David's Red Sea Max C130

Pat24601

The photos you asked for below (just Blue LEDs), not sure if that's what you meant though!

The brain coral does not pop much at all, the plate coral does a little but the photo looks really strange! My other brain coral below though does pop, even the frogspawn in the background of the photo!

IMG_6090b.jpg

IMG_6089b.jpg

IMG_6091b.jpg

Great pics. The blues are hard to photo, but the pop shows nicely.

dgilbert2

A bit of a nightmare last weekend to be quite honest as my StevesLEDs went with a bang, quite literally, and my tank was plunged into darkness. :poof::poof:

It turned out that the bang came from the 24V power supply which had decided to spectacularly fail with a bang and small buff of smoke!

Now what should I do!?!

The PSU was clearly beyond repair and my corals could not wait 1 to 2 weeks for a replacement from the US. I decided therefore to try and source one locally, which being a Sunday was not easy. Anyhow I managed to track one down about 30 minutes drive away which I duly collected and fitted to get me up and running again (phew!).

StevesLED's have refunded the cost of this, well almost, but I believe I now have a better power supply (hopefully!). Its a branded unit "TDK-Lambda SWS150-24". Its nice and quiet, no noisy fan keep switching on and off as its designed to cool by convection. This does mean it runs warmer but that's how its designed.

Datasheet below if any ones interested;

http://uk.tdk-lambda.com/KB/SWS50-150W-Datasheet.pdf

Fingers crossed this does not fail!

Last edited:

Pat24601

A bit of a nightmare last weekend to be quite honest as my StevesLEDs went with a bang, quite literally, and my tank was plunged into darkness. :poof::poof:

It turned out that the bang came from the 24V power supply which had decided to spectacularly fail with a bang and small buff of smoke!

Now what should I do!?!

The PSU was clearly beyond repair and my corals could not wait 1 to 2 weeks for a replacement from the US. I decided therefore to try and source one locally, which being a Sunday was not easy. Anyhow I managed to track one down about 30 minutes drive away which I duly collected and fitted to get me up and running again (phew!).

StevesLED's have refunded the cost of this, well almost, but I believe I now have a better power supply (hopefully!). Its a branded unit "TDK-Lambda SWS150-24". Its nice and quiet, no noisy fan keep switching on and off as its designed to cool by convection. This does mean it runs warmer but that's how its designed.

Datasheet below if any ones interested;

http://uk.tdk-lambda.com/KB/SWS50-150W-Datasheet.pdf

Fingers crossed this does not fail!

Man that sounds like it was an adventure. I hope it's working out for you otherwise. Do you like the replacement better? Quieter? Should I consider it?

dgilbert2

Man that sounds like it was an adventure. I hope it's working out for you otherwise. Do you like the replacement better? Quieter? Should I consider it?
Its now been just over three weeks since the power supply failed and all seems well with my new one. Continuing to increase the LED power (now 53% Blue and 54% white) too.

I like not having a noisy fan keep switching on and off and the fact that its a branded unit sold by some major UK distributors gives me more confidence. Unless you really dislike the fan noise though, its probably not worth changing yours as your system has been up and running much longer, well passed the early life failure point. The only downside is the base of it runs hotter without a fan. I heard from Jeff that they now use a different supplier for their power supplies.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I'm loving your aquarium DGilbert2 !!!!

Just a side note for reefsanctuary folks. We have abandoned that brand of power supply that we used in 2015. We have now chosen to go with a name brand power supply that has no fan (for the <200W versions) and carries a 3 year warranty - all of this at no additional cost!

These new power supplies are automatically included with all purchases, and we discarded all stock of the previous version.

Thanks!
Jeff

Steve's LEDs, LLC