Advice re Calcium testing and dosing

PCDS

Hi everyone, whilst the slow progress of collecting water for my soon to be nano reef is ongoing , could I please ask for some advice?
I have not really been adding anything to my main tank - just water changes. Since I've added a few corals in recent weeks I tested Ca this morning and the level is 440 ( using JBL Ca testset ). I thought it would be lower. ??

I'm not sure if I am just getting adequate calcium from the water changes ( 10% weekly) or if my test kit isn't good enough. As you have to multiply the last reagent drop number by 20 to get the reading, I'm not sure I'm going to notice gradual reductions in Ca to allow me to dose the nano tank ( I'm not comfortable to just add chemicals! )

How do you test for Ca / hardness in your reef tanks?

I have not had much luck in the past with sps corals, so I only have a few softies and a couple of lps corals. In my main tank - mixed reef.

I want to have sps (if possible) and lps corals in my nano tank.
Any advice would be welcome - (and distracting) o_O:celebrate:
Thanks!

DaveK

Your calcium level is right where it should be. If your not seeing it go down with doing 10% water changes, there is no need to supplement it with anything.

You'll notice any gradual reduction. You would have to get to about 80 ppm lower before you would be out of the normal range.

As for SPS corals, ideally you should also test alkalinity, since this is also a factor. Also, SPS is a lot harder to keep and requires excellent water conditions and lighting. Make sure your systems is up to level there.

SPS can be difficult in a nano, but it can be done. There just isn't enough water volume to easily maintain the water requirements.

PCDS

Thank you. I actually like LPS corals more than SPS but I also like a challenge. :dance:
It will be months before I even think about any SPS.
I am going to start the aquascaping of my live rock ( and 1 artificial piece) this afternoon. There will be a couple of high ledges reserved for SPS.
Because of limited space I will need to select the corals I want carefully.
My main question is how people monitor Ca levels, (and alkalinity). Do many of you use dosing pumps? I worry about messing up the ph.
With just water changes my main tank is fine.

Oxylebius

I have not really been adding anything to my main tank - just water changes. Since I've added a few corals in recent weeks I tested Ca this morning and the level is 440 ( using JBL Ca testset ). I thought it would be lower. ??

What kind of corals? Are they softies or LPS or SPS. If your hard corals aren't growing then they will not be taking in Ca or Mg and thus you won't see much change in your water's chemistry.

I'm not sure if I am just getting adequate calcium from the water changes ( 10% weekly) or if my test kit isn't good enough.

You can always buy a different test kit or take a water sample to a lfs to see if they would be willing to test your sample so you can cross check the values. Make sure the test kit hasn't expired, there is usually a date on it that indicates an expiration date.

As you have to multiply the last reagent drop number by 20 to get the reading, I'm not sure I'm going to notice gradual reductions in Ca to allow me to dose the nano tank ( I'm not comfortable to just add chemicals! )

Test kits that have liquid reagents can take time to get used to using. Each time you use the test kit you will become more comfortable using it.

You will see gradual changes in any size tank, if you have corals that are taking these chemicals from the water column to build their coral skeletons. If this is not happening then you wont' see much of a change in the water chemistry.

How do you test for Ca / hardness in your reef tanks?

I use a Hanna checker for Ca, Mg, Alk and phosphate. I use liquid test kits for other elements that I am dosing.

I have not had much luck in the past with sps corals, so I only have a few softies and a couple of lps corals. In my main tank - mixed reef.

There are some sps corals that are easier to keep for first time SPS owners. You should do some research on which ones those are and which ones you would like to keep. Some include the Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Seriatopora hystrix and Seriatopora stellata.

I am going to start the aquascaping of my live rock ( and 1 artificial piece) this afternoon. There will be a couple of high ledges reserved for SPS.

If you really want to know if your lighting will be adequate, you can pick up a PAR reader. PAR readers are light readers and will tell you what the light intensity is in different areas of your tank. There are a couple on the market that aren't that expensive. The PAR reading will help you determine if the light hitting the ledges that you are reserving for SPS will work out. You can then determine what SPS will do well for the light intensity that you have. You will find some websites will provide PAR ranges for the corals they sell, you can find this with some acroporas that are being sold.

Not everyone gets a PAR meter, most people will just buy a coral and it around the tank a bit to see how it does. If you are interested in going the PAR meter route, here are a few articles that you may find interesting.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/review
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/equipment

Because of limited space I will need to select the corals I want carefully.
My main question is how people monitor Ca levels, (and alkalinity). Do many of you use dosing pumps? I worry about messing up the ph.

You monitor these levels by testing for them. There are a number of test kits you can get on the market. The quality of the tests kits range and so does the price. The test kit should tell you what the margin of error is plus/minus a certain percentage and this will vary with each kit. There is also user error to take into account if it is a new test kit. But, over time you will get the hang of using them.

You can hand dose the chemicals if you don't have to dose a whole lot or everyday. Overtime you may want to get a dosing pump, but when you are first testing it is not necessary (unless you don't have the time or won't be around to dose).

Even if you are dosing, I recommend still doing weekly water changes. This will keep you pH in check so you don't have to worry about it. If you really concerned about pH, then you can also test for these levels as well. You would want to look into pH meters. They also vary in quality and price (basic to laboratory grade products).

With just water changes my main tank is fine.

Weekly consistent water changes goes a long way in keep the tank in balance and your critters happy. Testing before and after a water change will allow you to understand you tank chemistry and when you need to start to dose levels.

PCDS

What kind of corals? Are they softies or LPS or SPS. If your hard corals aren't growing then they will not be taking in Ca or Mg and thus you won't see much change in your water's chemistry.

You can always buy a different test kit or take a water sample to a lfs to see if they would be willing to test your sample so you can cross check the values. Make sure the test kit hasn't expired, there is usually a date on it that indicates an expiration date.

Test kits that have liquid reagents can take time to get used to using. Each time you use the test kit you will become more comfortable using it.

You will see gradual changes in any size tank, if you have corals that are taking these chemicals from the water column to build their coral skeletons. If this is not happening then you wont' see much of a change in the water chemistry.

I use a Hanna checker for Ca, Mg, Alk and phosphate. I use liquid test kits for other elements that I am dosing.

There are some sps corals that are easier to keep for first time SPS owners. You should do some research on which ones those are and which ones you would like to keep. Some include the Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Seriatopora hystrix and Seriatopora stellata.

If you really want to know if your lighting will be adequate, you can pick up a PAR reader. PAR readers are light readers and will tell you what the light intensity is in different areas of your tank. There are a couple on the market that aren't that expensive. The PAR reading will help you determine if the light hitting the ledges that you are reserving for SPS will work out. You can then determine what SPS will do well for the light intensity that you have. You will find some websites will provide PAR ranges for the corals they sell, you can find this with some acroporas that are being sold.

Not everyone gets a PAR meter, most people will just buy a coral and it around the tank a bit to see how it does. If you are interested in going the PAR meter route, here are a few articles that you may find interesting.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/review
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/2/equipment

You monitor these levels by testing for them. There are a number of test kits you can get on the market. The quality of the tests kits range and so does the price. The test kit should tell you what the margin of error is plus/minus a certain percentage and this will vary with each kit. There is also user error to take into account if it is a new test kit. But, over time you will get the hang of using them.

You can hand dose the chemicals if you don't have to dose a whole lot or everyday. Overtime you may want to get a dosing pump, but when you are first testing it is not necessary (unless you don't have the time or won't be around to dose).

Even if you are dosing, I recommend still doing weekly water changes. This will keep you pH in check so you don't have to worry about it. If you really concerned about pH, then you can also test for these levels as well. You would want to look into pH meters. They also vary in quality and price (basic to laboratory grade products).

Weekly consistent water changes goes a long way in keep the tank in balance and your critters happy. Testing before and after a water change will allow you to understand you tank chemistry and when you need to start to dose levels.

Thank you that was very helpful. :cheers:

PCDS

Ive been reading up about the hanna checkers. I think I'll get calcium and alkalinity checkers.
My longer term plan is to get an Apex controller with pH and temp probes to start with and plans to expand to more. I will get a better test kit for the rest.:dance:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
IMO the phosphate Hannah checker is the only one worth it. Salifert ca/alk tests is what I preferred over the Hannah ones. Just my opinion though :)

PCDS

Couldn't find the salifert ones but I will try the Red Sea ones (got the all/kh and the calcium ones)
What I don't like is colour charts!
:p

chipmunkofdoom2

Couldn't find the salifert ones but I will try the Red Sea ones (got the all/kh and the calcium ones)
What I don't like is colour charts!
:p

That's odd, Salifert is Holland-based if I'm remembering correctly. I'm surprised their test kits aren't readily available in the UK.

NickF

Ive been reading up about the hanna checkers. I think I'll get calcium and alkalinity checkers.
My longer term plan is to get an Apex controller with pH and temp probes to start with and plans to expand to more. I will get a better test kit for the rest.:dance:

I've got the Hanna Calc, Alk & Phosphate checkers. I like the Alk & Phosphate ones but I'm not as keen on the Calc one as you only add 0.1 ml of tank water for the test which can be difficult and I'm not always sure about the results and end up doing it a couple of times. The other 2 are very consistent though.

PCDS

That's odd, Salifert is Holland-based if I'm remembering correctly. I'm surprised their test kits aren't readily available in the UK.

I'm sure that I can order them online- but I saw the Red Sea ones at my lfs and thought I'd try them- saying that I can't find the calcium kit- bad feeling I left it on the counter at the store!:wah: