Max C-250 sump cleaning

Rini

Hello,

Have tried to search for an topic like this, can't imagine it is not around. But didn't find any.
Perhaps my searching skills are lacking here.

Since June this year we have an Red sea max c-250. As known this system has an sump in the back.
Currently i'm cleaning the waterpumps every month or so in a bad with vinegar. Cleaning the black sponges almost weekly.
The sump however is never cleaned. I notice when i go inside with my hand it is getting rough.
Wondering if this should become part of the cleaning round each month or so.
If yes, what is the best way to clean? Hope that some people with such sort of systems are able to guide me a bit in this.

Thanks in advance.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Rini - I clean mine once or maybe twice a year (pumps too) I just use clean cloth wrapped around a long wooden spoon. I also time it with a wc & at the same time when I am replacing my chemical filtration as you are stirring up lots of nutrients. You can also siphon from the back during the wc.

see what others suggest & do...

some never clean & many once a year, I believe...

Rini

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply.
Before you start cleaning do you first remove the water from the tank for the WC? Lets say you remove 25 liters/6,6g , and then start cleaning?
Or are you cleaning with full water level in the sump?

Further do you remove the hood of the tank or just put in highest position?
Basically thats the position I always use. Except for feeding then i use the small part to open.

Cleaning once a month is a bit over kill then I guess.

Danreef

Each tank is a different world and all depends on the nutrients equilibrium of you tank.

I have never siphoned the back sumps of my RSM 250 in the year and a half I had the tank. Yes, there are some detritus in the bottom, but it is nothing to worry about (IN MY TANK). The left chamber with pump 1 is FULL of feather dusters. But not the right one where the chiller pump is (strange ?).

I cleaned the pumps this weekend after 1 year. They needed a clean, but they were OK. So as Glenn's said every 6 months could be good. You do not need to do it monthly at all.

I have not been using the sponges, or any mechanical filtration, for the last year. All great. But !!!! That is my tank. You need to find what works for you.

Cheers
Daniel

Pat24601

Very similar to Glenn and Daniel. I've cleaned my pumps once after about a year so far and wiped down the sump a bit. It really wasn't that bad. Some snail shells back there and stuff like that. I'm not sure I did an awesome job, but I'm also not sure it matters very much.

The bad thing is my experience was so good that now I can see me talking myself into not even doing it once a year. Probably once a year is a good idea just to keep it from getting to be a super difficult/gross job later.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good advise from all ^

when I do clean, I just turn the pumps off, I don't remove the hood, about once a year is my routine too