PVC plumbing adhesive question

lilj104

I am trying to assemble my plumbing for my refugium. I've bought a lot of my PVC parts from Home Depot, Lowes, ACE Hardware, and amazon.com. I want to make sure that I do not glue the PVC together with a adhesive that will be toxic to my aquarium.

So what glue can I use to glue the PVC together? Also the name of the primer and glue would be appreciated. Can they be found in home depot or loses?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah just use the Oatey purple primer and the Oatey All Purpose Cement. They have both at Lowe's and Home Depot.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Get the All Purpose Cement in the Red can and be sure to use it in a well ventilated area.

kyle4201

I wouldnt recommend the purple primer,, it will leave your plumbing looking terrible. I believe the gold colored glue requires no primer.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
There are quite a few folks who don't use primer at all since this is not a high pressure application.

jmc1974

clean the pipes with a moist clean rag, then apply a thin but uniform coating all around of cement, color only means you'll see it or you don't, it normally is important to a plumber or gardener to know how fast is it going to set, the red hot does not need primer, you will only use primer for high pressure applications. our hobby you can get away with clear cement and no primer, just clean the pipes well both the pipe outside and the fittings inside where the pipe and cement will have contact.

Squatch XXL

In our hobby, waste lines (from dt to sump) do not need primer. As @jmc1974 wrote, you can easily clean the ends with iso-alcohol and be good. You can also do a light sand to the end, and only use glue. I am obsessive and used purple primer....Only because it came in a pack with glue. I measured each piece and kept the purple back from the farthest point of the bell of the fitting, so that when I glued, the purple stayed under the fitting. It makes a nice purple ring right to the edge of the fitting if done this way, but takes way more time than just slopping it on.

In the real world where work is viewed by an inspector, the primer is purple so that that individual can see and know that joints were done to spec and approve it. NEVER EVER use clear primer on a project UNLESS the inspector knows and approves prior to your first joint.....There have been entire projects that have been ruined because of this oversight....The solution to that is removal of all glued joints, lots of couplings and lots of extra fittings. IT does not matter if the client does not want to see purple primer. They don't like to see change-order bills either when they need 300% more fittings.

However, keep in mind that no building permit is required or necessary for piping out a fish tank.

I would ALWAYS recommend using primer on the supply line from the return pump(s).

StirCrayzy

This thread is pretty old, but welcome JMC, it's good to see that folks are finding answers in past topics !
I use regular clear cement with purple out of habit, just because .
The pipes that are visible got sprayed black anyway, for side view aesthetics, and most importantly, because white salt creep can't hide.
My inspection is the only one that matters ;)