Our RSM 250 adventure

Desmond

NIcew tank and great thread :) If you are having issue with algae i would suggest turning your lights off for a ffew days :) This will help kill it off :) Have you added any life to the tank yet ?

Desmond

Also you could raise you sg a bit. I run mine at 1.026 but 1.025 is good alsoif you are planning on having corals. Also you could raise the temp a bit. You p04 is very high i think it may be coming from the die off from your rocks possibly.

relexus

NIcew tank and great thread :) If you are having issue with algae i would suggest turning your lights off for a ffew days :) This will help kill it off :) Have you added any life to the tank yet ?

Haven't added life to the tank. So still no clean up crew. Po4 levels are down to 0 and working on my no3 lvls. Got nitrate x from colombo and doing water changes. I figured out that the water i got to start up had high no3 lvls. And go figure it came from a tropical aquarium. So now we make our own.
I do see new life every week (running for 8 weeks now) got some beautifull feather dusters. And i think a tiny abalone (2) but they are at the back of a rock in the middle of the tank and hardly move (but they do move 1 inch per month or so)

And today i found this snail

Ps are sea urgins a good idea?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

Desmond

Personally i dont like sea urchins but each to there own. Are you using ro water for making your own salt water ? This is important. Also are you sure the life on your rocks are feather dusters not AIPS ?
If you have no life in the tank yet i would turn the lights off for a week and your algae problem will be sorted.

relexus

Personally i dont like sea urchins but each to there own. Are you using ro water for making your own salt water ? This is important. Also are you sure the life on your rocks are feather dusters not AIPS ?
If you have no life in the tank yet i would turn the lights off for a week and your algae problem will be sorted.

Atm i use ro water. I used to get my water from a commercial sea aquarium but the no3 levels were to high (i found out) so i'm making my own now. They are feather dusters so no worries there. Algae under control and i found this 5 min ago no clue what it is have to google.

Last edited:

relexus

2e320b6bcab429417ae001fba606b948.jpg

Is this nudibranch food? The transparent coneshaped things. If so i hang a sign "food this way" he is still tiny about an inch [emoji13]

relexus

ecca18d29e7cd771f002710eb69c5444.jpg

No clue what this is (the white thing on the reef) but i got two of those. They are not moving at all. One seems to be growing. Thought it was a nudibranch at first because i didn't see one day and the next day it was there. Or could it be a sponge???

Oxylebius

Hello! You have some interesting hitchhikers!

For your video on post # 46 - that is some sort of blue Dorid nudibranch

For post # 48 - the transparent coneshaped things are tunicates. As for your question on nudi food? Some species of nudibranchs eat tunicates, but I'm not sure if yours does, as I haven't ID'd it to the species level.
Tunicates are filter feeders. Good CUC, if you can keep them alive. Many will slowly die off in aquariums.
http://depts.washington.edu/fhlk12/links/StudentProjects/Tun.biology.html
http://www.mesa.edu.au/tunicates/

For post #49, now that is interesting. Tell me is it still there? Has it moved at all? I'm leaning towards it being a mollusk of some type (mollusca). Does it have a little tiny shell on its back?

For your posts questioning the snails on the previous page, can you get better close up photos of those snails?

Last edited:

relexus

Hello! You have some interesting hitchhikers!

For your video on post # 46 - that is some sort of blue Dorid nudibranch

For post # 48 - the transparent coneshaped things are tunicates. As for your question on nudi food? Some species of nudibranchs eat tunicates, but I'm not sure if yours does, as I haven't ID'd it to the species level.
Tunicates are filter feeders. Good CUC, if you can keep them alive. Many will slowly die off in aquariums.
http://depts.washington.edu/fhlk12/links/StudentProjects/Tun.biology.html
http://www.mesa.edu.au/tunicates/

For post #49, now that is interesting. Tell me is it still there? Has it moved at all? I'm leaning towards it being a mollusk of some type (mollusca). Does it have a little tiny shell on its back?

For your posts questioning the snails on the previous page, can you get better close up photos of those snails?

Thanks for the info seeing great stuff in the tank. Now for post 49 here are 2 new pics (i have two of them) they have not moved and seem to be growing. There is no shell (as far as i can see). Some small tentacles (2) on their "heads"?
2d7866056bfc364bac47b60df8d3fc50.jpg

Nr 1

97434f017da9c0b869f3f53e78144d10.jpg

Nr 2

Oxylebius

Time will tell if it is a tube worm that has lost its crown or something else.

Where are you getting your rocks out there in the Netherlands from? Since Rini has it also, I'm curious. This isn't very common in tanks. And knowing where you get your rocks from helps to narrow the search for it.

relexus

I got mine from a store in Breda. It's Indonesian life rock flown in fresh. Had it the next day.

Oxylebius

It feels hard on the outside.

Yes, it looks calcareous. Which is why my first thought was not a feather duster worm, as many of the feather dusters you see in aquariums create soft tubes from mucus and sand (e.g. family Sabellidae). But, not all. There are many different Serpulid polychaete worms that secrete calcareous tubes. And there are many other polychaetes that create tubes as well.

At the front of the tube, the opening, do you see a door of sorts that can be closed off? The reason why I ask is b/c any members of the Serpulid family have an operculum. the operculum is a "trap door" that shuts the entrance to the tube when the worm withdraws. If you see this, then perhaps you do have some type of Serpulid worm. If not, we can continue trying to ID it.

relexus

Finally we have put in a fish a couple of snails and a shrimp. Today i got some coral as well. Put sand on the bottom and here are some pictures. Oh btw the worm (not yet identified) came i think with the sand. But it was dry sand so maybe it has been hiding for 3 months???

98e0511e7f2d2642dda258d58122d1a5.jpg
9bf5de67893785532b546d8d06ad96dc.jpg
c55525120fd51638eedbb2a65cdf96f5.jpg
b19ef723c2405810f194e33957205040.jpg
5ba4b95f80ee876ef2847b2c1b7dd78e.jpg
24684e361703bb5bfc519e21dfcbb535.jpg

Very happy atm [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

relexus

Haven't had time to id it yet. Atm doing some tank work. But if you know what it is [emoji6] it is a worm of some sort.