My 200gl

cracker

Agreed! Please believe me I was referring to several other BIG sites. Not here in any way! That's one reason I like this place. Some of these guys were down right militant about sand depth. Like They were ready to take over an LFS somewhere in Northern Montana ! I'm just kidding Folks.! AnyWay, I "will "
put about 2 inches of sand in this new setup. I want to get some live sand from the jetties, maybe even a" little" mud from the marshes. I don't want to take sand from my big tank to seed this new one.
After all it's just for a lobster, right?

Last edited:

Squatch XXL

In general I've found there are many different opinions on why you shouldnt be between 2-4"
I kept a 4"-5" DSB in my 75 for years. The thing is, after time things dissolve and settle. Adding sand helps avoid the often discussed release of hydrogen sulfide.....This is my opinion on it anyway.

I do love the look of the synergy overflows. I think side panel drilling for outlets is one of the better tricks that this hobby has created over the last decade. There was nothing like it when I had my 75, and it came with a HOB overflow, so that is what I used for quite some time.

I enjoy the herbie setup because it is silent. I directed my non-siphon drain line into what is basically a modified durso in the sump.

This setup helps separate the water and air. Water goes down the bullhead tee, and air comes out the hole in the cap that is higher than the rest of the pipe. It keeps almost all of the bubbles out of the sump, and none make it back to the DT. I did this because I was sick of seeing bubbles floating around in the DT.

Like They were ready to take over an LFS somewhere in Northern Montana !

Did someone call the Tang police again?

Seeding is more to add established bacteria, I can't see why not to use some current sand.

If you trust the local sand and mud/muck, I can't see any reason not to use some. I would also add from your tank as well. It never hurts to mix and match cultures of bacteria. The more the merrier?

cracker

Evening Folks, I decided to mount this synergy overflow on the side.

This way I can play with the herbie drains and still get to it all. Also I can run the drains straight down into the sump. I assure You this old 75 is worth less than the overflow!
Here is a pic of just how badly etched the back glass is

I also bought a couple of bags of caribsea live sand. I'm not so sure just how live this stuff is though. I will collect some local seed sand from a nice clean place. I don't want to use sand from my big tank though Like it to be separate as possible, I did use LR from the big tank so I assume it 's in there already.
Any way I really need to get this tank up and going so Lobster boy can have a better home. Folks I have been all over the place with this setup! Also I think I changed the type style. How in Hades did I do that? LOL

Squatch XXL

I love the side mounted overflows. You and I must be brothers from a different mother, because I am 99% sure that my 80g will be getting the same so that I could use it for a peninsula if I ever wanted. If you wanted to rear mount, you could have put your adjustment valve lower than the tank to avoid reaching behind. Either way, no matter what happens with this 75g, you have an awesome overflow setup, and it is certainly a great investment.
Also I think I changed the type style.
Looks like Italicized. Look ^ there...there is a letter "I" but it is inebriated and leaning against an invisible wall next to the "U" standing on the edge ready to jump. (I am using the quick reply option, so there may be another way). They need to be more like the "B". See how strong and proud he is.
this old 75 is worth less than the overflow!
Wowzer, you aren't kidding. Seems like a perfect second tank. I looked into the synergy overflows when I was in my DIY frenzy, and was sticker shocked. Recently I have been pricing 75g tanks, and one with no overflows new would run me 70% of the cost of the same overflow box. It reminds me of the kids with the 98' civics with $3k rims and tires....except awesome.

I read that you will be keeping it separate from the current 200g? I am curious to your thought process on that decision.

cracker

As for keeping the 2 systems separate, I have had so many issues with 200, particularly every form of algae known to exist. However I've already done it by taking rock out of the sump and putting it in the 75. I scrubbed it real good and didn't add any bad pieces but still.
Ya the 75 isn't exactly a clear view. It set out back on the porch for a good 10 years but don't know what etched so badly. I had straight muritic acid on it for a good 15 minutes didn't even phase it. " some day" I will find another 75 or a little bigger install this fancy overflow and set up an easily maintained reef only. My 200 is too big for my abilities to keep any serious hard corals. But for now the 75, it's for the lobster and whatever. Here is something to think about. I plan to use Atlantic White shrimp for a cleanup crew. I can buy a dozen live for around 3 bucks at the Bait shop. I want to see how that goes.

cracker

Man! I think my glass hole saw is worn out! I drilled for a good hour plus, went thru 2 batteries on my drill.
Then ran out of light! I was so close too! :txchainsaw:

cracker

Ok today I came to the realization that this hole saw is shot out! I ordered another, it will be Monday or Tuesday! Wither way I can stand there holding the drill or I can wait for the new one . How in the world did I let You Folks talk me into this? ;)

StirCrayzy

Around here you can get diamond stuff re-coated but probably not cheap, I never see the bill, but I know it's cheaper than buying new CNC tooling.
Then Again Detroit is a pretty industrial area and if you don't have a lot of machine shops around you probably might not have that option

cracker

To be honest Stir Jax Florida is a good 10 years behind all other larger cities. I'd be hard pressed to find a shop to tuneup this bit. I just ordered another. 35$ should have it Tuesday.
Also My Father sent me an E/M titled" Nature's Wonders." there is a very cool looking Tang must be recently discovered ! I give You the Elephant Tang !

What do Ya'll think!
:poke: fun at You!

Squatch XXL

I came to the realization that this hole saw is shot out!
Mine came from a "big box hardware store" and I had the sensation that it was done as well. I drilled a total of 4 holes. 2 through my 40 breeder, one as a test through 1/4" glass and the final one through my 10 gallon sump. The 10 gallon sump was the last, and I did notice that it was taking its time.
What do Ya'll think!
How many of these elephant tangs do you think would be good in a 20 gallon long? I already have 3 in there, and I am concerned that I won't be able to have more than 5. The long haired kid at the fish store seems to think I could keep at least 7, but I don't want to have to change water regular....Which Is why I got more snails. Im really happy he was there to set me straight.

cracker

I got the new hole saw today. It took about 5 minutes to Finnish the holes ! I have the stand all leveled out. I used old plastic gift cards as shims. Now, I need my buddy to help me carry the tank to the stand.
The hole saw I used was bigger than what the instructions called for. I may have to silicone the bulk heads. We shall see !
Also I think the huge wetdry I was using as a sump was leaking. so I need to address that as well.
Hopefully some day I will get some water into this tank!

cracker

Evening Folks, well I got the overflow mounted and level on the stand All bulk heas are all just hand tight.
Next I will dry fit all the drains etc.
On a side My big tank is freaking me out. The whole tank is covered with this off white slimy stuff ! It's chocking a couple of corals It's driving me nuts. The Ha is about gone, the bubble has dissipated greatly . But now this white stuff! The sea Cuc is not moving around as usual. I blasted it with a power head and it reacted so not dead. The urchin seems druppy. the snails and hermits are out and about though. No water parameters yet. Regardless of the test results I need to " really" step up the water changes.
I plan to do water changes as fast as I can make the water. Never fails as soon as one type of algae fades another type moves in !

cracker

So I pulled some more rock out of the big tank for scrubbing. I hate to disturb the biolife but have to remove as much of this off white stuff.
In between scrubbing sessions, I managed to glue up all the fittings for the synergy overflow. I cut some stand pipes, filled the tank and gave it a dry run! This overflow is amazingly quiet. There are issues with the ends of the drains being too deep ( in the sump) etc but easily worked out. In the past I would never admit to buying something I could make myself but this overflow is very nice. So There I admitted it I'm not that stubborn!

StirCrayzy

Enjoy the show! It's a must for any Star Wars geek, but the story line concepts are pretty unimaginative.
Oh, by the way,
I hate Yogurt.

cracker

Another Mel Brooks Fan! In mho this movie was disappointing. Devoid of any real action and surely unimaginative. I really think Abram's new Star Trek movies were much much better. I can only hope the money people told him what and how to do it. I digress from the topic at hand. Here is a pic of the plumbed overflow.

Now the hoses I used are from old wetdry's and will be cut to proper length when I figure out a proper sump. What ever happened to a simple 3 section sump? I have every thing to actually set this tank up and start a proper cycle. I can swap out the sump later.

mtsully71

Another Mel Brooks Fan! In mho this movie was disappointing. Devoid of any real action and surely unimaginative. I really think Abram's new Star Trek movies were much much better. I can only hope the money people told him what and how to do it. I digress from the topic at hand. Here is a pic of the plumbed overflow.

Now the hoses I used are from old wetdry's and will be cut to proper length when I figure out a proper sump. What ever happened to a simple 3 section sump? I have every thing to actually set this tank up and start a proper cycle. I can swap out the sump later.

Love me some History of the World, Men in tights and Blazing Saddles, sadly the world has become to sensitive and politically correct for humor of that genre. BTW, totally off topic but "a million ways to die in the west" I have not laughed that hard in a long time :roflmao: