Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Here's a small upflow scrubber helping a big tank. Starts at 4:00

[video=youtube_share;ikGzWMxB6cs]http://youtu.be/ikGzWMxB6cs[/video]

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
First harvestings of a two-compartment version:

[video=youtube;3O-rXqToTuM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-rXqToTuM[/video]

cracker

I'd like to know just how much "dark time" the algae needs. Also a definition of dark, like complete dark? How little dark time can I get away with? Thanks!

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor
18 hours of light, unless it's growing black.

This is not always true for all scrubbers. LED scrubbers in particular, if the fixture produces strong enough light. I know people who run 6 hours/day on 18 off. I don't run any of my personal scrubbers more than 12 hours/day.

cracker

Thanks gents, This is a new scrubber with led lighting.Lit for a 18 days now. So far I have brown stuff. I am running 16 on 8 off. I scrubbed off the brown stuff. Was wanting to know if I could go to 18/6 or even more lights on time. I' realize this takes time. Thanks, Brian

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Here are some upflow layout designs to give you ideas of what might fit your tank or ability to DIY better:

Simple upflow screen:
Post1.jpg

Attach to glass:
Post2.jpg

Bubble remover:
Post3.jpg

Attach to glass, with compartment:
Post4.jpg

Attach to glass, small:
Post5.jpg

Hang on back:
P6.jpg

Collector:
P7.jpg

Floating:
P7.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Coming this summer 2016:
Waterfall algae scrubber
Version 2

After I invented the waterfall scrubber in 2008, it's great that so many people got to DIY it, and it's also great that lots of builders/sellers used it as their design up until the current day. It's had over 7 years to gather hobbyists.

2012 was a good year though, when I introduced the upflow scrubber. It's only had 3 years to gather hobbyists, but offers them what they did not have before: a compact place where they can put a scrubber that does not spill over when it fills up.

Now that the upflows are established, it's time to do some more work on the waterfalls. They've been unchanged since 2008, and almost every part of them can be improved. So over the next year or two I'll post up the improvements piece by piece. Hopefully the improvements will be useful to all.

Floyd R Turbo

RS Sponsor
You'll have to forgive the sarcasm of my last post. My point was that I, as well as plenty of others, have suggested and/or made plenty of what I consider improvements to the basic design of the waterfall algae scrubber since it was originally introduced. So to say that it has remained "unchanged" is just wrong.

It's true that the core concept of water cascading down a substrate that is illuminated has not changed, but that's why it's the core concept. Plenty of other things have been tweaked, modified, added, and improved.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Trevor Janvier in Canada is having fun with his upflow style: "20 days... that's pretty wicked growth, and it seems like my glass algae has lessened. The first picture is 6 weeks ago the next is 4 weeks ago, and last are today, all are 2 weeks intervals with 24 hour lights. phosphate is between .06-.19 and I only clean the glass about once every two weeks and it takes only a min or two. best thing I have done for my tank"

UasTrevorJanvier-1-sized.jpg

UasTrevorJanvier-2-sized.jpg

UasTrevorJanvier-3-sized.jpg

UasTrevorJanvier-4-sized.jpg

UasTrevorJanvier-5-sized.jpg