Just to say Hi and ask a quick question.

Blennielover

Hi, I actually have a fish only tank right now. It has been a long haul, but fingers crossed I think I have finally got everything right to keep my fish healthy, happy and thriving. I joined this forum because I wanted to find out what people thought of gel binder in frozen cubes. I have been feeding pellets, but would like to have a more of a variety of food to offer the fish. I'm not sure if a gel binder is a good idea, especially since it does not occur naturally in the ocean. Any thoughts or opinions?
Thanks,
Blennielover

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome! While it is fine for the fish, more natural things are best. If you're using pellets (new life spectrum are best) then look into something like mysis shrimp, much more pure.

If you have big aggressive fish then I think they use the gel binder to keep the good together so they care tear it off.

What kind of fish and how big a tank?

Blennielover

Thanks! I have a 120 gallon fish only tank. I have blue and yellow tangs, a black velvet angel, clowns, chromis, and of course 2 scooter bennies. I also have a couple of sand gobies, 3 cleaner shrimp, and about a dozen of the tiny hermit crabs. I was thinking of trying a brand of frozen food called emerald entree without the gel binder. I used the gel binder in the past but I'm worried it might have caused some of the problems I had with my previous population of fish. Do you have a recommendation on a brand of frozen food. I have also fed frozen spiraling brine shrimp. I forgot about mysis shrimp, I will get some of that too.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You have some big fish and I've seen their food come with the binder. You can certainly avoid using it but I don't think it's a big issue.

Check out Larry reef frenzy, they make a carnivore blend that would be the best food IMO. A mix of that and pellets would be my choice. If your local fish store doesn't carry it ask them to inquire.

I used the reef frenzy, Hikari mysis and NLS pellets and was super happy.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Blennielover

You have some big fish and I've seen their food come with the binder. You can certainly avoid using it but I don't think it's a big issue.

Check out Larry reef frenzy, they make a carnivore blend that would be the best food IMO. A mix of that and pellets would be my choice. If your local fish store doesn't carry it ask them to inquire.

I used the reef frenzy, Hikari mysis and NLS pellets and was super happy.
Thanks so much for your help, I'll check into the reef frenzy line.