Hello all - Introducing myself

myreeftime

Long time lurker here on reefsanctuary when I first started my RSM C250 back about a year ago. And when I started it up it was then I got really busy and had to travel a bunch. So needless to say, I moved very slowly with progressing it and adding life into the tank.

After it was cycled I added two clowns and two chromies - well three, if you count the little one I added later that the two larger chromies would just not accept. Over the course of the year I retained interest but didn't have much time, so of course I ran into parameter issues, a cyano outbreak, hair algae and so forth. This all took place when decreased water changes, realized I have old T5s, and also stopped mixing my own salt (Red Sea Coral pro) and for convenience took to filling up my 5 gallon jugs at the LFS - never again, lesson learned.

So, I've gotten the tank back on track and dosing Cal, KH and Mg and things are looking brighter. The c250 is completely stock except for the addition of a TrueLumen 12K Actinic/Marine Blue 36" LED Strip. I alternate that with the T5s morning and afternoon. Looking to get a ramp timer for it soon, but even with out it the fish are less shocked with the T5 light just coming on and going off.

Just added a bubble Anemone - and after a few days of hiding he came out to play and seems to have found a home. Just added an acropora that I couldn't resist and epoxied it to a crevice in the live rock. That was a learning experience. So we'll see how that goes and will add other pieces, likely LPS, as time and money allows.

Completely envious of the tanks I see on here and hope some day to get there as well. I do have my eye on some of the larger RSM Reefer tanks,. Love the idea of more water volume and a sump I can actually see into :) Clearly a better Skimmer would do wonders I'm sure... Not sure I want to add a sump to my C250 though its very tempting -- anybody have a used LifeReef ? I've been voraciously reading everything about different approaches to managing nitrates / phosphates and most all of them require a sump - algae skimming, Zeovit, better protein skimmer while using redsea NoPox and the list goes on. Addicted to the BulkReefSupply videos around their tank build - anybody else.... ?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great 1st post !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

meknudson2

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. It sounds like you are getting your tank back to the way it needs to be. It is tough when you have set backs but it sounds like you are really dedicated to the hobby. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. It seems like you have gained some experience that can help a lot of people :).

Andy

Your story almost is a mirror image of mine. Took my rsm 250 down due to work commitments but now I'm set it's back up and running again! Good luck hopefully we will manage to keep a slice of the sea going for a wile