Live phytoplankton

PCDS

Good morning everyone. Do any of you use regular live phytoplankton in your tanks to improve the copepod population? If you do- is it supposed to be quite smelly? I bought a small bottle of live phytoplankton but it stinks and I'm not sure I want it in my tank ( only supposed to add a few drops) :coffee2:

NickF

Quite smelly :eek: is putting it mildly. The first time I opened the bottle the smell nearly knocked me out, I think it's the gases trapped inside. After they are released it doesn't smell that bad afterwards. I also used to shake the bottle every couple of days, I think I read it somewhere.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Buying it is a waste of cash in my opinion because it goes fast. I grew cultures in 3 litre soda bottles and that was a good supply.

Sadly I never saw any tank benefit.

PCDS

I think the "fragrance " is enough to stop me from ever buying this again!:stars:
I'll stick to restocking Copepods whenever my LFS has them.

Andy

Be careful when adding. Iv seen it reproduce at such a rate in good water quality that the tank goes cloudy causing poor light for the corals. Sure you will be fine with small doses but just a thought........If u ever do have that problem a uv filter/clarify clears it : )