Timmons Reefer 525 Build

adw311

Sorry to hear that. It looks like it starts at the joint for the sock holder. Curious to see what they say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BTimmons

I have some extra JB Waterweld laying around from my rock work. About a stick and a half. Thinking of slapping that on there when I get home from work.

Jay Morris

A disheartening evening has unfolded...

9ed029e1ff52e93368248d2460dd8334.jpg

I filled up my display with freshwater. It started to drain to the sump. I hear a loud noise in the sump. That crack is in the drain chamber next to the filter socks. I don't know what happened. I don't have any glass working experience and I have no idea if it's fixable. Everything looked great until this...I emailed Red Sea...[emoji20]

BTimmons

Thanks man. I was enjoying it as well, until last night. Worst part is my reeflink and Return pump adapters are arriving today. Now I'm STILL not ready. [emoji19]

I rented the suction handles from a local place here, Grand Rental Station, for $16 for the day. Each handle was rated for 240 lbs. I figured the tank weighed ~275 lbs.

It was a truly nerve racking experience but it went off without a hitch.

BTimmons

So I just spoke with Amanda at Red Sea and my replacement sump should be shipping out today! That's great customer service. Working on getting my QT setup and cycled since I'll need that first anyway.

One more shot of the Radions. Really impressed with the aesthetic qualities of these lights. Hopefully the corals like them as well!
12b40b821f4947b31473d9224735240e.jpg

BTimmons

So I got my new sump today and hooked everything up. Did a thorough leak check and what do you know? I have a leak in the male connector for the return line barb. It's weird though, it's not where the barb is fitted to the black plastic, I figured it was the joint but it's not. It's in the actual black plastic of the connector, right above the joint. I'll try to get a video. It's smaller than pin size. Produces one drop say every 8-10 seconds maybe. I can watch the droplet just pop out of the side of this black housing which is supposed to be handling the force of my return line. Mind you this is with my Vectra on the lowest setting. I'm hoping some silicone will fix it right up, although it's pretty unsettling as now I'm worried this piece might blow apart someday down the road.

Build quality of this particular Reefer seems to really be lacking compared to the S650 I had. I thought it was a good deal and I'd save money because I swapped out most stock equipment on the last one. Figured I could get this and equip it for the base price of another 650. I do like the rimless design and lack of molding better, but my 650 seemed bulletproof!

meknudson2

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with quality of your tank. It really is a bad thing when you put money into something and get something that does not allow you to enjoy what you are hoping for. one time bad two times not acceptable.

Oxylebius

So I got my new sump today and hooked everything up. Did a thorough leak check and what do you know? I have a leak in the male connector for the return line barb. It's weird though, it's not where the barb is fitted to the black plastic, I figured it was the joint but it's not. It's in the actual black plastic of the connector, right above the joint. I'll try to get a video. It's smaller than pin size. Produces one drop say every 8-10 seconds maybe. I can watch the droplet just pop out of the side of this black housing which is supposed to be handling the force of my return line. Mind you this is with my Vectra on the lowest setting. I'm hoping some silicone will fix it right up, although it's pretty unsettling as now I'm worried this piece might blow apart someday down the road.

I'd return it and get one that doesn't leak. I wouldn't try to silicone it to fix it.

BTimmons

Yes, that's the plan. I did silicone it, and it's working flawlessly, but I will be asking for a replacement.

BTimmons

b5cab97215351cffa95d7c3f497c1eef.jpg

So my first 2 inhabitants have made their way to the QT tank! A pair of DaVinci clowns I spotted at my LFS. Felt great to walk back through that door! I had been thinking to get snowflake clowns but these little guys were irresistible and I didn't have to pay shipping. $100 for the pair seemed decent pricing to me.

Picked up some test kits as well so I can monitor my cycle in the Reefer. I'll be using the Reef Mature program. About to get started now. Need to read the directions and hopefully I'll get finished in time for The Walking Dead. [emoji41]

BTimmons

I forgot how long it seems to take waiting for a tank to cycle! Feels like it's been forever already and I don't even have any nitrites yet. I'm on the 5th day of the Reef Mature Program but I used all dry rock so I was already prepared for it to take longer than stated.

My clowns are doing great in the QT and I have another addition shipping out on Tuesday
4ca41cc36b61b5f7002d35c8834a0289.jpg

Picked up this guy on Diver's Den tonight. Coloration looks great and I can't wait to have him here. I have a bunch of extra PVC laying around so I was thinking to make him some elevated perches with PVC "caves" in the QT.