GregT's RSM250

GregT

Really nice Greg, your colors pop really nice under those lights, enjoy your rock layout.
thanks I'm happy with the oolours and quite like the spotting/ shadowing effect from the LEDs .
Been looking at how my rockwork has evolved and its totally different now. Quite abit of my rock is now sitting in the sump instead of the DT.

My wife noticed a 400L in our LFS over the weekendand commented. I'm hopeful of a larger tank this year. :)
cheers
Greg

Camille

Thanks Cam. Would you like some?
I've just been trying to find your new RSM tank thread?? Is it the 'Adding Sand' one?
A rather late reply sorry.... I haven't updated anything on line in ages. I shifted house a bit over a year ago and split the stock in the 1,000l to two 500l. They've been kind of left to themselves as work is pretty full on. I have set up a new 500l at home - new rock to try and combat aiptasia.... Did you buy the 400l yet??? ;-)

GregT

Got a problem with my LEDs.
The whites aren't coming on, only the blues. I have 4 LED units with blues and whites, with separate drivers both both colours. No issues until I dropped my hood a month ago. Just disassembled the hood to check for loose wiring but can't see any. What's the most likely cause please?

(With this new site format I couldn't see where to start a new thread?)
Ps sorry Cam. I didn't notice your reply

GregT

Replacing my LEDs with a good Chinese unit.
Intend to retain the stock hood, moonlights and timer and hope to finish today.

New LED colours. Mixed 60d, 90d and 120d lenses.
28e78ff5fc9141db2b83493542acdde5.jpg

Mockup to check fit (wood cradle to check light coverage at hood depth) - old LEDs shown in the reflector still)
f942a8cbc3d7b2d963419ff10d404ced.jpg

Last edited:

GregT

This pic shows the new unit sitting in the lower half of the hood fixture.
You can see how low it is with the rear flap installed.
Not much needed to get it to fit, just abit of cutting the top of the hood for the dimmers. The switches won't be required as I'll be using the original rsm power cable and relays (hopefully) and using the timer.
May gut the unit to keep a lower profile - undecided on this at the moment but I'm leaning towards doing this.

I'm not very 'electrically minded' more a do it and see type, so still abit nervous cutting the new units power leads and attaching to relays.

Plenty of light with the dimmers low.
LED is 2015 MarsAqua Dimmable 300W Aquarium LED Lighting Full Spectrum LED 3W Chip For Coral Reef LPS/SPS. Cost landed in New Zealand US$238
78EF12CB-D2FB-49CC-A71D-810DA87BD0BC.jpg

Last edited:

GregT

Finally finished the wiring and install. LED unit is now wired to the original Red Sea Max main power line and timer. Original nightlights retain and switch in when the LEDs turnoff.

Had to cut a hole in the top of my hood (about 2mm clearance all round) and reposition the wiring so it didn't exit via the top.

Very happy with the results so far. Still to bolt the unit into the canopy permanently so left the 4 brass holders so I can pull the unit out.
DCF32228-0A31-408F-91B8-7F1297745F97.jpg

GregT

Thanks Dom
Very pleased although I did snap some of the rsm lens clips and one side hinge!
Need to source replacements

GregT

Well its time to say goodbye to this thread for now as I've pulled my RSM apart for good.
I've started a new tank and will start a thread at RS for this (got a 400 litre tank and inhabitants (at a steal price with a metal frame) but do hope to get a 650 down the track still.

I kept my RSM250 stock for a number of years while I learnt about modern reef-keeping practices. Then modded the heck out of it with a 50 Litre sump and learnt about DIY LEDs - installed these into the hood so the tank still looked stock. Upgraded the LEDS to better ones later and cut the to accommodate.
It was a hell of a tank but was starting to get tired and worn, and I had some bubble algae that I couldn't get rid off.

Decided to strip the RSM down and kill all my rocks and corals off so i could start afresh. Ditched the sand and got some new fine white sand for the bottom.
Half of the cycled rocks are in the new tank along with the fish and some frags. I've got another batch of rock cooking and ready in a week to go into the tank - and then I'll landscape (my favorite part).
Also selling surplus fish including Niger Trigger and a juvenile Emperor Angel that came with the new tank as i want to keep softies, LPS and zoas along with a few SPS.

I was going to sell my 250 but noticed some water damage to the cabinet (due to me cutting the middle panel to fit a sump tank). I wasn't confident enough to sell the cabinet as is, plus the tank cracked while I had it outside baking in the sun. I'm sure the cabinet would've collapsed in the next 12 months so it was a blessing I'd emptied it.

I'll really miss sharing my RSM tank but will keep following the threads I've subscribed to.
Bye for now :) Greg

New tank (more rock to be added before I finish landscaping and add more corals)
[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/Greg_T_album/media/400%20litre.jpg.html] [/URL]

GregT

Thanks Dom - I'm looking forward to the extra space too.
The new tank (was second-hand) also came with 2 sets of LEDs; one I'm unsure of the brand and the other is an Orbit with a Ramp Timer Pro.

I've already decided I need to use my 300w LED unit and I'll supplement with the Orbit and Timer. I'll have my set from the ceiling and use the orgbit along the front - Lighting looks really good with this mocked up. The LPS frags have opened up and expanded since I turned on my old LEDs. Got a pink Birdsnest to montor lighting for a few sps later.