Hello Red Sea Owners . I need your help

ninjatech

So i have setup my light schedule as follows Turns on at 4:00 PM and turns off at 12:midnight. Then the actinic lighting kicks in till 4:00 PM

I tested again this afternoon. USING API (Still waiting for Red Sea test kits)
Here are my parameters using API

Water Temp is 78
Salinity 1.027 Refractometer
Nitrate 0ppm Api
Nitrite 0ppm. Api
Ammonia 0ppm Api
PH 7.8-8.0 -Api
CA 460
KH 125.3

Those are my numbers for at least over a month now with the exception of calcium which was 480 ...even after adding those colonies.

The other questions I have regarding the colony

1. How do I know if they are healthy or if they are doing good hard to tell compare to LPS?
2. I dont see polyps on them yet. I do see one on one of the bigger colonies the rest none.
3. I don't see any slimes since the day I put them in my tank, I guess thats good.
4. Do I need to woory about not seeing polyps yet.

Danreef

Hi....when you say : Actinics till 4 pm . Do you refer to moon lights ? Or you are refering to real actinic lights.

More: is the tank in a room without windows ?

ALK : there is a typo ... has to be 12.5 dkh and this is TOO HIGH. Do not add any alk to your tank and let it go down by natural use of the corals. Do not try to change PH as you wrote in the RC thread.

What Salt are you using ?

What is the Alk level in your freshly prepared salt water ?

No polyp extension = Unhappy corals in most acros !!!!!!!. Do you have an angel fish. If yes, they will bite the acro polyps and that could be another reason of no polyps.

When lights are off , do you see polyps out ?

Daniel

PLEASE: Can you post close up pictures of your colonies. Not the full tank !!! . Pictures like in this example: Acro frag glued Yesterday at 6 PM. Half an hour later has all the polyps out. Picture taken today AM. Came from another reefer and was dipped. But nevertheless, he has the polyps out in a very short time

Last edited:

ninjatech

Red sea site says Red Sea 55W Dual 10000K/Actinic PowerCompact Bulb..When my main light turns off . I see the blue bulb turns on . I assume those are the Actinic.. correct me if I am wrong.

sorry my dkh is 7/ ppm KH is 125.3 :) from API conversion chart

Yes my tank is located away from Windows.

Never looked at my tank at night ...LOL . I work the night shift HAHAHA. I will do that on Wednesday

Danreef

Normally the actinics and the white bulbs are on together.

If not you are providing the tank a 24 hour light cycle.

Danreef

Red sea site says Red Sea 55W Dual 10000K/Actinic PowerCompact Bulb..When my main light turns off . I see the blue bulb turns on . I assume those are the Actinic.. correct me if I am wrong.

sorry my dkh is 7/ ppm KH is 125.3 :) from API conversion chart

Yes my tank is located away from Windows.

Never looked at my tank at night ...LOL . I work the night shift HAHAHA. I will do that on Wednesday

Can you please explain these numbers !

......sorry my dkh is 7/ ppm KH is 125.3 :) from API conversion chart.......

The API test for hardness (KH) counts drops !!!!! If you add 7 drop and you see a change of color in the tube then you have a 7 dkh.

What is that 125.3 ?

And what converting chart are you talking about ? There is no converting chart on a KH API test. Is just drop counting !!!

Best
Daniel

Oxylebius

I'm not sure I am following you correctly here. Are these the moonlights that Red Sea has in this tank? The 10K light is daylight. The actinic is blue light. Is this a combo bulb? And does this turn on as the moonlight for this tank?

The tank needs a dark cycle. The actinics that you mentioned might be too bright and not dim enough for a dark cycle. If they are moonlights (very dim) then this is ok. I'd recommend not keeping the actinics on all night long.

ninjatech

Can you please explain these numbers !

......sorry my dkh is 7/ ppm KH is 125.3 :) from API conversion chart.......

The API test for hardness (KH) counts drops !!!!! If you add 7 drop and you see a change of color in the tube then you have a 7 dkh.

What is that 125.3 ?

And what converting chart are you talking about ? There is no converting chart on a KH API test. Is just drop counting !!!

Best
Daniel

Daniel what is a good dkh or what should i be aiming for I am in 7.. the 125.3 I see it on the api chart next to the 7 . sorry about the confusion.

Also when I got home this morning I did see polyp extension , they are barely out. hope fully its still adjusting.

Danreef

Daniel what is a good dkh or what should i be aiming for I am in 7.. the 125.3 I see it on the api chart next to the 7 . sorry about the confusion.

Also when I got home this morning I did see polyp extension , they are barely out. hope fully its still adjusting.

7 dkh is good !!!!

Keep it there.

Good that you start to see polyps out.

Post the tank values when you have the Red Sea kits.

Best
Daniel

ninjatech

Hello Daniel and everyone

So tonight was the first time I have tested my CA with Red sea kit. Upon doing the test of CA, I used up all the 1 ML on the titrator and my test kit didnt even turned purple??? WTH its almost like light blue ..

Tested with API kit showing 480 with calcium....your thoughts...

BTW my acroporas seems to be doing fine .

ninjatech

Ok looks like i have a problem i woke up this morning and oe of the colonies lost the aking..its purely white ...so i guess thats a goner....

Danreef

Ok looks like i have a problem i woke up this morning and oe of the colonies lost the aking..its purely white ...so i guess thats a goner....

Correct....gone !!

You didn't saw it coming ?

Most of the time start in the base and progress to the tip. Sometimes, but less, in my experience, start in the tip.

Look carefully your other Acro colonies. If you see sections with white skeleton frag the good branchs. Do not cut nearby the dead zone. Glue the frag in a rock and trash the rest.

Honestly.....if this do not happens to your other new acro colonies consider yourself that you won the lotery.

Can you post CLOSE UP pictures of the others acro colonies. It would be nice if we can help providing a dignosis base on the pictures.

Best
Daniel

Drs2140

Bummer, always frustrating when something like this happens. Best thing to do is uncover the reason why it happened and do your best to correct it and prevent it from happening again in the future. Reefing is definitely a learning game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk