Sully's RSM Reefer 350

mtsully71

2 months back I sold my RSM130 to a local feller that wanted to get back in to the hobby. There was a guy in town for a few years giving really bad advice and selling anything to anyone without any good guidance or actual care about the animals he sold. So the guys tank failed badly on multiple fronts. I have been helping this new reefer out with info and educating him about my experience from the hobby and what I have learned from others and he sent me a pick of his tank.

Seem familiar? Guess he liked my tank :biggrin:
Image.png

He is adding sand and water in the next few weeks and beginning his cycle, I will be in his back pocket the whole time. He is taking his time to do it right and I think he has the patience to be successful.

:threadjack: I actually got out my wife's Nikon to try and take better photos. It's charged, but I am in the middle of my living room remodel (looking sweet I must say) and it's snowmobile season. Leaving for another week Saturday. So your photos will have to wait :Tranquillity:

Tank is doing whats tanks do, encrusting from new corals is taking off and everything looks great. I have to dose B-ionic about every 3 days 10-15 ML. I also fired up my extra MP10 to circulate the back more. Blew up some detrius pretty good and I have much better water movement in the tank. Have good week reefers.

Sully

Koestby

Great read all the way, really like your tank, scape and corals..alot ! How do U like the radions ?I just swapped out my GHL Mitras for 2 x radions. MIght be a tad overkill on a rsm 250 but Im upgrading in some months I hope..Do you run your own template or stock that came with the lights? Im running the growth program on 5 weeks acclimation starting out on 20 % and working up to 40. Might go higher.. Gotta see how it works out first.

Keep up the good work :clink:

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I am hearby boycotting this thread until you get more pics for us!! :nekid:

Good to see you helping out another reefer mate and I'm glad to hear the tank is doing well too :)

mtsully71

Great read all the way, really like your tank, scape and corals..alot ! How do U like the radions ?I just swapped out my GHL Mitras for 2 x radions. MIght be a tad overkill on a rsm 250 but Im upgrading in some months I hope..Do your run your own template or stock that came with the lights? Im running the growth program on 5 weeks acclimation starting out on 20 % and working up to 40. Might go higher.. Gotta see how it works out first.

Keep up the good work :clink:

Really like the radions, my first go with LED's, so I cannot compare with others. I am using an apex and for the most part it is over my head when it comes to technology that gets to involved so I uses the KISS method. I set my own programs and went from there. Just FYI for ya, I have my lights about 10 inches off the water. I spent 3 months getting to 65%, I decided that was to much for the corals, as I fried a few LPS and even a couple acro and SPS. I saved most the affected ones and moved em lower. I now am at 60% max but only hit that for about 3 hours. So just be careful with em.

Koestby

Mine is hanging 9.5 inches roughly of the surface. One thing though, the color bars on one of the pages. Mine are set at a 100 from factory, but under acclimation is this also dimmed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiraling

Hey Sully, snowmobile or not - you need picts!

Glad to know you are helping out a fellow area reefer. Are they joining RS too? Wish I had your help two years ago when I made a bunch of mistakes, but better late than never, and my tank is looking awesome. I saw a reefer tank in person over the holidays. very beautiful. Now I'm trying to figure out how to fit another tank in the living room :p

mtsully71

Hey Sully, snowmobile or not - you need picts!

Glad to know you are helping out a fellow area reefer. Are they joining RS too? Wish I had your help two years ago when I made a bunch of mistakes, but better late than never, and my tank is looking awesome. I saw a reefer tank in person over the holidays. very beautiful. Now I'm trying to figure out how to fit another tank in the living room :p

Much to kind Monique, I am just dangerous enough to help someone off the cliff with me :bounce:. Glad your tank is doing stellar. Success makes everyone feel good. Yes, the reefers are sweet I really like mine and the glass clarity...WOW. Where there is a will there is a way, I think that Reefer will look great on that wall :)

mtsully71

Damn, fast month. Just a quick update to unbury my thread. My part of the livingroom remodel is complete. Ordered my carpet measure and carpet yesterday. I have a days worth of touchup and putting room back together, then I can get back to some more quality fish love. Daughter helped with grouting, wiping tile and staining the trim. Little cobber worked her ass off side by side so she made $20 bucks.

Spent most of the last 2 weeks in SLC, work related fun ;)

Tanks clean, looks like a picture window. On the side note had really high nitrates for a while, it just hit one week BAM! I have been doing twice a week water (12 gallon) changes for the past month, excluding last week. I am under 20PPm now and it's getting better. Increased my skimming to help reduce any organics and cut back more food. I think I killed 2-3 of my SPS corals due to the high nitrates. Not sure why my nitrates exploded with a 0 Ammonia reading and very stable/within tolerance water parameters.

Off to Spokane tonight for the weekend. Snowmobiling in Seeley Lake, MT the week of the 22 and then I am finally home for a bit.

I hope to get some good pictures up of the tank by mid March, as the Nikon is charged.

Better yet! Talked with Adam from Battlecorals. My final tank stocking order has been placed and should be in tank by 3/10 :bounce:.

Happy reefing people, I am peeking at threads when I have time, lots of nice new tanks on here and TOTM nominations were all deserving. Congrats @Kman237 :applause:

Sully

Kman237

Damn, fast month. Just a quick update to unbury my thread. My part of the livingroom remodel is complete. Ordered my carpet measure and carpet yesterday. I have a days worth of touchup and putting room back together, then I can get back to some more quality fish love. Daughter helped with grouting, wiping tile and staining the trim. Little cobber worked her ass off side by side so she made $20 bucks.

Spent most of the last 2 weeks in SLC, work related fun ;)

Tanks clean, looks like a picture window. On the side note had really high nitrates for a while, it just hit one week BAM! I have been doing twice a week water (12 gallon) changes for the past month, excluding last week. I am under 20PPm now and it's getting better. Increased my skimming to help reduce any organics and cut back more food. I think I killed 2-3 of my SPS corals due to the high nitrates. Not sure why my nitrates exploded with a 0 Ammonia reading and very stable/within tolerance water parameters.

Off to Spokane tonight for the weekend. Snowmobiling in Seeley Lake, MT the week of the 22 and then I am finally home for a bit.

I hope to get some good pictures up of the tank by mid March, as the Nikon is charged.

Better yet! Talked with Adam from Battlecorals. My final tank stocking order has been placed and should be in tank by 3/10 :bounce:.

Happy reefing people, I am peeking at threads when I have time, lots of nice new tanks on here and TOTM nominations were all deserving. Congrats @Kman237 :applause:

Sully

Thanks Sully!!!! I appreciate that. Your thread is spectacular man! Really enjoying your build.