NEWBIE ALERT

terriertype

I have just started into reefing after many years of freshwater. I have been lucky in that I have had good information from various people. Having said that I have also proceeded too quickly as I am sure a lot of people new to the hobby do.

I had the opportunity to get quite a few corals for next to nothing. A persons tank developed a major leak and it was truly a “flood sale”.

I now have a hodge podge of coral and not even the names to go with them. I am going to post pictures and hopefully I can get advice on what they are and where to place them in my tank. A lot of them are frags and some are colonies. They were in buckets when I went to get them. Currently they are sitting on the substrate waiting for me to glue them in place.

I felt so bad for the fellow. I would hate to think of how much money he had tied up in his hobby and then have to give them away for next to nothing.

Thanks in advance for the help I am sure I will receive.

Oxylebius

We will help as much as we can. It is helpful to us to know what what your tank set-up is. There are a few questions below for you to answer.

How long has the tank been set up for?
Size of tank:
What filtration system do you have: Mechanic? Chemical? Biological?
Lighting?
Substrate?

And water quality parameters:
Nitrate:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Magnesium:
When was the last time you conducted a water change?

And of course pictures of the corals that you obtained.
How did you acclimate the corals before placing them into your tank?

I'd keep the corals on the sand bed until you hear more from us, particularly if they are sps corals.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

terriertype

We will help as much as we can. It is helpful to us to know what what your tank set-up is. There are a few questions below for you to answer.

How long has the tank been set up for?
Size of tank:
What filtration system do you have: Mechanic? Chemical? Biological?
Lighting?
Substrate?

And water quality parameters:
Nitrate:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Magnesium:
When was the last time you conducted a water change?

And of course pictures of the corals that you obtained.
How did you acclimate the corals before placing them into your tank?

I'd keep the corals on the sand bed until you hear more from us, particularly if they are sps corals.
Here are the answers I can give you:

Tank was set up Oct. 29/15. To cycle the tank I used Dr. Tim’s One & Only & ammonia as recommended. Initial water was 100% RO and the salt mix was Instant Ocean Reef.

Size: 36 x 17 x 17” - total, sump is built-in and is 5” and runs the entire length across the back wall of the tank. The tank is a Fluval M90
Total US gl. 36, tank gl. not including sump 27
Filtration is protein skimmer & 60 lbs. live rock & macro algae in sump
Power head 740 GPH
Sump return pump 950 GPH
Lighting 312 LEDS, 25,000K, 25 W, 1,115 LIM, 2,627 Lux

Water:
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Calcium: 390
pH: 8.4
Phosphate 0.1
Magnesium: unknown

Fish
3- Blue green Chromis - 14 weeks
1- Lawnmower Blennie - 4 weeks

CUC
1 - brittle star
4 - blue leg crabs
3- Astrea snails
4 - Banded Trochus
5 - Cerith
1 - Cleaner Shrimp
2- collector urchins (they are going to be re-homed)

Oxylebius

I have just started into reefing after many years of freshwater. I had the opportunity to get quite a few corals for next to nothing. A persons tank developed a major leak and it was truly a “flood sale”.

I now have a hodge podge of coral and not even the names to go with them. I am going to post pictures and hopefully I can get advice on what they are and where to place them in my tank. A lot of them are frags and some are colonies. They were in buckets when I went to get them. Currently they are sitting on the substrate waiting for me to glue them in place.

Great! looking forward seeing your pics of the corals.

terriertype

After doing some snooping around on the internet I found the name for majority of the corals.

Frogspawn
Hammer
Kenya tree
Sun coral
I am not sure of the name of the one to the left of the Kenya Tree
Or the the little round one

I have had the mushroom colony for 2 months or more, the Duncan’s are just a couple of weeks old