Glass/Apista Anemone Infestation

Kongor

Hey guys and gals,

Haven't posted in a while got super busy getting married and working (which is hilarious because of all the extra work I put into my job I still got laid off in December go figure) and in between vacations and work I got a massive anemone infestation on my hands.

I was wondering what people here have done to get it under control. I tried ApistaX, nuribranches, and peppermint shrimp and I've seen a slight decline but overall theres still hundreds in my tank.

I've seen people say to shoot hot water into the mouth or lemon juice etc but not really sure how effective that is and I sure don't want them to spread more lol.

Has anyone done manual removal successfully? I heard thats not ideal since that can cause them to spread even more..

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!!

Andy

How many peppermint shrimp have you got? None of the chemicals in my experience work but in my 250 I added 7 peppermint shrimp and after a week or so they where gone and the peppermint then never let them re appear. You have to get quite a few true peppermint and they will sort it out provided there isn't an abundance of food in the tank for them to eat instead of. Good luck.

frisbee

Aside form pitching the rock and starting over, Berghia nudibranchs, peppermint shrimp and perhaps a Filefish are probably your best bet. Eradication definitely won't happen overnight, but it can happen. GL.

StirCrayzy

Manual removal will come back to bite Ya later.
Best bet is use the zapper, or get a filefish, or berghia's

Oxylebius

If you have a LOT, I'd go the berghia route. It will take time, so be patient, but they will do the job for you. Makes your job easier.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good to see you back on RS & congrats on your marriage !

I have had aiptasia (came as a hh on a frag) and tried it all with variable success, added 3 peppermint shrimp and finally defeated them - you have to get Lysmata wurdemanni - peppermints though many lfs are clueless here & sell any type

Types of Peppermint shrimp
(A) Lysmata wurdemanni
(B) Lysmata rathbunae
(C) Lysmata ankeri
(D) Lysmata boggessi
(E) Lysmata pederseni
(F) Lysmata bahia

PeppermintShrimpSpeciesAndrewLRhyneJundaLinBULLETINOFMARINESCIENCE79165ndash2042006_zps6fe83b6e.jpg

Kongor

Yeah I know there isn't a quick fix, ive been battling it probably about 6 months now taking my time.

I did get the berghias, if i recall about 30 medium ones this summer and i see them every now and then at night. Wasn't sure how many survived the high flow lol and a small chemistry problem related to pH but they seem to be doing well in the back of my rock work.

That chart helps alot, I will see if anyone locally carries them and get a couple. My DT is only 75 gallons and my hawk fish tends to like shrimp

Kongor

That's what I'm thinking too. My lfs just got a filefish in a few days ago might pick him up. Been looking to add a new fish since I lost my three anthias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

I picked up three berghias at MACNA last September. I haven't seen them since. I don't know if the nudis survived or not? The aips aren't as bad, but aren't gone, I've got some big ones behind the rocks that I can't get to. I did the peppermint shrimp thing, had four different species from the list above, they never did much for the aips in my tank, so I gave up on that route.

Kongor

Well I got my file fish, pretty cool and unique fish hopefully he has an appetite for the anemones. Just fed the tank mysis shrimp and he gulped down a few now we wait.

Always worried about the hawkfish when adding anything but he has left him alone to my surprise.

I forgot to ask this in my initial post but should I stop using red sea energy a and b?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't see a reason to stop the a/b.

IMO the best natural way to get rid of them is the peppermint shrimp. Get the right kind though (A in the picture above).

The key is to starve the peps so they go after them as a main food source. Depending on your tank and how much existing food is in there it could take them a bit.

I say this because in my refugium I had about 20 growing, threw in 2 peps and never fed them. 1 week later there were only a few of the big ones left and I figured they never touch them, a week later they wiped it clean

Kongor

OK thanks, I wasn't sure if A&B would contribute to the nems spreading.

You gave me a good idea however my tank is pretty barren as far as food goes right now but maybe I will buy a few of those peppermint shrimp and keep them in the sump so they are forced to eat the anemones. Then after a few weeks (if im seeing a reduction) i will move them to the DT at night.

StirCrayzy

Same method goes for the filefish. Most will eat whatever is available pellets, mysis etc, but if they're hungry they'll get the aips for sure. Assuming you got the right species, some don't eat aips at all, the pygmy, and radial usually don't, but most LFS carry the right ones so you're probably good.