him into the new aquarium (only him) and he didnt make a burrow for 2 weeks. I am not sure I am going to move him into my new 200 gallon, I think he will be better suited on its own, or maybe with 1 or 2 other subtropical fish like the catalina blenny.

This is a picture of him when I threw him into the tank

BSJ is not necessarily an aggressive fish, or at least IMO not in the way people think of aggressive fish. They are territorial and dont like others coming anywhere near their burrow, this as you know is bad as BSJ are quite brave and dont care of who the intruder is they will just make sure they tell him that this is his burrow, this normally means just opening their mouth as a warning, rarely goes any further, unless the other fish ignores this threat or decides to fight back... hence another reason to put him with peaceful tank mates, I have seen BSJ being killed but other fish such as triggers just because the trigger wouldnt wonder too close to its burrow and he would attack the trigger to scare him away, bad news for the BSJ as triggers dont tend to back off easily. :(

Give them time, hopefully they will both make it and who knows, they might even start breeding in the quarantine tank!

I would suggest a bit more substrate? maybe a mix of different size grain? I got mine on a mix of 0.3 to 0.5 cm gravel (40%), rest a mix of 0.2mm to 0.1cm and he seems to love it. Also created some PVC caves to help him hide. Its a temporary aquarium but he seems to enjoy it in there.

This is him 1 week later

Funny enough on the big tank he was much more active and he would swim out in the open much more often than he does in this tank.

If I decide not to move him to the new tank I will make him a more suitable tank and find a few good tank mates for him but I will never buy more BSJ ever, this fish IMO belongs in the sea. Only reason why I got this one was because he had been in the LFS for over 2 months inside a little box and I felt sorry for him.

I got mine over 1.5 years ago now

Good luck anyway, Jawfish are my favorite fish, post pictures :)

Vonclownfish

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm not really trying to get them to mate. I'm just focusing on and hoping I can get them to survive long term. I went with two this time since I've always tried them one at a time. Im hoping having a mate will help in the long term success. BSJ's are by far my worst addiction in this hobby. I keep telling myself....this is the last one! If I don't succeed after this, I will leave this wonderful fish out of my tanks for good.

Update:
I did crush up some live rock for them last night to help with there burrows. I'll keep the pvc idea in mind. My substrate in the QT is subpar, and I will be looking into mixing in something else with it soon. Still no fighting which is great. Like others have said, two females, or maybe I got lucky and have a male and female. I'll update as I can, thanks again.

bohrio

Update:
Added some more substrate today. Rinsed the heck out of it, but it still made the water a bit cloudy. Cleared up since I took this photo. Here they are sort of together, and still no fighting which is great news. View attachment 45215

Good coloration. They dont seem stressed so excellent. However, I am not sure if they will be able to make a burrow, you could add some PVC.

I normally place PVC horizontal to the bottom of the aquarium, create like an T or U shaped structure and put a small rock (make sure it doesnt move or can fall on them) at the entrance... this seem to help them make the burrow, at least mine.

For some reason, mine always wants to built his burrow besides the front glass which is normally mission impossible, putting a bit of PVC parallel to the front of the aquarium (under the rubble) and then the U shaped PVC in front of it (I would probably go for T shaped PVC structures facing opposite sides) normally helps them as the small parallel PVC stops rubble from coming into the burrow. I am not sure if I am explaining myself clearly... I could try putting a picture.

Vonclownfish

Good coloration. They dont seem stressed so excellent. However, I am not sure if they will be able to make a burrow, you could add some PVC.

I normally place PVC horizontal to the bottom of the aquarium, create like an T or U shaped structure and put a small rock (make sure it doesnt move or can fall on them) at the entrance... this seem to help them make the burrow, at least mine.

For some reason, mine always wants to built his burrow besides the front glass which is normally mission impossible, putting a bit of PVC parallel to the front of the aquarium (under the rubble) and then the U shaped PVC in front of it (I would probably go for T shaped PVC structures facing opposite sides) normally helps them as the small parallel PVC stops rubble from coming into the burrow. I am not sure if I am explaining myself clearly... I could try putting a picture.
jawfish in same burrow.jpg
I came home from work the other day to this pleasant surprise. Ill look into pvc options. I'm just trying to limit stress at this point.