Convict blenny/engineer goby

rufus2008

I have 2 of these fish that are about 12 inches long. I've had them for about 2 years and love them. A fellow reefer has two 5 inch ones for sale and I'm wondering if my original two will "play nice" if I purchase them? My system is a 108 gallon mixed reef. uploadfromtaptalk1454439066871.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DaveK

I think the fish would not bother each other. They are noted for being peaceful. However, you already have two large fish in there, and your adding more. You might be way overcrowded if you add more fish.

rufus2008

I think the fish would not bother each other. They are noted for being peaceful. However, you already have two large fish in there, and your adding more. You might be way overcrowded if you add more fish.
Really I only have the 2 convict Blenny's, 2 tangs , damsel, cardinal, and 4 clowns in a 108 gallon. You think it would be too much?

DaveK

It might be too much considering the size of the fish. You already have two large convict blennys and the tangs will get large also. The clowns can get to about 4 inches. The other fish will stay on the small side. Large fish need quite a bit of water. Typically you want to limit your stocking of fish to about 1 inch of fish to 5 gal of water. By the time you add a sandbed and live rock to a 108 gal tank your down to about 85 - 90 gal. This means you want about 18 total inches of fish. You can go over this a little, but I don't recommend going way over that limit. Think of it as a guideline.

rufus2008

I'm getting them this weekend. One of my original convicts got too close to the carpet anemone and died. That makes five fish that met their demise because of this pretty anemone.
0b9002217ddea9494159ad2dc7832a4d.jpg

DaveK

Yea that happens. Carpet anemones have very powerful stinging cells, and few fish stung by them survive. Think of it as something that enjoys expensive meals. (grin)

rufus2008

Well the new fish swam directly into the carpet [emoji20] so that makes seven fish and another $40 for a snack for the carpet grrr.....